PDA

View Full Version : Where to find wide mouthed waterproof stuff sacks??!?!?

vdubb
01-15-2018, 02:26
Hi everyone, I have been in search for a wide mouthed waterproof stuff sack, but I can't seem to find any good options. I intend to use it for a food bag. I am interested in a wide mouthed bag because it will make finding things and digging thru the food bag WAY easier.... Lightweight really isn't super important, but a plus. I am willing to trade off weight for convenience. If anyone has used one or knows a good brand that makes them, it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know!!!

Thanks!

Zed
01-15-2018, 02:39
Check out the Granite Gear zippsacks. I don't have any experience with them, but they look interesting.

https://www.granitegear.com/outdoor/packing-systems/zippered-stuffsacks

fastfoxengineering
01-15-2018, 03:29
Zpacks food bag is pretty wide mouthed.

Granite Gear zipper sack is also nice.

DIY wouldn't be so bad either.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Venchka
01-15-2018, 08:37
I own 2 REI 10 liter and 1 15 liter dry sacks. Layer your food by days. It works.
Ziplock, etc. storage bags come in sizes larger than 1 gallon. Walmart, Target, etc. sell them.
Wayne

JoeVogel
01-15-2018, 10:06
Honestly, If weight isn't an issue, you can pack of a pack of three "dry bags" of various sizes at walmart for very cheep. I weighed the largest one and it is like just about 1oz (going off memory). They are wide mouthed enough. I certainly have doubts about their waterproof ability but i'm sure they would keep food dry in mild rain. I picked up a pack just for kicks and they aren't too shabby. Mostly use them when I take my newbie friends.

Rain Man
01-15-2018, 11:10
The Ascend brand at Bass Pro Shops with clear vinyl side has worked very well for me.

vdubb
01-16-2018, 01:20
Thanks guys/gals for the feed back. The organizing by day is a good idea, because I organize by separate ziplocks for meals not days. But on my thru, I would sometimes run out of ziplocks, or mine would just get so torn up, that they became useless or turned into my new trash bag, and my food bag became a throw all until I got new ones. I've used the walmart bags, but I want wider! The Ascend is nice with the window, but it still looks narrow. I think I might try my hand in DIY. What I'm picturing is a sack wide like the air zippsack, but with a roll down top. This was just one of the small day to day things that got slightly annoying (especially when its dark, its cold, your hungry and you can't find your spoon) and I want to improve on. Thanks again for the input.

DownEaster
01-16-2018, 02:12
How wide do you need? The 20L dry bag I use for food is 16" across when flat, or about 10" at the opening in cylindrical form. There's one left here (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Waterproof-Camping-Rafting-Storage-Dry-Bag-with-Ajustable-Strap-Hook-IY/172272880478?hash=item281c438b5e:m:mJD87_dRCOsD1Oh WL5kkZVQ) for $3.73. Mine weighs 71 grams.

vdubb
01-16-2018, 22:09
That is a good deal on a wider mouthed bag, thanks. I'm thinking at least 16 inches, but maybe even like 20-24''. I'm picturing a bag that I would pack upright, not horizontal in my pack, i.e. I could unroll the top without taking the food bag out of my pack. So instead of a tall and skinny food bag, I want a fatter and slightly shorter one... I think I'm going to try and make my own, now that I realize how specific I want my food bag to be... thanks for the replies.

Miles 2 Go
01-16-2018, 22:26
I too like a wide opening food bag and I use a Zpacks food. I bought a Ursack food bag for my Colorado trail thru hike last year but never used it. I just couldn't get use to it being tall and narrow unlike the Zpacks food bag. So I'd recommend the Zpacks food bag for what you're looking for in a food bag.

bigcranky
01-16-2018, 22:37
Zpacks food bag is wide mouthed and has a roll top so it's waterproof.

RangerZ
01-16-2018, 22:41
Honestly, If weight isn't an issue, you can pack of a pack of three "dry bags" of various sizes at walmart for very cheep. I weighed the largest one and it is like just about 1oz (going off memory). They are wide mouthed enough. I certainly have doubts about their waterproof ability but i'm sure they would keep food dry in mild rain. I picked up a pack just for kicks and they aren't too shabby. Mostly use them when I take my newbie friends.

I've got a set also. The large yellow is nominally 10.75"x 22", 8 liters; the opening flat is 10". That's what I use for my food bag, good for 5-6 days of my dehydrated food. It is a vertical packed bag though. Yellow is pretty visibly when hanging, I also put a strip of reflective tape around the bottom to help find it. I'm not impressed with its waterproofness and use a turkey bag inside. All of my food is vacuum sealed or ziplocked.

I use the red 4L bag for my clothes - base layer, socks, balaclava, etc.

I'm not using the blue bag.

Venchka
01-20-2018, 01:31
Find the XL, XXL, etc. Ziplock type bags at Walmart or Target. They are square or rectangular and BIG! And CLEAR.
https://www.target.com/p/ziploc-174-jumbo-size-big-bags-3ct-xxl/-/A-12970286?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Grocery+Essentials+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9027104&gclid=CjwKCAiAy4bTBRAvEiwAFtatHBWGszlz8vdgQZ_Rt7aG eWL6l1Jh20k87p_z8zN2kbAsSVHTeGxiORoC_zYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Wayne

Lynnette
01-20-2018, 14:58
Outdoor Research. I use the Graphic Designs. It does not get mixed up w anyone elses. Has all the rings. Tough. I put a little bit of reflector tape on the bottom and the clips and use a line that has reflector in it so I can locate in fog or darkness. I love my OR large graphic designs bag.