PDA

View Full Version : Short Section of Trail Flooded/Iced in Mass

Cosmo
01-15-2018, 17:56
The Trail segment between Kellogg Rd and US Rt 7 in Mass has been subject to high water and ice from localized flooding along the Housatonic River. Even when water levels recede, there will be many places with thin/unstable ice 12" or more above the treadway. Snow cover may make it impossible to determine where the ice is and is not.

At several locations, the Trail is immediately adjacent to the riverbank, and hikers breaking through the ice could end up in the river, or in deep tributary streams. Avoid this Trail segment until bare ground is visible on the treadway. This is about 0.7 miles of trail, just alongside the river. The walk around utilizes US Rt 7. We've posted signs at each end. As long as the weather stays cold, the ice will remain after the water has subsided, leaving hollow space underneath.

I could not get to our footbridge that's a few hundred yards in from Rt 7, but was able to see one end from the adjacent corn field--I think it's probably OK.

I suspect there are similar issues along the Housatonic in CT, but have not heard from them.

Northbound hikers should turn right (south) on US Rt 7 for approximately 0.5 miles, then left onto Kellogg Rd until rejoining the AT in approx 0.2 miles at the road bridge.

Southbound hikers should continue straight ahead on Kellogg Rd, turn right (north) onto US Rt 7 and rejoin the AT in approx 0.5 miles, turning left at the crossing of US Rt 7.

Cosmo

hikermiker
01-17-2018, 12:00
There are similar issues near Kent, CT. There are a couple of ice jams there and so:
The AT in Kent, CT between RT 341 and Skiff Mountain Rd. is closed due to unsafe ice and flooding conditions involving the Macedonia Brook crossing. As a portion of the Skiff Mountain Road and River Road has been closed by the Town of Kent, the AT is essentially inaccessible between RT 341 and Cornwall Bridge. The 341-Skiff Mountain Road trail closure will remain in effect until further notice.

Sarcasm the elf
01-17-2018, 12:06
There are similar issues near Kent, CT. There are a couple of ice jams there and so:
The AT in Kent, CT between RT 341 and Skiff Mountain Rd. is closed due to unsafe ice and flooding conditions involving the Macedonia Brook crossing. As a portion of the Skiff Mountain Road and River Road has been closed by the Town of Kent, the AT is essentially inaccessible between RT 341 and Cornwall Bridge. The 341-Skiff Mountain Road trail closure will remain in effect until further notice.
Search youtube for Kent CT Housatonic river ice jam. Some of the footage is epic.

Sarcasm the elf
01-17-2018, 21:47
https://youtu.be/o7yNTHDamII

imscotty
01-17-2018, 23:40
Impressive

Cosmo
01-18-2018, 20:33
Went out to the section today, and the river is down about 5ft. Plenty of ice remaining on the trail, but no risk of falling into the river.

Took the signs down today, too.

Not sure what the current situation in CT at Macedonia Creek is at this point, on Monday the footbridge was buried in the middle of an ice flow.

Cosmo

The Trail segment between Kellogg Rd and US Rt 7 in Mass has been subject to high water and ice from localized flooding along the Housatonic River. Even when water levels recede, there will be many places with thin/unstable ice 12" or more above the treadway. Snow cover may make it impossible to determine where the ice is and is not.

At several locations, the Trail is immediately adjacent to the riverbank, and hikers breaking through the ice could end up in the river, or in deep tributary streams. Avoid this Trail segment until bare ground is visible on the treadway. This is about 0.7 miles of trail, just alongside the river. The walk around utilizes US Rt 7. We've posted signs at each end. As long as the weather stays cold, the ice will remain after the water has subsided, leaving hollow space underneath.

I could not get to our footbridge that's a few hundred yards in from Rt 7, but was able to see one end from the adjacent corn field--I think it's probably OK.

I suspect there are similar issues along the Housatonic in CT, but have not heard from them.

Northbound hikers should turn right (south) on US Rt 7 for approximately 0.5 miles, then left onto Kellogg Rd until rejoining the AT in approx 0.2 miles at the road bridge.

Southbound hikers should continue straight ahead on Kellogg Rd, turn right (north) onto US Rt 7 and rejoin the AT in approx 0.5 miles, turning left at the crossing of US Rt 7.

Cosmo

hikermiker
01-23-2018, 09:32
I hiked along River Road in Kent yesterday. The road is closed to vehicles. The road was icy/slushy. I wore microspikes and had no problem until I got to an unbridged stream crossing. Normally it is easy to rock hop, but there was spongy ice on the rocks and it was not clear where the rock actually were. I turned around.

Slo-go'en
01-23-2018, 10:23
With another heavy rain followed by single digit temps coming today, conditions will likely get bad again. The trails here in the Whites are quickly turning into ice flows.