PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of quilt/ Qs on sizing

red5
01-16-2018, 09:17
Hello all, I have spent hours and hours researching previous posts on this site and other sites. I'm gonna get in touch with some manufacturers as well but wanted to get some responses from users with real world experience. I guess I am interested in a quilt for the weight and space savings (although I've heard some very good arguments that this may not be the case when getting into sub freezing temps). I am also interested in a more comfortable sleep system (the mummy can be a bit restricting for me).

I know this is all very dependent on the individual so I guess I'm looking for your experiences and what has worked for you.

I'm 5'11" and would consider myself a bit on the scrawny side. I tend to sleep on side and stomach. I strictly sleep on the ground.

1. Length: Being 71" tall and sleeping on my stomach a lot, I'd say 78 inches. It looks like that would be "regular" size at Enlightened Equipment and the "78L" size for the UGQ Bandit (I'm sort of looking at those two companies). That seem correct? And so if the footbox is cinched up would that shorten the length a bit? By how much? I sort of want something I can wrap myself up into.

2. Width: Choices for EE are 54", 58" and 64". For UGQ I can get 55". Any compelling reason to select any one of those? It's hard to know what I need or want. 58" seems like it's in the middle. Are ground sleepers happy with 54"? 58"?

3. Temperature: I currently use a 20 degree mummy and usually hike North East USA spring through fall. It has worked for me in all kinds of temps. With a lack of funds I need something that's all purpose, or at least as all purpose as it gets. I'd go 30*, especially since I tend to sleep a bit warm. Hard to make decisions!

4. Any concerns using a quilt in a lean to, fabric getting snagged on floor? If it's wide enough could one simply just wrap up in a quilt like a sleeping bag and sleep on the sleeping pad in this way?

5. Down okay for north east summers? I'm sure lots of hikers must use it and if one is careful enough then it ought to be okay. I've always used synthetic so down would be new.

The two quilts I've been looking at :

A "Regular 6' x 58" bag" (so I believe that is 78" x 58" at the top) weighs 21.13 ounces and costs $290 at EE. They treat their down. The specs page says the bag uses a 13L stuff sack but surely it would compress down by quite a bit if need be? They have some ready to order or the lead time is 2-4 weeks.

A UGQ Bandit quilt measures 78" x 55" (at the top) weights 22.05 ounces and costs $199.95. They don't treat their down because they think this is a better way. Lead time is 9-10 weeks.

Is the EE worth the extra dough? Seems they are fairly similar with the EE being 3 inches wider.

Thank you to all for reading and taking the time to respond with your experience and thoughts.

Huntmog
01-16-2018, 09:33
I have a long/ wide 20 enigma. I'm also just over 5'11 and like the extra material to wrap up in the cold. I'm also a chaotic sleeper so I needed the extra material to cover me as I toss and turn.

Heliotrope
01-16-2018, 09:34
I’m 6’ and 185 lbs. I have been using quilts for the last 10 years. Like you, mummy bags usually feel restricting for me. Currently I use a EE enigma 20 deg, long and wide. I prefer the ability to fully cover my head and wrap the quilt way under me. Especially if you are side sleeping a narrow quilt may leave you drafty. It’s tempting to cut ounces and go narrower and shorter but not worth it IMO. I’m not a bivy user but some find it helps keep the quilt in place. FWIW I find the EE quilt to be very light, compressible, and well made. The 20 deg rating works well for me down to about 30 with an R 3.5 pad, warm hat, and base layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

red5
01-16-2018, 09:37
I have a long/ wide 20 enigma. I'm also just over 5'11 and like the extra material to wrap up in the cold. I'm also a chaotic sleeper so I needed the extra material to cover me as I toss and turn.

Oh wow thank you so much for your quick reply. So yours is 84" by 58" then, right? Would you say the regular sized (78") would be not long enough for your needs? Thanks!

red5
01-16-2018, 09:41
I’m 6’ and 185 lbs. I have been using quilts for the last 10 years. Like you, mummy bags usually feel restricting for me. Currently I use a EE enigma 20 deg, long and wide. I prefer the ability to fully cover my head and wrap the quilt way under me. Especially if you are side sleeping a narrow quilt may leave you drafty. It’s tempting to cut ounces and go narrower and shorter but not worth it IMO. I’m not a bivy user but some find it helps keep the quilt in place. FWIW I find the EE quilt to be very light, compressible, and well made. The 20 deg rating works well for me down to about 30 with an R 3.5 pad, warm hat, and base layers.

Looks like you have the same quilt as the poster above you too so I suppose I have the same question. But I discovered something just now. The specs page at EE say the Enigma Long is 78" whereas the Revelation Regular is 78" so perhaps that is because of the footbox?

So your quilt being 78 inches long is enough to wrap up your head then? That sounds ideal to have that option available. I appreciate your response.

Huntmog
01-16-2018, 09:56
Correct on the 78. I'm not even sure the next sizes were an option when I got it. Any bigger and it would be spilling over and just bunching in my opinion

wordstew
01-16-2018, 10:16
I find UGQ is a great value for a quality quilt. I got a UGQ bandit 20 degree and love it... for about the same $$ as purchasing an EE quilt I got to purchase 3 items my UGQ a Thermarest technical blanket (on sale) and a NuDown Men's Mount Whitney Vest.

https://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-Proton-Blanket/dp/B077BCYDX1

https://www.amazon.com/NuDown-Mens-Mount-Whitney-Vest/dp/B016OUWQ9W

Don't get me wrong EE is a quality quilt but so is UGQ.

Heliotrope
01-16-2018, 12:01
[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Looks like you have the same quilt as the poster above you too so I suppose I have the same question. But I discovered something just now. The specs page at EE say the Enigma Long is 78" whereas the Revelation Regular is 78" so perhaps that is because of the footbox?

So your quilt being 78 inches long is enough to wrap up your head then? That sounds ideal to have that option available. I appreciate your response.

Not sure about the length discrepancy between revelation and enigma. However, I prefer the sewn closed footbox. In warm weather the extra length allows me to slide out of the footbox easily.

JPritch
01-16-2018, 16:35
Good info here. Getting a quilt before spring season but didn't know the optimal size. At 6'3 250, looks like it's xlong/xwide for me.

mtntopper
01-16-2018, 19:26
I use a Hammock Gear long and wide for ground dwelling on a pad of course under a Hyperlite 8.5 square tarp topped off with a MLD superlite bivy for cowboy camping and extreme rain. Yes down material as well. See you tube videos by Evans Backpacking he is using the same set up.

garlic08
01-16-2018, 21:34
At 5-9+ and 155#, the medium EE size is just long enough to pull over my head as a hood. I'd get a long at your height. I got the regular width and it's perfect.

I bought my 30F quilt for a bicycle tour that started in wet Cascade snow, saw sustained 100+ temps across the Midwest, and ended in the Northeast. The down was fantastic for all conditions. An unanticipated bonus was how clean it stayed, since I never actually laid on it with bare skin. A few minutes of sunshine once in a while and it stayed fresh for a two month trip. I have yet to launder it five years later. I think it's one of the best gear purchases I've ever made, and don't regret the price for a good EE quilt one bit.

Do you ever let your synthetic insulation get wet? If so, down may not be for you. After a couple of decades of using synthetics, I realized I'd never gotten a wet bag even after four years of traveling in the Cascades and Olympics. So I switched to down and immediately kicked myself for waiting so long. It's superior in all ways (until it isn't, as they say).

If I'm not sleeping in my silnylon shelter, I use it as a ground cloth, even in the few AT shelters I visited on my thru. I had no problems with the floors, but it was a very small sample.

Good luck with your purchase and I hope you appreciate it as much as I do mine.

red5
01-17-2018, 05:25
At 5-9+ and 155#, the medium EE size is just long enough to pull over my head as a hood. I'd get a long at your height. I got the regular width and it's perfect.

I bought my 30F quilt for a bicycle tour that started in wet Cascade snow, saw sustained 100+ temps across the Midwest, and ended in the Northeast. The down was fantastic for all conditions. An unanticipated bonus was how clean it stayed, since I never actually laid on it with bare skin. A few minutes of sunshine once in a while and it stayed fresh for a two month trip. I have yet to launder it five years later. I think it's one of the best gear purchases I've ever made, and don't regret the price for a good EE quilt one bit.

Do you ever let your synthetic insulation get wet? If so, down may not be for you. After a couple of decades of using synthetics, I realized I'd never gotten a wet bag even after four years of traveling in the Cascades and Olympics. So I switched to down and immediately kicked myself for waiting so long. It's superior in all ways (until it isn't, as they say).

If I'm not sleeping in my silnylon shelter, I use it as a ground cloth, even in the few AT shelters I visited on my thru. I had no problems with the floors, but it was a very small sample.

Good luck with your purchase and I hope you appreciate it as much as I do mine.
Thank you for your reply. I think I will definitely pull the trigger on an EE or another brand. It seems most people rave about quilts. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

saltysack
01-17-2018, 23:27
I love my EE Enigma also. I’m 5’11 @ 220lbs and use the long/wide as others said it’s nice to have the extra length to cover your head if need be. If you skinny the regular width should be sufficient.

Ethesis
01-18-2018, 14:05
Shelter floors I’ve met on my four section hikes were all pretty smooth. Since I wouldn’t sleep on one without a pad the concern I’ve had was pad protection—never had a problem with any quilt used.

I have a footprint I use for my tent and in shelters now just in case.

Just a sheet of polycro.

magic_game03
01-18-2018, 17:05
The reason the Revelation (regular) length is so long is that you have to tie off about 6 inches to close the foot box. in the enigma the foot box is sewn shut, so you don't need the extra material to tie off.

scrabbler
01-18-2018, 17:45
The narrow quilts work best for the hammock folks. Wide is best for ground dwellers.

red5
01-19-2018, 05:29
Thanks for the responses. I suppose I'm just a bit nervous about purchasing a quilt. Can't really try them out before you buy. They seem to resell pretty well though. Thanks again!

Rex Clifton
01-19-2018, 09:02
At 5'11", you definitely wanna go with a regular length quilt. While going up in size on a sleeping bag does not alter performance, it does with a quilt. The way to properly size a quilt is to get in sitting up, pull the quilt up until your feet hit the end of the footbox, cince up the neck and lie down. The quilt should naturally snug up against your sides while not pinching your neck. If you're a side sleeper, I would opt for the 58" width, anything wider would be overkill. IMHO, the best overall quilt is the Katabatic Gear Palisade. Its rated at 30°, but is really warm. It also has the best pad attachment system of any quilt I've used. It will cost you, though.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Pringles
01-19-2018, 09:12
You've now heard some answers about sizing. You could go buy some inexpensive fleece, or even use an old sheet to sew a quilt the size you think might be correct. Then sleep with it on top of your bed for a night or two and see if you think it'll really work. Then when you order it, and it finally comes, you can revel in how nice it is compared to your tester sheet/fleece. :-)

Maui Rhino
01-19-2018, 14:05
Before I made my own quilt, I laid on my side, on top of my pad, and had my wife measure the distance from the ground, over my shoulders, to the ground on the other side. I also did this over my hips, and used this information to calculate the minimum width I needed. I included the thickness of the pad..... Well 2x the thickness, actually....to get a little extra coverage than the bare minimum.

Sandy of PA
01-19-2018, 22:09
I used a blanket and a bunch of safety pins to figure out my size before I built my quilt kit.

blw2
01-20-2018, 09:43
sort of a hijack, if so my apologies...but I think it's a related question to sizing and will be helpful to OP and others....
so regarding length
in your experience, does length need change depending on sewn footbox or drawstring type?
it seems to be that bunching up the drawstring at the bottom would eat up some of the length
so do you need to order a bit longer if not getting the sewn box? (for example to get equal ability to pull over head)

magic_game03
01-20-2018, 14:51
does length need change depending on sewn footbox or drawstring type?
it seems to be that bunching up the drawstring at the bottom would eat up some of the length

Yep, (I did answer that in the #15 post) but just to reiterate... it does. takes up about 6" extra in my experience.

dreamweaver21
01-26-2018, 00:20
Not sure if I am late to this discussion but I have 2 EE quilts. First one I bought was a 20 degree regular length duck down. It was way too hot most nights and way too short for a side / stomach sleeper 5'10" 165lbs. I had to curl my legs in to get the quilt over my head in 20 degrees. It kept me alive but not comfortable. It was also way too hot for 50 degree nights.

Second one I bought was a 50 degree goose down whatever the most expensive fill they have LONG one. Much better. I can pull it over my head and somewhat sleep.

I definitely recommend going for a longer quilt if you side or stomach sleep.

red5
01-26-2018, 06:01
Dreamweaver21, the regular being 72" long and long being 78" long? I'm also thinking 78" would be a good fit (I'm about same height and weight). What width do you have and do you find it comfortable for sleeping on side and stomach?

Thank you!

blw2
01-26-2018, 16:26
Not sure if I am late to this discussion but I have 2 EE quilts. First one I bought was a 20 degree regular length duck down. It was way too hot most nights and way too short for a side / stomach sleeper 5'10" 165lbs. I had to curl my legs in to get the quilt over my head in 20 degrees. It kept me alive but not comfortable. It was also way too hot for 50 degree nights.

Second one I bought was a 50 degree goose down whatever the most expensive fill they have LONG one. Much better. I can pull it over my head and somewhat sleep.

I definitely recommend going for a longer quilt if you side or stomach sleep.

which type of footbox on those quilts?

Dogwood
01-26-2018, 19:03
Before going down the quilt rabbit hole abyss stop. Consider mummies also come in different measurements and cuts. Making absolute decisions about how comfortable a mummy bag is without factoring these in leads to short sighted conclusions.

It sounds like you toss from side to side to stomach. I'm a side to side sleeper. Perhaps one of the most import measurements, at least I find for myself with a lean body shape and 34" waist, or those who sleep in the fetal position is hip, followed by shoulder girth. For example, as a general ULer with light to SUL gear pieces and desiring a high thermal efficient cut I would love to opt for the lightest 20* conventional style itsy bitsy mummy cut sleeping bag from FF being the Hummingbird UL. The shoulder and hip girths don't work for me as a side sleeper and with my body shape though. Trying to sleep in a Hummingbird UL with a 58* shoulder and 52" hip girth I felt like an uncomfortable overstuffed cannoli where I thought I'd rip out the zipper when I turned onto my side. I'm much more comfortable in my sleep position with the med sized mummy cut 20* Swallow UL. FF also offers the Swift UL in larger measurements for broader shouldered, wider hipped folks and for those wearing bulkier sleep clothing. IMO, some of those folks opting for a quilt because they thought that would solve sizing and sleeping issues would have been better off if they gave greater consideration to these mummy bag factors.

Dogwood
01-26-2018, 19:32
I've owned or do own and have used or currently use a variety of mummy style sleeping bags and quilts. Some of which are: MB SS, WM, FF, and Valandre bags and EE, GoLite, HG, Katabatic, Nunatak, and ZP quilts. ZP quilts w/ and without a zip/draft tube.

Despite all the rah rah pro quilt UL fanaticism quilt sleep systems in the real world compared to mummy sleep systems are not always less wt, bulk, and cost and when they are are not to the extent often advertised! And, on a equally temp rated quilt piece(just the quilt) verse just a conventional high end accurately EN rated mummy bag(just the bag) piece comparison the temp ratings are not always equally warm! As you stated, in a one piece verse one piece comparison the colder the temps the more this can be noticed. When quilt fanatics rant on about all the benefits of a quilt what they are actually referring to is a quilt sleep system. *IMHO, it's more accurate to make comparisons and take conclusions from a sleep system verse sleep system perspective.

JPritch
01-26-2018, 22:23
Anybody have experience with using a 10/20 degree quilt wide open as a blanket during the summer? Just right, or too hot?

Sandy of PA
01-28-2018, 22:24
Too hot, I switch to a 40 degree quilt for summer.

saltysack
01-28-2018, 23:46
Anybody have experience with using a 10/20 degree quilt wide open as a blanket during the summer? Just right, or too hot?

Depends where? Out west I’ve used a 20* quilt during summer and was comfortable and simply bring lighter sleep wear/base layers....

Wyoming
01-30-2018, 18:46
I saw several references above where folks are describing pulling the quilt over their heads.

I was not aware anyone used a quilt that way. Quilts usually only come up to your chin.

If it is cold enough you need a head cover you put your down hoodie on.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/goosehood.shtml

That hoodies then doubles as the hood for your puffy (which you buy without a hood) should you need more warmth when wearing the puffy.

You can also wear the hoodie under your rain jacket hood if you are getting cold during a windy icy rain hike.

reppans
01-30-2018, 19:05
I saw several references above where folks are describing pulling the quilt over their heads.

I was not aware anyone used a quilt that way. Quilts usually only come up to your chin.

If it is cold enough you need a head cover you put your down hoodie on.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/goosehood.shtml

That hoodies then doubles as the hood for your puffy (which you buy without a hood) should you need more warmth when wearing the puffy.

You can also wear the hoodie under your rain jacket hood if you are getting cold during a windy icy rain hike.

+1... quilts pulled over the head? Are folks breathing inside the quilt (wetting insulation?)... or stomach sleeping and forming a hood? :-?

I use JRB poncho/quilts and the down hood works in both worn poncho and sleeping quilt mode.

blw2
01-30-2018, 21:49
I do the same thing at home even.....and no not over your face. I pull it up and over, sometimes just leaving a small hole just big enough for mouth/nose. That's the beauty of a quilt to me. I find it cozier to snuggle in just like at home, not the restrictive thing that a bag can be.

Just Bill
01-30-2018, 22:11
The magic number for a drawstring foot box is 6" of lost length as others have said.

If you sleep fairly static... then you can get away with a shorter quilt. But many folks looking to quilts are active sleepers and frustrated by mummy bags.
Listen to the vendor they know their own product, size up if you're not sure.

As for pulling a quilt over your head:
One reason for using a quilt is versatility over a wide range of temps.
Another can be saving a little weight by leaving a dedicated sleeping hood at home.
The other is the 80% rule... in this case pick a quilt good enough for 80% of the nights you plan to use it.
The 10% it's way to hot is easy.
The 10% it's too cold for the quilt you brought- you can form a hood with the quilt by stomach or side sleeping. You don't want to breath into your sleeping gear.
You can further improve the warmth by curling up into a fetal or semi-fetal position and combining that position with the hood trick.

If you read any of the EN rating literature they describe an 'expert sleeper' and part of the methods used to establish the lower and extreme ratings in that system is to alter the sleep position to semi-fetal to increase the heat retention of your sleep system.

Also a fine trick when making a camp puffy and/or sitting around a fire on a chilly night.

Coffee
01-31-2018, 11:58
I have a 30F Enlightened Equipment Revelation in Long/Wide configuration. I am 6'1" and about 165 pounds and could have gone with the regular width quilt except for the fact that I tend to move around a lot while I sleep and wanted the ability to tuck the quilt under me. It is wide enough for me to even snap the connections together under me (rather than to the quilt straps) if I wanted to do that. So far, I have not approached the temperature rating of the bag and probably have only gotten down to the high 40s in this bag but it has been great.

I actually get daily use from this quilt now. I am renting what turned out to be an uninsulated apartment with astronomical energy bills. I have the thermostat set at 50-55 and pretty much "live" in this quilt - on the couch when reading, and every single night in bed. I love this product and would buy from EE again - very high quality and reasonable price.

reppans
01-31-2018, 18:30
As for pulling a quilt over your head:
One reason for using a quilt is versatility over a wide range of temps.
Another can be saving a little weight by leaving a dedicated sleeping hood at home.
The other is the 80% rule... in this case pick a quilt good enough for 80% of the nights you plan to use it.
The 10% it's way to hot is easy.
The 10% it's too cold for the quilt you brought- you can form a hood with the quilt by stomach or side sleeping. You don't want to breath into your sleeping gear.
You can further improve the warmth by curling up into a fetal or semi-fetal position and combining that position with the hood trick.

Also a fine trick when making a camp puffy and/or sitting around a fire on a chilly night.

Appreciate the detailed explanation - I like it, and have been in that 10% too cold situation with my summer quilt where this might made the difference. Never occurred to me to use at home, I suppose since it's heated/warm anyway. To the point of this thread though, I wouldn't size a new quilt extra long to accommodate the hood trick - rather as you say, just use the side/fetal position to create the extra length for those exceptional nights.

On the wearable quilt issue - I don't why more manufacturers do not offer a head hole option. The hooded poncho config provides for an all-limbs-inside 'mitten' effect that is the warmest (for the weight) piece of clothing I've ever used in my usual seated position. And in a survival situation, or even just for some campsite luxury, an alcohol stove multi-tasked as candle can provide a Palmer Furnace for toasty warm micro-climate 'hot tent.' :cool:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/537/31548348391_fd5f26ab22_z.jpg

hootyhoo
02-04-2018, 21:21
I use an EE Rev, long wide. 20 degree. 900 fill. I’m 5 10 190. Side sleeper toss and turn. I like to pull it over my head completely when it gets below 25*. I would not change a thing about it. Throw on a hooded puffy and let the mercury drop. I cured my claustrophobia problem and sleep way more comfortable. I made my first two quits and found it to be very easy to do. But I no longer have sewing machine, so I bought this one. Wide allows me to tighten the straps in colder temps and pull more quilt under me to really keep the drafts out still have room for flopping around.

hootyhoo
02-04-2018, 21:23
And I got it in 10 denier inside and out. Very breathable and dries instantly.