PDA

View Full Version : Shoe solutions for bad foot pain?

Cheeseismytrailname
01-16-2018, 23:21
I知 currently planning part 2 if my thru hike. I did 500 miles in the fall from Dalton, MA to harpers ferry. I wore leather boots for the first 100 or so miles and the heel pain was severe. I swapped them for a pair or light trail runners from REI that i wore for the rest of my trip. I eventually got off trail due to absolutely terrible pain in my feet. The bones in my feet (specifically my heal and the ball of my foot) hurt with every step. I mean the kind of pain that made me see colors and cry. I hate to let this pain stop me from finishing. I want shoe recommendations from people who have also experienced severe bone pain from the sheer impact of hiking. I知 also trying to lighten my pack this time around, but I知 afraid the pain in my feet will beat me. Help!!

Astro
01-17-2018, 00:00
Have you gone to see a foot doctor yet? Physical Therapy may also help once the problem is identified.

Thefurther
01-17-2018, 07:25
do you shoes fit properly ? have you tried doing foot stretches before , during and after your hike ? have you tried inserts ? is there any other underlying problems that may cause this ? i did a 1000 mile yo yo in 2016 and my feet hurt so bad i would scream in agony to get moving . i also have 4 screws and a plate in my back and posture is thrown off from a accident that left me with a compound fracture of the left femur , fracture of the left ankle and a few other fractures that have nothing to do with my pain when i hike . i hiked the fla trail in 2013 2014 and i did not have the same problem but it is also i different terrain and not so hard on your legs , back and feet . try a shoe insert and make sure you buy shoes that fit properly . i have seen many people get fitted wrong by a someone who plays hiker at gear stores so make sure they are the right shoe size . try some oboz out they are some of the better shoes out there and will support you as you beat your feet down the trail . this is the last thing i wanted to throw out there plantars fasciitis read up on it and study it this could also be your problem . if this is your first time out on a lash you may have not known of this problem . peace my friend and hope all goes well for youon your hike . donald " grateful " ballard

AllDownhillFromHere
01-17-2018, 08:03
I am not a doctor. Sounds like it might be plantar fasciitis, or maybe a bone spur in your heel. For PF, I have heard it helps to stretch out your calves, as the tendons, ligaments and all that stuff is connected down and around the heel. You could try something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Alphabrace-Plantar-Fasciitis-Splint-Medium/dp/B001PB07S8 although I wouldn't wear it all night. Start small and then gradually tighten it up.
I did a big hike last year and didn't have any PF problems, and I was carrying as much as 35 lbs frequently.

See a doctor.

GaryM
01-20-2018, 16:30
See a foot doctor.
I am currently experimenting with kinesic tape, so far it definitely is not causing any problems and is showing signs of helping.
I have plantar fascitis, then tennis ball routine is definitely helping.

GaryM
01-20-2018, 16:32
Oops... quality shoe inserts help a lot too. If you have the money a custom molded insert could take care of it all.. if not a good commercial one can help.

FreeGoldRush
01-20-2018, 16:35
That sounds like classic symptoms of poor arch support from your shoe inserts. I'm certainly not a doctor, but a good shoe store can look at your foot and make a recommendation.

Traveler
01-20-2018, 17:00
Best advice is to see a podiatrist to determine the problem and treatments if any are needed.

Slo-go'en
01-20-2018, 17:30
You first need to figure out why you beat up the bottoms of your feet so much. Some of it might be the way you walk. If your feet hit the ground with a lot of force, that will start to burse your bones. Make sure the shoes/boots has a rock guard - a hard plastic shank down the middle of the sole. The best thing to do is go to EMS, have them measure you feet and try on several different brand boots or shoe and decide which one fit the best.

The good news is that your now past the worst of the feet numbing rocks. VT/NH/ME have rocks which are much easier on the feet - but not so much on the knees.

Feral Bill
01-20-2018, 18:22
You might try one of the Altra zero drop shoes. Lone Peaks are popular. Get from REI or elsewhere with a generous return policy. They make my feet happy.

Venchka
01-20-2018, 18:49
Have you gone to see a foot doctor yet? Physical Therapy may also help once the problem is identified.
See a physician. A Sports medicine podiatrist is where I would start.
Good luck!
Wayne

wordstew
01-22-2018, 10:13
1. Look at the bottom of your shoes to determine if you're a pronator or a supinator then pick your footwear accordingly.
2. Make sure you have a rock plate
3. Try various aftermarket insoles with cushion and support
4. Sparingly take over the counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatories for pain and swelling
5. Have a foot regimen IE: stretch, lotion, massage and elevate feet in camp (rice rule-rest/ice/compression/elevation)
6. Try compression socks and various padded socks
7. Reduce pack weight
8. Part of your regimen should be when possible ice feet/heels even when they feel ok
9. Schedule breaks more often during hike for foot care/rest change out padded/compression socks, ensure shoes are still snug

Dogwood
01-24-2018, 15:20
Yup, the foot pain issue could be more than only the shoe. It could be a number of associated causes. You might first try replacing the typically cheap swiss cheese thin unsupportive footbeds with a more cushioned one with maybe a protective rock plate IN THE SAME SHOE.

Prior to even that attempt you should learn about your foot and gait traits to make proper after market footbeds choices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dogwood
01-24-2018, 15:23
Good stuff Wordstew

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk