PDA

View Full Version : diy way to reduce pack volume

Cheyou
01-17-2018, 06:44
MLD has pack reducers on the bottom of one of their packs. I have never seen or used one . How well do they work ? I would like to modify a pack to hold less gear for summertime. I could sew tabs on the bottom and use cord like on shoes . It has compression cords on the sides. Would like to reduce the bottom from 8” to say 6”. Have a better idea of how to do it ?

thom

Shady Bill
08-31-2018, 07:29
I would just take less stuff

saltysack
08-31-2018, 08:10
It works.....but honestly I ended up going to a burn from the larger prophet as never really needed that much space even with 2-20* quilts and hammock set up. If I needed more volume it would be due to a long food carry which would put the load over it’s comfortable wt capacity. On the other hand a full pack does carry better especially on a frameless pack....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Bill
08-31-2018, 08:33
Not quite following you... unless you mean simply compression loops?

Do you carry an air mattress? IMO, that's a better, lighter, easier way to chew up volume. I do that (especially on longer food carries) rather than use compression straps. UL packs carry better when full, and simply folding your air mat up and inflating is a good way to ensure the pack body/suspension functions as intended.

That said- if you have a seam ripper:
Use a pin from the outside of the pack to mark where you want to add a tab of grosgrain (webbing). Where the mesh compartment body panel meets the side panel is usually best for DIY so you're not messing with the bulkier seams of the suspension side panel.

Then turn the pack inside out and mark with a marker, crayon or chalk so you don't loose your place.
Most pack folks use edge binding rather than rolled hems, so you'll need to rip out the seams about 3 times the width of the grosgrain.

Slip in the grosgrain tab and pin in place. Flip the pack back rightside out to confirm the position is good, then flip it back inside out and restitch the seam.
Be sure to put a few locking stitches to catch the rest of the stitch on either side of the rip so it doesn't unravel.

grubbster
08-31-2018, 08:52
Bill's air mattress idea is great. If no air mattress is used then those air bags that come in shipping boxes would work.

Just Bill
08-31-2018, 09:52
Water bladder, gallon ziploc bag, ditch the stuff sack or compression bags on your insulation.
Inflatable pillow (exped)

All good ways to maintain a full pack as you go.

A frameless pack isn't truly frameless if it is filled to rigidity.
And it saves you weight and increases comfort.
When you add compression straps, you also have to reinforce them (or use heavier fabric). You need tabs, buckles, parts, pieces. All points of potential failure. All items that encourage you to dangle items off the outside too.

Cut out all that stuff and you free up ounces to add a pillow.
A Medium exped pillow is about 10L fully inflated... reduce that to 5-8L so you don't risk damaging it and that can nearly replace a 3-4 day food bag on it's own... In fact using it to 'refill' your food bag is a good way to keep that 'spot' in your bag filled and your pack loading consistent as the trip progresses.
In my opinion... going UL is just as much about building room for luxury/comfort by making good choices on critical items.

https://www.rei.com/product/830617/exped-air-pillow?CAWELAID=120217890000803782&s_kwcid=PS_Google|401_4256318|REI_DSA|NB|ee08fe4b-c1f4-4000-9526-1d50f0a8de17|aud-371242907461:dsa-192203800565&kclid=ee08fe4b-c1f4-4000-9526-1d50f0a8de17&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkOi4kLaX3QIVkMDACh2PGghZEAAYASAA EgJDBfD_BwE

Venchka
08-31-2018, 10:04
The medium red Exped pillow that Just Bill linked to offers me a great night’s sleep. An integral part of my sleep system.
Wayne