PDA

View Full Version : Face Masks / Goggles and other ways to keep face warm.

SkeeterPee
01-17-2018, 17:49
I am looking for some good options to keep the face warm in cold weather especially when windy. I currently use bandana or half buff for face with a hat.. This works in many conditions, but does not fully cover the face. I either am wearing glasses or if I have my hard contacts in, I wear safety glasses to protect the eyes from drying out if wearing contacts.

I was doing a search and found these Cold Avenger face masks. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VWJVA0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2ONYSDEE52TFF&colid=A3B675FOMN6Z&psc=0

That along with a set of ski goggles would fully cover face. Combine with a hat and buff if really cold.

The problem is 1) keeping everything covered and 2) avoiding fogging up the lenses.

Anyone have experience with something like this and goggles? Is fogging still a factor? Is it overkill to have a mask if not sub zero? Currently I hike a lot in the 10-20F range, sometimes with wind. I am also thinking if I do a thru hike and start in GA in February is something like this needed if you are hiking all day long.

experiences with this mask? other options? recommendations on goggles?

Thanks for your recommendations.

Venchka
01-17-2018, 18:25
Why not start slow and inexpensive with a wind proof balaclava. Worst case you can sleep in it. I sleep in a balaclava below freezing, in the Teens even.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019F18TX4?aaxitk=CUDCv8dWKf9pRy6s47.jjg&th=1&psc=1
Wayne

SkeeterPee
01-17-2018, 19:10
Why not start slow and inexpensive with a wind proof balaclava. Worst case you can sleep in it. I sleep in a balaclava below freezing, in the Teens even.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019F18TX4?aaxitk=CUDCv8dWKf9pRy6s47.jjg&th=1&psc=1
Wayne

While that would keep the face better covered it looks like it would cause fogging just like using a buff on my face.

Turtle-2013
01-17-2018, 19:19
Use Cat Crap anti fog ( https://www.amazon.com/EK-Cat-Crap-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B002ZNA488 ) .... or something similar to reduce or eliminate fogging when everything is covered up. Also make sure your breath vents away from your googles or glasses. Any ski shop can help you with a solution that will work.

peakbagger
01-17-2018, 20:27
My lightweight balaclava has gone from Maine to Georgia. One of the best "bangs" for not many ounces. Roll it up and it makes nice night cap.

reppans
01-17-2018, 20:29
Was a life-long VT downhill skier, now BC XC skier and winter hiker (due to knee injury), and I wear eyeglasses. Absolutely ~10F with windchill added and I will be going for total skin coverage. My standard rig for decades has been ski googles (look for 'OTG' for Over The Glasses) and neoprene Seirus Original Masques.

https://www.seirus.com/original-masque-6120.html

I actually have a slightly thinner neoprene version, which I like best, but they don't seem to make it anymore. Not as much of a fan of their fleece lined versions as it retains more breath moisture, and really hate breathing through fabric scarves, bandannas, buffs, neck fleeces, etc which quickly soak and then freeze solid as a rock. I think the all-neoprene versions retain the least breath moisture but make sure it fits well - ie tight enough so breath exits straight out the nose/mouth holes, and doesn't circulate inside a loose masque. Still, every hour or so there will be enough moisture build-up to start fogging the googles so I remove the masque, turn it inside out and squeeze/wipe it on a pant leg, and it's virtually dry again. Never had neoprene freeze on my face.

Sealing the face makes a huge difference in perceived warmth.

fiddlehead
01-17-2018, 21:02
We sell a lot of these for $10: http://www.theunderwearguys.com/light-weight-windbloc-fleece-hoods-p-263.html
Personally when it gets below zero F, I wear goggles and a neck gaiter: http://www.theunderwearguys.com/fleece-neck-gaiters-p-249.html
(kept me warm the winter I worked construction outside in northern (Stratton) Maine)

Slo-go'en
01-17-2018, 21:10
The neoprene face mask and goggles is the way to go if it's really extreme conditions. Like on Mt Washington last week (or anywhere in the Whites above tree line). In less extreme conditions I use a neck gaiter. I have a fleece one and a wind proof one depending on conditions. I guess in some ways it's like a buff, but heavier material. I'm not a fan of balaclavas for some reason, although I own several of those in various weights.

Dogwood
01-17-2018, 21:39
I have the same cold windy weather face/head set up... merino beanie, Buff, sunglasses and usually a shell with hood that's up. The sunglasses I once used under those conditions were cheaper optics which I still get away with during fairer weather. The fogging up of the lenses was due to not using higher quality anti fogless optics. Glacier type glasses with removable leather or synthetic side covers that come almost all the way around and under the eyes help keep them from fogging up. Also, try a fogless spray solution on your lenses. http://www.google.com/shopping/product/12264474915328035504?lsf=seller:7815,store:7346247 697303681357&prds=oid:12229387959583522472&q=fogless+sunglassesz&hl=en&ei=7PRfWsaKNY6isAXaoa2IBg&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bath_local&lsft=mrkgcl:609,mrkgadid:3253336290,rkg_id:0,mcid: PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bath_local,product_id:428774 17,adtype:pla,product_channel:local,adpos:1o5,crea tive:232742510341,device:c,matchtype:,network:g&lsft=gclid:CjwKCAiAhfzSBRBTEiwAN-ysWIo99QF6NWO8JVVXEpjjeOnpH_5_l9yTULJlBOvKBQGbw_wW Uh10YBoCu-EQAvD_BwE

tomlinson
01-18-2018, 10:12
I sweat heavily and have no end of problems with all the solutions given (except the OP's Cold Avenger suggestion). Glacier glasses - no go. Goggles - no go. No combination of mask and eye coverage seems to work for me. I was contemplating making my millions by solving this problem while hiking in the NH Whites on Monday, but did not come up with an answer. Best solution for me has proven to be a neoprene mask with my hat pulled down and a neck gaiter below and nothing covering the eyes. No frostbite to date.

rockyiss
01-18-2018, 22:02
My grandson had a problem with his glasses and his goggles fogging up when skiing. Then a friend gave him some goggles with a fan in them. Took one small battery that lasted forever. When they would start to fog up he hit the button to turn on the fan and presto no fog !! Instead of stopping to wipe down the goggles all the time we got to ski !

Traveler
01-19-2018, 09:38
FWIW - I've never had much success with the various cold weather garments and gadgets I have used. Breathing through fabric is problematic for chapped lips and skin freezing, face gear tends to fog up glasses and goggles, and sweat is an adventure in and of itself. A few years ago I was without a balaclava and had to improvise on a cold day when the winds came up. I used two "half" Buffs to cover up and found the combination to be nearly perfect, without the problems I have experienced with other gear.

I put the first half buff around my neck, raising it up so it covered my chin to the lower lip and the back of my neck. Then put the second one under my chin and stretched it up over the top of my head and pulled it forward to allow about an inch or so of fabric so it was loose around the face (almost like a hood would fit). Then I put my winter cap on to cover the balance of my head.

The chin and neck buff worked very well, the buff around my face deflected wind pretty well and I did not have fogging issues with my glasses. Its a combination I use now routinely with both glasses and goggles. Might be worth a try.

George
01-20-2018, 22:43
I have used the polar wrap (breath through a copper mesh) should be similar to avenger -not perfect but better than anything else I know of

I have played around with adapting a full face respirator to a cold weather mask- the idea would be the "in" breath would draw dry air past the lenses (avoiding fogging) past a valve and though a copper mesh - the "out" breath would pass the mesh, through a second valve to the out side

main problem is the full face respirator pre conversion is over a 100

SkeeterPee
01-21-2018, 11:56
FWIW - I've never had much success with the various cold weather garments and gadgets I have used. Breathing through fabric is problematic for chapped lips and skin freezing, face gear tends to fog up glasses and goggles, and sweat is an adventure in and of itself. A few years ago I was without a balaclava and had to improvise on a cold day when the winds came up. I used two "half" Buffs to cover up and found the combination to be nearly perfect, without the problems I have experienced with other gear.

I put the first half buff around my neck, raising it up so it covered my chin to the lower lip and the back of my neck. Then put the second one under my chin and stretched it up over the top of my head and pulled it forward to allow about an inch or so of fabric so it was loose around the face (almost like a hood would fit). Then I put my winter cap on to cover the balance of my head.

The chin and neck buff worked very well, the buff around my face deflected wind pretty well and I did not have fogging issues with my glasses. Its a combination I use now routinely with both glasses and goggles. Might be worth a try.

I'll try this as soon as it gets cold again. I would think would reduce fogging since your mouth/nose is not covered. And it should keep you cheeks warm, But what happens when you are walking straight into the wind. I would think you upper lip and nose get cold/frostbitten after awhile depending on temperature/wind.

Dogwood
01-21-2018, 12:20
Suggest you read this. https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/set-up-maintenance/stop-goggles-fogging.html

Googles in themselves are not a solution for fogging up lenses.

One of the reasons why I use glacier type sunglasses is to help avoid fog inside the lenses from warm air rising when used with a Buff. Applying an anti fogging solution helps too.

nsherry61
01-21-2018, 15:27
Lots of insight above.

SectionHiker.com did a piece on keeping your eyewear from fogging here. (https://sectionhiker.com/how-to-keep-your-goggles-from-fogging-in-winter/)
Several of Philips suggestions are great old standbys, some I've found don't work for me at all. They are probably all worth expermenting with for you personally. Notice, ColdAvenger is not one of the solutions listed . . . possibly for good reason.

My personal experience is that:
- High-end eyewear often has better anti-fog lens coatings than less expensive stuff.
- Cat Crap works well in significantly reducing, but not eliminating, fogging on most all eyewear.
- When wearing glasses, they will ALWAYS fog up if you have your nose covered, even when using face gear that claims otherwise.
- When it's not snowing or so cold that I need everything covered, I get by well with covering my whole face except my eyes, so fogging is not a problem because I am not using eyewear.
- When it is sunny or snowing or snow is blowing or it is extremely cold and windy where I need eye protection, I either keep my nose exposed or I don my goggles. Again, for me, goggles are the only solution for avoiding fogging while keeping my nose covered.
- To keep goggles from fogging in normal use read the SectionHiker blog post.
- To keep your goggles from fogging when your nose is covered, the most important thing is to have goggles that fit and seal super well all across your cheeks and the transition to and around your nose. Any slight air gaps on the bottom side of your goggles will defeat all your other fog avoidance procedures. So yes, you will likely need to replace your goggles as most goggles don't fit most peoples faces well enough to avoid all air intrusion from below.

Good luck and make sure to share with the rest of us what works and doesn't work for you.

Have fun.

AllDownhillFromHere
01-21-2018, 19:58
A beard is free. Not sure if it should count against your baseweight as worn or carried though.

Venchka
01-21-2018, 21:42
One of these...
https://m.kohls.com/product/prd-3052003/mens-urban-pipeline-herringbone-trapper-hat.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=YOUNG%20MENS%20ACC&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=61566119&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=196835852&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZHTBRCBARIsAMbXLhFJj3DHov5ulNazRgvl-UWSnqBEkoy93WHBfDFgSWABYw1L0XVm1RIaAi13EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNfbxae36tgCFQE7TwodDuEDsw
...and a buff. Or a bandana. Back in the Stone Age a wool scarf covering my face worked to/from the bus stop in western MA. Eyewear of choice. Don’t over think this stuff.
Wayne

Traveler
01-22-2018, 07:59
I'll try this as soon as it gets cold again. I would think would reduce fogging since your mouth/nose is not covered. And it should keep you cheeks warm, But what happens when you are walking straight into the wind. I would think you upper lip and nose get cold/frostbitten after awhile depending on temperature/wind.
Directly into a wind can be an issue depending on how cold it is. Though there is something about how that loose bit of fabric around the face and forehead works to lessen the effects of wind, I keep a light acrylic scarf for that circumstance. If changing the position of my face to the wind doesn't work, there is a fall back garment, even if not used a lot.

Time Zone
01-22-2018, 10:48
Late last year I snapped up a couple balaclavas at Costco, one for me, and one for my son, who went off to college up north. Bula brand, made with Polartec. Super light, nice design, a few options on how to wear it (jack of all trades, master of none). But I felt it didn't block the wind near as well as a very old polartec hat from REI. Granted, the last one has been thru the wash many times and the Bula has not, so I'm not sure if the "weave" (if there is one) would tighten up with washing.

There are other combos that would work - scarf and hat, neck gaiter and hat, etc. But a fleece balaclava would be my first thought, and certainly recommended over the others for backpacking when weight and bulk are concerns.

Time Zone
03-22-2021, 13:20
Late last year I snapped up a couple balaclavas at Costco, one for me, and one for my son, who went off to college up north. Bula brand, made with Polartec. Super light, nice design, a few options on how to wear it (jack of all trades, master of none). But I felt it didn't block the wind near as well as a very old polartec hat from REI. Granted, the last one has been thru the wash many times and the Bula has not, so I'm not sure if the "weave" (if there is one) would tighten up with washing.

Long-term update: that polartec hat from REI that was so good at wind blocking? Turns out it had plastic film built in to it (not unlike saran wrap), between its layers! A few months ago I noticed a crinkly sound from the hat and a hole beginning to form. I have a lot of hats, so I decided to sacrifice it and investigate. Lo and behold, the secret to wind blocking is an impermeable layer of plastic film! I guess it started to crinkle with age and as it detached from the fleece layer to which it was bonded.

JNI64
03-22-2021, 14:59
I have a military issue polartec fleece jacket for winter. I agree absolutely amazing at cutting wind, so warm .