PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hike the TMB?

saltysack
01-18-2018, 13:45
My wife has always wanted to visit these parts of Europe....so why not make a hike out of it...looks and sounds amazing. She’s a school teacher so would be between June and July. Just starting looking into so any insight appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
01-18-2018, 13:58
I assume you're talking about the Tour de Mont Blanc, and we're looking at it too. But: two separate couples who have hiked both the TMB and the Haute Route have said they both like the Haute Route better.

Here's a comparison page:

https://www.alpenwild.com/staticpage/tour-du-mont-blanc-vs-the-haute-route/

We're looking at next year for the Haute Route, probably September. Best month over there IMHO, just like here. But being restricted to June and July, I would suggest earlier is better; lots of Europeans take their holiday in late July. Of course, it depends on snow cover for earlier.... again, just like here!

Kinda purty over there.......

saltysack
01-18-2018, 14:28
Thx Rob...great info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evyck da fleet
01-18-2018, 17:14
Yep, I did the TMB 5 years ago for the same reason. I’ve also heard the same about the Haute Route because it’s point to point (more varied scenery) and less crowded. I was going to try to cram in both but turned the TMB into a social hike.

I’d like to return to hike the Route and also to see the Dolomites in Italy.

You can also take a train to Zermatt from Chsmonix to see the Matterhorn if you’ve only got two weeks.

If you can’t wait until September, expect some rain in July. There’s enough snow on the mountains that after five days of sun enough snow will melt to create clouds and rain.

colorado_rob
01-18-2018, 18:37
FWIW, I spent some time in Chamonix before and after out Mont Blanc climb, then spent some time in Zermatt before and after our Matterhorn attempt (got snowed off in August...). I much MUCH preferred time spent in Zermatt over that spent in Chamonix. Chamonix is a ski/tourist town on steroids, whereas Zermatt, though touristy, is less so. More of a climbing town. Lots to climb right there, including Monta Rosa, one of my top-5 favorite mountains. Cool town, Zermatt. Bring money! Ain't cheap.