PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Shuttler

dthompson451
01-18-2018, 17:53
I live in Albany, NY, not terribly far from trailheads in NY/CT/MA/VT. I noticed there aren't too many existing shuttles in that area. I'd be willing to potentially provide transportation to and from the Albany area as my schedule allows. My question is, do the shuttles listed all have some sort of permit, or are they sort of informal? What must one do to be on the list of shuttles? Thanks.

Thefurther
01-18-2018, 17:59
i'm not sure what the rules are up there . study and call some local shuttles and ask them what they are doing . they very from state to state . to get on the list call the atc or email them and ask them to put you on the list and tell them what you are willing to do . same with all the other place like whiteblaze , aldha , awol . get in contact with them and ask them to put you on a list . it might take a year but you will get on there

Feral Bill
01-18-2018, 18:01
You are in New York. Expect extensive regulation.

Thefurther
01-18-2018, 18:05
i was thinking that same thing about those states .

Traveler
01-18-2018, 18:21
I'm sure if one is carrying people for a fee (donations are fees by any other definition) insurance is probably required. Personal auto insurance won't cover any incident if the vehicle is being used commercially, so it may require commercial insurance or a commercial rider to a personal policy. Some may see that as onerous, I would think most see it as common sense to protect personal assets and paying passengers.

If the plan is to offer rides at no cost depending on your schedule and route, I doubt there would be a need for that as it would be personal use.

TNhiker
01-18-2018, 18:38
theres a whole nutter thread on the same topic that from last week...

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/127997-Becoming-Shuttle-Driver

Dogwood
01-19-2018, 00:20
I'm sure if one is carrying people for a fee (donations are fees by any other definition) insurance is probably required. Personal auto insurance won't cover any incident if the vehicle is being used commercially, so it may require commercial insurance or a commercial rider to a personal policy. Some may see that as onerous, I would think most see it as common sense to protect personal assets and paying passengers.

If the plan is to offer rides at no cost depending on your schedule and route, I doubt there would be a need for that as it would be personal use.I hear a 75% reduction in biz laws that were deemed onerous by some very wealthy biz tycoons was in the works? He he he

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Traveler
01-19-2018, 09:21
I hear a 75% reduction in biz laws that were deemed onerous by some very wealthy biz tycoons was in the works? He he he

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Heard about that too, apparently business cannot be successful in an regulatory environment of pollution controls, product safety, and customer protection.

Bronk
01-19-2018, 13:51
Agree on a price up front, and then don't get mad if that is all they pay you. Seriously. See too many people on here complaining about offering a service for a donation and then getting mad because they don't think people are donating enough. Set a price you are willing to work for. If somebody wants to tip you above and beyond that its gravy, but don't expect it...you will be disappointed. If you are doing it for fun or something to do and just want to be reimbursed for gas money, don't get upset when people take advantage of you or complain about the service you are providing...while you may consider yourself a volunteer, they do not.

Dogwood
01-19-2018, 16:06
Heard about that too, apparently business cannot be successful in an regulatory environment of pollution controls, product safety, and customer protection.

That's not the narrative. Shhh :) We've seen what happens when biz self regulates.

Deer Hunter
01-19-2018, 21:07
I would pm Whiteblaze member 10K. I believe he could be of help to you.