PDA

View Full Version : UGQ Bandit Top Quilt - Thoughts?

blw2
01-18-2018, 22:21
I'm thinking the snap/drawstring footbox, so that I can option it as a flat "blanket"

Full taper or no taper?

I'm thinking 20 degree with 800 down to save cost, standard M10 fabrics

I'm having trouble understanding the taper with this sort of footbox...and the only other thing I'm not liking is a current long lead time for orders.....

Suggestions?

Qajaq
01-19-2018, 15:57
I have a couple of UGQ's Flight Jacket TQ's that I use in my hammock, which apparently have been discontinued. IMO, if you are going to use the quilt in cold weather, go with the sewn footbox. Alot of people complain about cold drafts with the drawstring. I have sewn footboxes on both my 20* and 40* quilts. I would only consider a drawstring on warmer weather quilts, like the 40* or 50* quilts. You can still use them quite easily like a blanket with the sewn footbox. Just toss it loosely over your body and tuck your feet in the footbox for extra warmth. I use my quilts like a blanket all the time in bed, in fact.

Both my quilts are tapered, like most mummy bags. The untapered version is more squarish, like a regular camping sleeping bag. I think that's personal preference depending on how much wiggle room you need, but tapered is lighter and probably warmer.

On width, I'm quite happy with 50" in my hammocks. If I ever spring for a 0* quilt, I'll get that in 55" so I can layer and have little extra to tuck underneath. If I were to get a quilt specifically for ground sleeping, I'd probably consider 55" as well since there would be no underquilt to overlap.

Finally, I think they recommend quilt lengths that are too short for the user height. For example, I'm 5' 7"-ish and my 20* quilt is 78". That length is perfect in cold weather because when I snap the neck and yank the bungie tight, I have a nice warm poof of downy fabric that fills around my neck and lower cheeks, without my toes being the least bit crammed in the footbox. I can also pull it up over my head if I want. My 40* quilt is only 72", which snapped around my neck doesn't fill all that much around my neck. That's OK in warm weather, but when I try to pull it up in the bottom end temps, my toes feel crammed. Yet they state 72" good for users to 5'9". Food for thought.

Rex Clifton
01-19-2018, 16:32
I'm thinking the snap/drawstring footbox, so that I can option it as a flat "blanket"

Full taper or no taper?

I'm thinking 20 degree with 800 down to save cost, standard M10 fabrics

I'm having trouble understanding the taper with this sort of footbox...and the only other thing I'm not liking is a current long lead time for orders.....

Suggestions?A general rule of thumb I like to use is that, for quilts 30° and above get the snap/drawstring footbox, otherwise go with a fully insulted (not flat sewn) footbox. The cost is a bit more but you won't have to worry about drafts when the weather turns cold. On the taper, I would recommend a full taper as long as you are not too huskey. This assumes you get the wide 55 inch width (that I recommend), which works well for both hammock and ground camping.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk