PDA

View Full Version : Snow and ice on your tent

methodman
01-20-2018, 16:30
What is the quickest way to get snow and ice off your tent in the am without damaging it? Also, can packing it damage it after you do get it down? I don't know how easy it is to tea o split a tent in the cold.

methodman
01-20-2018, 16:31
tear or split

Deadeye
01-20-2018, 16:41
I just brush it off with my hands, and maybe knock some off from the inside, too. tents are pretty sturdy and can handle the treatment. I carry a small brush if I'm going winter camping, good for brushing off boots, and sweeping snow out of the tent and off the tent. Never had a problem with damage from packing up the tent.

DownEaster
01-20-2018, 17:43
If you're worried about applying too much pressure to a small area from the inside, use your butt pad to distribute the force over a greater area than just your hands.

methodman
01-20-2018, 17:50
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

nsherry61
01-20-2018, 19:02
I just smack the darn thing from the inside and when I get out, if needed, I'll move the snow away from the edge where my thwacking has piled it up. Easy, works well, never any significant issues with doing it this way except rarely pulling a guy line a bit loose.

methodman
01-20-2018, 19:22
Thank you.

Venchka
01-20-2018, 20:02
Follow up question:
Has anyone ever had their tent floor freeze and stick to the ground?
Just curious how you deal with this?
Wayne

nsherry61
01-20-2018, 21:58
. . . Has anyone ever had their tent floor freeze and stick to the ground?. . .
Only with older worn out tents where the floor soaked up enough water to freeze in spots. Since it has only ever been in spots, I manage to pull and/or dig the tent or tarp loose and and then bash the ice off mostly. Never had the problem with any gear in recent years.

On another note, I've had my beard freeze to the buff I'm breathing through several times this year. It was pretty funny one time after riding my bike to work and sitting at work with my buff frozen to my beard for several minutes waiting for it to thaw while sitting in the staff lounge.

Venchka
01-21-2018, 00:43
That’s histerical! No doubt embarrassing as well.
Thanks for the tent help.
Wayne

garlic08
01-21-2018, 08:44
I once left a very thin layer of Tyvek sticking to a plank shelter floor. I don't carry Tyvek any more. I've never seen that issue with silnylon. The silnylon canopy also releases snow and ice very easily.

I double dog dare ya!