PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Georgia

Hess86NJ
01-20-2018, 18:30
Hey all, I live in New Jersey and am looking for ideas to get to Amicalola Falls in March to start my Thru Hike. I was looking at the Greyhound bus. Does anyone have experience using the bus for cross country? It'll cost $54 which isn't bad but it'll take 20hrs to get to Atlanta. Any tips or things to know when using them? Is there another good bus company to use? When getting to Georgia how are thru hikers getting to the Falls? I guess there will be a bunch there to hitch a ride with others?

I also looked to rent a car and drive myself but it is too expensive ($412). I guess they add a big charge with it being one way to a different state.
Anyone have any other traveling tips, ideas, suggestions? Thanks... Much appreciate it.

KCNC
01-20-2018, 18:50
You could take the train to Atlanta (One-way from Cherry Hill looks like about $145, still a 17-18 hour trip, but more comfortable than a bus by any measure.)

Once you're in Atlanta there are several shuttle options, including from the end of the MARTA line.

Lone Wolf
01-20-2018, 18:50
i took Amtrak from NYC to Gainesville 10 years in a row. great way to get to the trail

Lone Wolf
01-20-2018, 18:52
You could take the train to Atlanta (One-way from Cherry Hill looks like about $145, still a 17-18 hour trip, but more comfortable than a bus by any measure.)

Once you're in Atlanta there are several shuttle options, including from the end of the MARTA line.

it stops in Gainesville. much closer to Amicalola

Lone Wolf
01-20-2018, 18:52

Coffee
01-20-2018, 19:10
Amtrak is much more comfortable than any bus, even in coach. I recently took an Amtrak in the sleeper compartment for the first time. Very nice. But the trains are apparently chronically late and unreliable. I would check into airfares to Atlanta. Often airfares are cheaper than the train and obviously much faster and more reliable. Ship items that cannot be carried on board ahead possibly to a hostel that you stay at prior to starting the trail. good luck.

AllDownhillFromHere
01-20-2018, 19:23
DO NOT TAKE THE BUS. I took it from Providence, RI. It's a 24 hour ride, so subtract a few for you. But it's horrible. Multiple changes, one where they almost didn't move my bag over. Smelly people leaning on you, cramped conditions. DO NOT TAKE THE BUS.

methodman
01-20-2018, 19:27
What items are not allowed as far as backpacking and can you keep the backpack on the train?

FrogLevel
01-20-2018, 19:41
I show one way flights from Newark at 200 bucks. That's a lot more convenient than spending a day on the bus.

methodman
01-20-2018, 20:02
The train is probably the way I will go next year for my thru. Why, I will be 70 and have never been on a train.

Dogwood
01-20-2018, 20:11
Mega Bus is cheaper, very often faster, more efficient, and more on time without all the usual GHound drama. I've traveled between Ocean and Monmouth Counties and NY NY locations and Atlanta on buses too often to start relating issues. Mega Bus is better!

I know their is a MB pick up in Secaucus but it may not be a straight shot to Atlanta. You'd likely have to transfer in Washington DC.

For a few decades family used to be the caretakers of Hoboken Cemetery on Tonnelle Ave living in that mansion by the front gate. Grandmother lived in Westside High Rise Apts on Granton Ave above the cemetery for more than 20 yrs.

Dogwood
01-20-2018, 20:29
After a quick look MB is as cheap as $15 with an average price of $25. Still is about 20 hrs on a bus though. It(MB) lets you off at the MARTA Civic Center Train Station(cleaner and safer than many northeastern NJ/NY train stations). From there you have two choices: 1) From the Civic Center Station take the Red Line north to North Springs MARTA Station(safe/clean) arranging a shuttle pick up to Amicalola via someone like the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega 2) From the Civic Center Station take the MARTA Red Line south a few stations to Garnett Station where the GHound Station is located. I advise not wandering around here at night with a backpack. Walk right below this station to the GHound and take a bus to Gainesville GA. The Ghound fare is about $15.

Dogwood
01-20-2018, 20:33
Probably the most direct route is the Amtrak from one of the nearby stations in NJ or NY to Gainesville GA. So guess it depends at least in part on how much you want to spend $ on public transportation with the least amount of potential transfer hassles, traveling time, etc.

Dogwood
01-20-2018, 20:37
What items are not allowed as far as backpacking and can you keep the backpack on the train?

I don't know for sure what Amtrak's legal allowable statements entail but I've never been stopped on Amtrak for anything from a iso can, small Swiss pocket knife, trekking poles, etc. I travel light with my UL packs and don't attract attention by having anything hanging off the outside of the packs or advertise anything.

Slo-go'en
01-20-2018, 20:42

No restrictions. I load my pack ready for the trail. If you pass the random bomb sniffing dog test at the terminal, your good to go. You can bring your own food and drink too (beer, wine) but they won't let you use the microwave in the café car so your limited to cold food. I usually just go with bagels and cream cheese. Dinner can be worth the $30.

methodman
01-20-2018, 21:37
is there a size restriction on the pack you take on board and how anal are they about sticking exactly to the size? [on a train]

Lone Wolf
01-20-2018, 21:42
is there a size restriction on the pack you take on board and how anal are they about sticking exactly to the size? [on a train]

no and no. reserve a single sleeper. you'll love it

methodman
01-20-2018, 21:47
You are really making me look forward to the beginning of my thru hike. Getting there and getting home from Maine are big worries for me. [not so much on getting there now, Thank you. ]

Alligator
01-20-2018, 21:54
Sleeper is awesome for overnight, can be expensive but consider it like a hotel stay. Train in general is very relaxed way to go. No fussing with getting through security, wifi available.

Megabus isn't bad, I like their buses. A few bucks extra and you can pick a seat. They have a few seats which have a table in the center of four seats. I also like the upstairs first row. Nice views.

Greyhound has too many stops.

KCNC
01-20-2018, 22:37

Good to know - I knew Atlanta would work, but wasn't sure about alternatives.

Slo-go'en
01-20-2018, 23:51
Sleeper is awesome for overnight, can be expensive but consider it like a hotel stay. Train in general is very relaxed way to go. No fussing with getting through security, wifi available.

Sleepers can cost an insane amount of money if you book last minute. Like $600 or more. If you want a sleeper, lock one in at least 2 months ahead to get an affordable price (it does come with diner and breakfast included). Two weeks out min for a seat in coach.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2018, 00:17
You are really making me look forward to the beginning of my thru hike. Getting there and getting home from Maine are big worries for me. [not so much on getting there now, Thank you. ]

Before you get too excited, you'd better look at the schedules and stops. Getting on at Richmond which it think is the closest to you, they make you go to DC first, with a 5 hour layover. Or they can put you on a bus to Charlottesville, which is actually faster and less expensive.

Dogwood
01-21-2018, 01:01
Unless, for some damn good reason I needed to go into Atlanta, I would avoid the city if taking a Ghound bus. If I was again taking Ghound form the north/northeast I would find a comparable duration itinerary with 1 transfer with Gainesville GA as my destination. Going from NJ to Gainesville GA as your final destination takes you right past Gville too far further south to Atlanta. Gville Ghound is about 70 miles north of Atlanta. Now, if flying that's a different story.

Dogwood
01-21-2018, 01:05
Newark NJ to Gainesville GA is a 20 hr trip with 1 transfer. Schedule 1017. $54 It avoids Atlanta. Don't go into Atlanta on a bus unless you have to.

Dogwood
01-21-2018, 01:10
Unless, for some damn good reason I needed to go into Atlanta, I would avoid the city if taking a Ghound bus. If I was again taking Ghound form the north/northeast I would find a comparable duration itinerary with 1 transfer with Gainesville GA as my destination. Going from NJ to Gainesville GA as your final destination takes you right past Gville too far further south to Atlanta if you book to Atlanta as a an intermediary destination. *Then, once in Atlanta you have to travel back north where you just past acouple hrs previously. Gville Ghound is about 70 miles north of Atlanta. Now, if flying that's a different story.

???????????

fastfoxengineering
01-21-2018, 01:46
???????????A grey hound trip from Concord NH sounds miserable and $$$ when looking at itineraries.

My best bet seems to be flying or ride share.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

DownEaster
01-21-2018, 04:55
I recently booked my plane ticket to Atlanta. I could have saved $90 by going with Republic instead of American, but the Republic trip would have taken 9 hours longer (2 plane changes). I'd rather pay the extra money and arrive ready to hike instead of exhausted.

Deacon
01-21-2018, 09:04
DO NOT TAKE THE BUS. I took it from Providence, RI. It's a 24 hour ride, so subtract a few for you. But it's horrible. Multiple changes, one where they almost didn't move my bag over. Smelly people leaning on you, cramped conditions. DO NOT TAKE THE BUS.

I concur on this. At the end of the journey on a bus, you’ll need a good night’s sleep before starting your hike.

I rode 18 hours from Sandusky Ohio to Marion Virginia through the night with several long layovers. Not fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

colorado_rob
01-21-2018, 09:34
Plenty of flights from Newark to Atlanta on SW airlines, no baggage fees, no change fees, for $106 in mid-march, mid week.

Book a flight on SW air, take Marta (in Atlanta) to north Atlanta, get a shuttle ride to Amicaloa, easy peasy.

https://www.southwest.com/flight/select-flight.html?newDepartDate=3-14&newReturnDate=

bigcranky
01-21-2018, 09:42
You've gotten some good advice on how to get to Georgia. I'll add that there are several restrictions on what you can take on a plane, both checked and carryon (no fuel at all, for example, and TSA agents might confiscate even an empty stove.) I've really enjoyed Amtrak....

When getting to Georgia how are thru hikers getting to the Falls? I guess there will be a bunch there to hitch a ride with others?

Getting from Atlanta or even Gainesville, which is much closer, is not this easy. There won't be a bunch of you, and it's extremely unlikely you'll be able to hitch to Amicalola Falls State Park. From Gainesville you could take a taxi. From either place you could arrange a shuttle from one of the local providers. Neither is cheap. You may be able to arrange to share the cost of a shuttle with another hiker -- even some of the shuttle providers can help set this up.

Hope you have a great hike.

colorado_rob
01-21-2018, 10:04
I've flown all over the USA and world dozens of times with my full set of backpack gear. Please don't let silly fear of TSA stop you from flying. Figure this simple thing out. There's an REI near the northern MARTA stop in Atlanta to buy your fuel, you can even ship your stove and other things there if you fear checking your stove on the plane.

As I already said, I've flown dozens of times with various stoves, never, ever any problem. I separate the little burner section from the rest of the stove, triple-wrap it in zip locks, and just put it in my checked bag away from the rest of the stove. Make sure it's clean so as not to have any soot-smell. Absolute worst case, which will not happen, is you have to replace it in Atlanta at the REI.

Some folks ship their entire packs ahead so as to avoid any (unnecessary) nervousness when flying with backpacks. Works for them. Would work for you too. But really, just plain checking your backpack works. When I first flew with a backpack, I was a bit nervous and used a cheap throw-away duffle to carry everthing. Once I use a large box. Then I started using that shrink-wrap plastic and wrapped my pack before checking. Now, finally, I just clip the waist-belt and sternum straps around the back of the pack. Here's a pic of my ULA OHM pack after pick up from baggage claim after returning from a Long Trail E2E.

I am extremely conservative by nature, so even after a couple of decades of flying with a backpack, I STILL carryon (in a throw away grocery sack) my initial hiking food, expensive tent, expensive sleeping bag and rain jacket. And of course just wear my hiking clothes and shoes.

It's so easy, but than again, I understand the nervousness of those who have never flown with a checked backpack.

colorado_rob
01-21-2018, 10:27
One more huge advantage of flying on airlines such as SW air is that you can change your reservation for "free". I put "free" in quotes because many times there would be a fare change for your changed flight. But unlike most airlines that chage $50, $100 or even $150 (or more?) extra fee, SW has no fee.

Case in point, just recently: we had booked Denver---> Atlanta for April 1st this year to do another AT section (Hot Springs north). We changed our minds (to avoid the crowds) and decided to do Daleville (about mile 724 on the AT) north to wherever we get in three weeks, starting about a week later. No problem! Cancel the initial flights, the proceeds go into your account, re-book the new flight using these proceeds, and voila. Turns out our re-booked flight were slightly more expensive ($108->$136), no problem, you pay the difference.

So easy and CHEAP to fly these days.

Coffee
01-21-2018, 10:40
No restrictions as far as I know. I've always kept my backpack with me and no one checks it.

Coffee
01-21-2018, 10:45
Free changes on Southwest have saved me hundreds of dollars over the years. I usually book a return on southwest after a backpacking trip based on my best guess and change it if needed, usually paying a higher fare but no dreadful change fee. I just paid a $300 change fee on United for an international flight. I fly only SW in the U.S.

glenlawson
01-21-2018, 10:51
Lots of good suggestions here. I would add, check with a shuttle driver to find out about cost and times from a couple of different locations. If you fly to Atlanta, you'll probably take the Marta rail to North Springs station. Find out how much to Amicalola and what times. If you take the train or the bus, you'll probably go to Gainesville. The train and the bus station aren't far apart. Find out how much to Amicalola and what times.

In Atlanta, the North Springs Marta station is within walking distance of an REI. There is a local outdoor shop and a Walmart on the hwy to Amicalola. That can help with things you can pack in a checked bag.

There are lots of good shuttlers, check with them for options.

KCNC
01-21-2018, 11:06
I recently booked my plane ticket to Atlanta. I could have saved $90 by going with Republic instead of American, but the Republic trip would have taken 9 hours longer (2 plane changes). I'd rather pay the extra money and arrive ready to hike instead of exhausted.

You're paying yourself $10 an hour to go through less hassle.

Perfectly reasonable tradeoff in my opinion!

Slo-go'en
01-21-2018, 13:12
With the number of hikers showing up everyday on the same train/bus/plane, I would expect the shuttles to be cramming as many people as possible into the car/van/bus as they can. If 30-50 people a day are showing up and with only a limited number of shuttle drivers and it taking 4-5 hours for a round trip from MARTA, I can't see them doing it 50 times a day to shuttle one person at a time.

Dogwood
01-21-2018, 15:50
A grey hound trip from Concord NH sounds miserable and $$$ when looking at itineraries.

My best bet seems to be flying or ride share.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TapatalkDepends on the person. Although I'm frugal and can take hiking grundge I don't like the grunge of especially Ghound (cramped dirty seats, bathrooms, many stations, where they tend to stop for eats, some of the riders, the way baggage is handled, etc). So much drama. I'd not want to take any bus from NH to GA. I'd get a cheap flight. Mail stuff ahead if you pack heavy. Travel light and compact. If you must take the bus from that state I strongly advise you take a day to regroup in GA before starting the thru-hike. And, that usually involves more money which can be similar in total costs as a flight and Ghound from Atlanta to Gville.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dogwood
01-21-2018, 16:02
With the number of hikers showing up everyday on the same train/bus/plane, I would expect the shuttles to be cramming as many people as possible into the car/van/bus as they can. If 30-50 people a day are showing up and with only a limited number of shuttle drivers and it taking 4-5 hours for a round trip from MARTA, I can't see them doing it 50 times a day to shuttle one person at a time.That's why those tightwads like myself considering a shuttle from Atlanta to Dahlonega, Gville, AF SP, or Springer should ask first about what days and times are most convenient for ride sharing to cut shuttle costs. Then, factor that into bus, flight, and maybe train schedules.

One of the positives of flying into Atlanta's International AP is that it is a major hub the busiest AP in the world which equates with many lower priced fares from other major cities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Alligator
01-21-2018, 23:20
Yeah sooner is always better for the train. It's similar to airfare tickets. Within 14 days and you are likely to pay through the nose. Train fare seems to just steadily climb though whereas airfare seems to drop some around 3 months or closer vs. 3+ months. Then some fluctuations but as the date gets closer the cheap fares disappear. Somewhere in the 7-14 day mark though those airfares switch to steep and you're screwed.

A sleeper works out a little more reasonably with 2 people too. A sleeper from Newark Penn is $184 for multiple dates in March and that's the same for May so I don't think that's gone up yet. That's on top of the ticket which is $152 or so. AAA gets you a 10% discount.

Train from Newark is an overnight. Lot more seat space on a train though so sleeping isn't as horrible. Sleeper is so nice though and yeah they feed you too!

Alligator
01-21-2018, 23:32
A weird thing happening with Amtrak booking...on the website, roomette is showing up with those higher prices but on the app, the price is regular not the higher premium price.

Alligator
01-21-2018, 23:36
Last thing and I get no special perks from Amtrak...in the East, roomette has a toilet and sink of its own and there's a shower available in the sleeper car. Breakfast lunch and dinner like Slo says is included in the roomette charge, for both people if there are 2 of you.

George
01-21-2018, 23:37
Two weeks out min for a seat in coach.

some times the min price is still available just a few days out - better than air travel for the end of trips

dickdurk
01-22-2018, 07:58
I took a train from Philly to Maine & back with several transfers. Was never a problem with pack contents or size (I pack out with about 30 lbs, to give you some idea). I was able to set the pack on a seat beside me, I don't know what the option would be if the train was really crowded, but the conductors etc. seemed pretty casual.

El JP
01-22-2018, 08:14
Yeah sooner is always better for the train. It's similar to airfare tickets. Within 14 days and you are likely to pay through the nose. Train fare seems to just steadily climb though whereas airfare seems to drop some around 3 months or closer vs. 3+ months. Then some fluctuations but as the date gets closer the cheap fares disappear. Somewhere in the 7-14 day mark though those airfares switch to steep and you're screwed.

A sleeper works out a little more reasonably with 2 people too. A sleeper from Newark Penn is $184 for multiple dates in March and that's the same for May so I don't think that's gone up yet. That's on top of the ticket which is $152 or so. AAA gets you a 10% discount.

Train from Newark is an overnight. Lot more seat space on a train though so sleeping isn't as horrible. Sleeper is so nice though and yeah they feed you too!

This is pretty much spot on. Over the years i've been cross country by bus countless times and it is pure misery after two days. Took Amtrak twice to NYC after working at Shenandoah and it was a world of difference in comfort. I'm not too far from Newark but NYC Penn Station is even closer and is better to get a good seat from. Undoubtedly there will be delays due to track work but it's still better than the bus.

Took care of the train ticket already as a Christmas present to myself and i got a motel room in Gainesville booked soon after. I'm calling the numbers for local taxicabs this week and inquiring about a lift to Amicalola.

Hess86NJ
02-02-2018, 18:58
Thanks everyone for the advice, it looks like I decided to take Amtrak. I feel it is the best route to go. More comfortable so I can get up and stretch, better scenic views, can get up and walk to stretch, don't have to deal with TSA and luggage headaches while flying. I have AAA so I get a little discount with my ticket.

A new question for everyone. They have a Travel Protection which I can add on for $17. Would it be a good idea to have? Does anyone else add this while traveling?

Slo-go'en
02-02-2018, 20:42
A new question for everyone. They have a Travel Protection which I can add on for $17. Would it be a good idea to have? Does anyone else add this while traveling?

I never bothered and never wished I did. I forget what piece of mind that $17 buys. I look at insurance this way. They make money betting I'm not going to need it, so I might as well make that same bet.

Coming back from Glacier, I got a free day in Chicago paid by Amtrak due to arriving 6 hours late for my once a day connection to NYC. I think they have a block of rooms reserved at all the near-by hotels as this happens a lot. Besides the free hotel room, got a $25 stipend to spend on taxi and meals. All without insurance, just part of the deal.

El JP
02-02-2018, 20:47
Thanks everyone for the advice, it looks like I decided to take Amtrak. I feel it is the best route to go. More comfortable so I can get up and stretch, better scenic views, can get up and walk to stretch, don't have to deal with TSA and luggage headaches while flying. I have AAA so I get a little discount with my ticket.

For something this important, I would highly advise getting the protection.

MuddyWaters
02-03-2018, 00:32
I don't mind train travel at all. If not in hurry, great way to travel.

If not in hurry.

WiFi. Basically you just spend all the day reading and browsing internet.

El JP
02-03-2018, 07:35
I can't believe i didn't notice your North Bergen location before. I'm right next door to you in Union City.

Forget Newark. NYC Penn Station is where you want to catch the train. It's a major stop so a whole lot of passengers will be getting off and seats will be very easy to get. Unless someone is dropping you off the best bet is to take the light rail from Tonnelle or Bergenline to Hoboken or a bus or jitney down Kennedy blvd to Journal Square to get on the PATH to 33rd street.

Deacon
02-03-2018, 12:56

Not needed. There is plenty of room in the overhead for even the largest pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hess86NJ
02-03-2018, 13:06
Additional Question: If I was to go to the dinning or lounge car, do I take my pack with me? With not knowing who will touch it is it best to keep my eyes on it? Will it be safe when not watching due sleeping?

jlp1976
02-03-2018, 19:26
I took the train from North Carolina to Indiana when I got injured on the trail. I was able to carry everything. They do not check.

jlp1976
02-03-2018, 19:27

I took the train from North Carolina to Indiana when I got injured on the trail. I was able to carry everything. They do not check.

Slo-go'en
02-03-2018, 21:30
Additional Question: If I was to go to the dinning or lounge car, do I take my pack with me? With not knowing who will touch it is it best to keep my eyes on it? Will it be safe when not watching due sleeping?

Once up on the rack above your head, it's kind of a pain to get into if you need something. Not much room to move around in either. No one will fool with it.

I challenge you to get any actual sleep. Get eye shades since the cabin lights are never turned fully off. It can be chilly if the air conditioner isn't working quite right. I was in the refrigerator car my last trip and had to break out my sleeping bag to stay warm, while the people in the next car were too hot! I've started taking an OTC sleep aid and playing meditative music to drown out the background noises in order to get any sleep. But for some people, the train noises lull them to sleep.

I highly recommend bringing some snacks. Food is available, but pricey. The dinning car is a nice experience, since you sit with 3 other random people. The ones who happened to be in line in front or behind you at the door.

El JP
02-04-2018, 05:53
Once up on the rack above your head, it's kind of a pain to get into if you need something. Not much room to move around in either. No one will fool with it.

I challenge you to get any actual sleep. Get eye shades since the cabin lights are never turned fully off. It can be chilly if the air conditioner isn't working quite right. I was in the refrigerator car my last trip and had to break out my sleeping bag to stay warm, while the people in the next car were too hot! I've started taking an OTC sleep aid and playing meditative music to drown out the background noises in order to get any sleep. But for some people, the train noises lull them to sleep.

I highly recommend bringing some snacks. Food is available, but pricey. The dinning car is a nice experience, since you sit with 3 other random people. The ones who happened to be in line in front or behind you at the door.

Bringing your own grub is the way to go for sure. The way prices are these days on any kind of carrier it's best to pack what you can to avoid the gouging.
As for getting Zs, if you are tired you will sleep. Just make sure to bring along a pillow to put up against the window and wear something with a hood that'll reach over your eyes if you are riding in coach. A sleeper is like being in a hotel by comparison.

misterblitz
02-09-2018, 21:01

Make sure you look at what's covered by this insurance. Once you see what it covers, you'll be better able to determine if it's a good deal for you or not.

I travel every month for work. None of the reasons I've ever had to cancel/reschedule a trip have ever been covered by traveler's insurance. YMMV.

Dave-0
02-10-2018, 09:07
Hey I'm brand new hear and this is exactly the thread I have been hoping to find.

I've read many older posts about Amtrak specifically. Some say that if you're on a typical route to Gainesville (the closest train stop to Amicalola) then they won't give you much of a problem. While Amtrak does have checked baggage, they won't do that for eastern corridor trains. You can check the bags, but it will go onto one with a baggage car, which is usually not your train, so when you get to Gainesville you will be without luggage or backpack for up to a day. So you 'carry it on'.

People have also said that there are spot checks, depending upon the conductor/steward - most of the experienced ones don't bother, especially with backpacks, because most of us know how we packed our pack and they wouldn't be able to get everything back in, in all likelihood.

Although I know of many conductors and have ridden amtrak and commuter trains for the past 30 years, I figured I don't want to get into trouble at the last little bit. Not so much fuel as it can be replaced, but if you have a really handy knife (not a huge thing but something you would use everyday for opening things etc) you may not be able to find anything like that and you don't want it confiscated. There is other hiking gear that Amtrak could argue is sharp or pointy (like my trekking poles) and I don't want them confiscated either.

My older sister said she would pick me up in Gainesville off the 19 Crescent at 7am. I didn't expect that but now that I have pndered a few things I thought why take chances, I'm going to mail the sharp pointy (and expensive ) gear to her and she will bring it with her to Gainesville.

My other thoughts about backpacks etc. I won't have anything hanging off the back part of the backpack so why not put the pack cover on backwards to it covers up the waist and chest straps? Might make it easier to manuver without getting caught on stuff in the racks.

Anyway, hope everyone finds this useful. I don't think it would be an issue to just travel with everything but I don't want to have my trekking poles or other stuff confiscated and have to replace them.

I did buy my train ticket and I did get the protection just in case (it covers being able to cancel your ticket etc.) I also had to go with business class for some reason, the coach seats were supposedly all gone. They had a couple of sleepers but that was pretty high. The 19 Crescent travels from around 7pm in DC to Gainesville and stops at 7am the next morning. Perfect for me as I wanted to get to the trail early -- the sister wanted to see the falls and I guess we would say our goodbyes and I will get to Stover or Hawk Mtn sometime later that day. Not in any big hurry but the committment begins with the first step.

Some older posts suggested going to Atlanta flying and take Amtrak back out to Gainesville. I think that is the other Crescent, that stops in Gainesville around 7 at night (the schedule may have changed a bit so I don't know). And that would likely mean a stop over in Gainesville or someplace like Dahlonega if you can get a shuttle.

Thefurther
02-10-2018, 09:23
dude , keep it simple man . the bus is not bad neither is the train or flying . use what is in your budget and do not worry so much . it is not the destination it is the journey brother . experience things you have never done that way you never have to ask anyone ever again what it is like or wonder what it is like . do not make your trip a job man it takes the fun out of it . peace and love my friend . if you need anything look me up down here in ga . the further shuttle Appalachian ... i'm all over these mountains

Hess86NJ
02-22-2018, 00:25
So I bought my Amtrak ticket on Feb. 4th from Newark, NJ to Gainesville, GA. First time ever riding Amtrak. Thanks everyone for answering all my questions. The service doesn't have checked baggage so it has to be a carry on. I will definitely be bringing some food on the train as it leaves at 2:37pm.
I arrive on March 20.... I just have to figure out about getting from the train station to Amicalola Falls.

El JP
02-22-2018, 05:02
So I bought my Amtrak ticket on Feb. 4th from Newark, NJ to Gainesville, GA. First time ever riding Amtrak. Thanks everyone for answering all my questions. The service doesn't have checked baggage so it has to be a carry on. I will definitely be bringing some food on the train as it leaves at 2:37pm.
I arrive on March 20.... I just have to figure out about getting from the train station to Amicalola Falls.

From taking a look around there are at least 8 different taxi companies in the Gainesville area. I'll going to be calling the front desk at the motel in a day or so and asking for a recommendation.

You going straight up to Amicalola off the train or do you have a spot in Gainesville?

Worn Miles
02-22-2018, 05:34
The ATC website has a list of shuttle providers for pretty much the entire trail. I'll be starting in mid April and taking Amtrak from Trenton. Have a great hike. Maybe our paths will cross at some point.

El JP
02-22-2018, 07:16
Thanks for the info Worn Out.

I realized just after i posted the response to Hess86NJ that we will be on the same train. I'm boarding in NYC and he's at the next stop in Newark.

Yo Hess, i'll be happy to split a shuttle cost on the 21st. Nice and early as it would be nice to be at Amicalola as 1-i'd like to be there when they open up for the day and, 2- i'm going to be quite the slow poke on the trail.

Hess86NJ
02-22-2018, 20:36
I can't believe i didn't notice your North Bergen location before. I'm right next door to you in Union City.

I realized just after i posted the response to Hess86NJ that we will be on the same train. I'm boarding in NYC and he's at the next stop in Newark.
Yo Hess, i'll be happy to split a shuttle cost on the 21st. Nice and early as it would be nice to be at Amicalola as 1-i'd like to be there when they open up for the day and, 2- i'm going to be quite the slow poke on the trail.

Hey El JP, that is awesome that you live in Union City. When are you leaving to get on the train? When do you plan on starting?

El JP
02-22-2018, 22:14
I'm leaving from Penn Station in the City on the 19th -2:15 train. Got an easy shot as I take the light rail to the PATH.

I have a motel room booked for the 20th and hope to be at Amicalola as early as possible on the 21st as I intend to ease on up the approach trail.

CrumbSnatcher
02-22-2018, 22:33
one year i drove my truck from Nebraska to Dahlonega GA.
sold my truck at a Liquor store, had the guy give me a ride to the Amicalola State Park visitor center :-)

CrumbSnatcher
02-22-2018, 22:35
parked my car in Miss Janets back yard a different year, made it easier to get home after the thru-hike

CrumbSnatcher
02-22-2018, 22:41
the longest bus ride i ever took was only 250 miles a long time ago, it sucked!
i rode a train from Lincoln NE. to Salt Lake City once & it was so much more enjoyable.
you can move around a little,stretch the legs.
take the TRAIN! & have a Great Hike...

Hess86NJ
02-23-2018, 12:42
I'm leaving from Penn Station in the City on the 19th -2:15 train. Got an easy shot as I take the light rail to the PATH.
I have a motel room booked for the 20th and hope to be at Amicalola as early as possible on the 21st as I intend to ease on up the approach trail.
O Wow, yea we're on the same train. I'll be getting onto the train at Newark which departs at 2:37. Currently my plan is to arrive at Gainesville on the 20 and hitch a ride to the Amicalola. Stay over night in one of the shelters located at the falls and start the thru on the 21st. My first day I only plan on hiking the approach trail then stay at the Springer shelter for the night.