PDA

View Full Version : Compression bags/sacks and sleeping bags

timhines
02-09-2006, 23:36
All,
I'm new to overnight hiking. I'm working on packing my equipment in the most efficient way. Right now it looks like the biggest thing in my bag--practically taking up 95% of my bag.

It's a kelty 20 degree bag(synthetic), long size. It stays in a "compression bag" (so I thought) but the dang thing still takes up all the space.

Should I put it in another compression bag with straps or work on finding a more compact bag?

Cuffs
02-09-2006, 23:37
What Brand/model/size pack are you using?

timhines
02-09-2006, 23:50
Lowe Alpine Frontier 65+15 pack, it's 4000+900 cu. inches

k4kam
02-10-2006, 11:37
Here's a tip I learned from Win Porter at Mountain Crossings: The compression sack that came with the North Face bag I bought was too small. Once the bag was stuffed, the sack was like a rock.

I got a bigger stuff sack. Once the bag was stuffed, the sack was still flexible. It went in my backpack vertically, then is twisted to a horizontal position in the bottom of the backpack. The extra flexibility in the stuff sack / sleeping bag allowed it to conform to the corners in the backpack, filling otherwise wasted space.

Do the same thing with clothing in another stuff sack.

Works great!

DLFrost
02-10-2006, 12:39
All,
I'm new to overnight hiking. I'm working on packing my equipment in the most efficient way. Right now it looks like the biggest thing in my bag--practically taking up 95% of my bag.

It's a kelty 20 degree bag(synthetic), long size. It stays in a "compression bag" (so I thought) but the dang thing still takes up all the space.

Should I put it in another compression bag with straps or work on finding a more compact bag?

Lowe Alpine Frontier 65+15 pack, it's 4000+900 cu. inches
Holy #*&$%.... You're not compressing it enough. Get a proper compression stuffsack with straps and ratchet that sucker down. The length of the sack should (when loaded) match the width of the bottom of your pack for a smooth fit. People commonly line their compression sacks with heavy-weight garbage bags against rain. Or else use one as a inside-pack liner.

A better option: If your local gear store has some of the older Outdoor Research "Advanced Hydroseal" roll-top bags (the ones with the heavier nylon fabric and sewing) I'd get one of those if the right size was available (#4 or #5 probably). These sacks' heavy-duty construction will stand up to synthetic bag stuffing and are waterproof. (The newer, lightweight ones are great for down bags.) The extra sleeve length makes it easier to get the sleeping bag in, after which you shove it down some more and secure the roll-down top. The tubular diameter is fixed, but the length is controlled by how many times you roll down the top. This setup weighs less than the old compression-sack & garbage-bag solution.

Doug Frost

Cuffs
02-10-2006, 12:46
Here's a tip I learned from Win Porter at Mountain Crossings: The compression sack that came with the North Face bag I bought was too small. Once the bag was stuffed, the sack was like a rock.

I got a bigger stuff sack. Once the bag was stuffed, the sack was still flexible. It went in my backpack vertically, then is twisted to a horizontal position in the bottom of the backpack. The extra flexibility in the stuff sack / sleeping bag allowed it to conform to the corners in the backpack, filling otherwise wasted space.

Do the same thing with clothing in another stuff sack.

Works great!

I had that very same problem with my TNF Cat's Meow bag! And I did just what you did, got a bag just a tad larger than the one it came with and now it molds to the pack! Actually, I have a Gregory pack and they make a bag just for the sleeping bag that is the same cut as the space intended for it in the pack. Works perfectly!

Now, if I could get all that other "stuff" I have into the pack... I'll never be an ultralite-er

timhines
02-10-2006, 12:49
Thanks for the input guys. I'll give it a try.

mweinstone
02-10-2006, 17:55
my bag is a marmot -20 down bag and i put it in my bivi and stuff it into the bottom of my 55 litre pack with no bag,compression or straps.this gives me corner filling power like no other. try it.