PDA

View Full Version : Winter jacket strategy?

Time Zone
01-22-2018, 10:39
Seems like the conventional wisdom is to hike in fleece (or synthetic), camp in down.

Packing for winter (in the southeastern US) strikes me as challenging, mostly for bulk reasons, and a winter coat for camp (or stopping) seems to be the biggest challenge. I have a down puffy (12 oz) but it's not adequate for a stop/camp item in winter. My only true winter coat is synthetic (Thinsulate lite loft). In any case, what (jacket-wise) is recommended practice for winter backpacking in this region?

Should one hike in a synth winter coat and just go slow enough to not sweat? [might be hard to go that slow, hauling a pack up 10-15% grades].
Find a way to strap it to the outside, if there's no room inside?
Hike in fleece and buy a warmer down jacket to stuff inside the bag, and skip the winter coat?
Drape your sleeping bag over yourself in camp until it's time for bed?

Not trying to go UL and would consider a larger pack, but mine is already pretty big and I have a feeling it's not the pack, it's my strategy.

chknfngrs
01-22-2018, 11:10
Layers, on layers, upon layers... that’s the key.

wordstew
01-22-2018, 12:03
You could just buy one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PUMP-IT-UP-Adjust-Temperature-EXTREME-INSULATION-SKI-SNOW-PARKA-Black-LARGE/362211904865?hash=item5455830d61:g:eqkAAOSwcUBYMLm G

The Cleaner
01-22-2018, 12:18
After many years of trying various jackets and layering options, I've found this to work well. A good base layer, a Patagonia R1 fleece then for wind protection I wear a USGI soft shell jacket (99% nylon less than $40 from Ebay). If you heat up too much either remove the fleece or soft shell. Using any type of rain shell as your outer layer doesn't breathe as well and only clogs the membrane requiring retreating and shortening the life of your rain jacket. Winter hiking just requires more weight or risk being cold or worse.

Gambit McCrae
01-22-2018, 12:24
I wear a long sleeve drifit shirt in the winter. Sometimes my rain shell on top of it if I get hot, And carry my down for camp/ breaks. I see a lot of people packing their fears with layers. I just don't need that much stuff lol

Cheyou
01-22-2018, 13:02
What is the Winter temp. -20° for the low or 30° ? You will get a better answer with more information. Today was 32° and windy. I used a t shirt, 100w fleece and a rain jacket with pit zips. I should have used a wind jacket.

Thom

Time Zone
01-22-2018, 13:35
I'd be willing to try as low as 20F, and by winter in the southeast US, I mean roughly 20-30F, probably with a bias toward the higher end, 25-30.

Seems like people are saying they don't wear or bring winter coats for winter backpacking? Even if we're talking multiple layers, the sum of those layers is as bulky as what I'm talking about, and that circles back to my question, where do you put them when you're not in camp? Do you have a pack big enough for all those layers you don't need while huffing and puffing up and down mountains?

Or, if you're talking multiple layers that aren't as thick (in the aggregate) as a single winter coat for backpacking, how do you stay warm in camp or at stops? Thanks,

TZ

Gambit McCrae
01-22-2018, 13:45
Personally, I am pretty much either walking, or sitting the entire trip. I walk all day which keeps me warm. If I do stop and get chilled, I have "1 layer" a heavy down jacket, by heavy I mean extremely warm as it actually only weighs about 1 lbs, that I throw on until I get moving again. Once in camp, the down jacket goes on for good along with some wool leggings and some camp pants. Winter time is my fun time so to say, not ever doing any serious trips of any mileage so to speak of, pretty much going out to play for the weekend, have campfires and put around in local recreation areas. I dislike the cold, and the older I get, I am starting to zero in on 3 season backpacking, while taking advantage of warm winter weekends when I can, and compensate for the lack of walking in winter, during the other 3 seasons.

Feral Bill
01-22-2018, 14:14
I use a nice hooded down jacket for in camp wear. It is a Patagonia I bought on clearance. Weighs about 24 ounces in a large size. There are many others with similar specs. Look for 8-12 ounces of good down. I'd say don't skimp on this item, Toasty warm in camp is important. If it's extra cold at night, toss it over your sleeping bag.

reppans
01-22-2018, 14:29
I'm not much of a winter camper but enjoy 3 season if it gets above freezing during the day, and ~20s + at night. I just pack clothing suitable for active day hiking and then prefer multi-tasking for idle time warmth at lunch and campsite evenings. I've become particularly fond the poncho format for the all-limbs-inside 'mitten' effect when sitting cross-legged on an insulated pad. My 'mid' tent multi-tasks as a rain poncho/cape, my down quilts multi-task as down poncho/serape, and my pillow multi-tasks as a sit-pad and micro torso pad for short naps.

So for quick breaks/lunch, I might just wear my mid-tent as a poncho for the wind break/mitten effect to off-set the chill of inactivity. For a longer lunch stop/nap in windy conditions, I might pitch my mid (just a minute or 2 for 6 stakes and trekking pole) to run my alcohol stove more efficiently, and lie down for a windproof after lunch nap. In both cases, if the foliage is down, any directly sunlight contributes to an almost hot greenhouse effect.

At the campsite, I wear my quilt as a down poncho/serape (w/ detachable down hood) - can't imagine anything warmer for the weight sitting cross-legged with all limbs tucked inside. Problems are you need to be more careful with campfire sparks, and dripping food, and if the quilt is warm enough for sleeping over night, it can be a bit bulky and hot to wear for campsite evenings. Pairing a lighter weight poncho/quilt with down mummy bag can solve that problem, but the double up adds a bit more weight/bulk for the same comfort rating.

Lastly, my alcohol stove mutli-tasks as a candle and so I can run it as a Palmer Furance under either poncho (tent or quilt) for an super efficient heated micro-climate that's really luxurious - well for as long as I can sit cross-legged anyway.

Just my $0.02

dudeijuststarted
01-22-2018, 15:16
Wicking baselayer, merino wool midlayer, down jacket or vest, lightweight wind/rain protection (frogg toggs are incredible at trapping heat!) You'll be tearing clothes off while hiking, just keep your down dry.

Tinker
01-22-2018, 16:08
Polypro long sleeve under 200 wt. Fleece under wind shell is my choice down to 15 degrees F. Hat & gloves of your choice. Silk weight long johns under nylon pants, if necessary (for me, usually when windy at lower end of aforementioned temperature range). Waterproof upper protection and pants are a good idea, too, unless you are packing according to the weather forecast. You may get frost on the inside of your shell, but it's better there than inside of your insulation. I avoid hiking in wp or wp/ breathables unless it's actively precipitating,

Tinker
01-22-2018, 16:11
A wind shell is always in my pack. It's the most versatile item of clothing that I carry.

Tinker
01-22-2018, 16:16
Sorry - I should add that I carry a down jacket for camp and rest stops. I have it to hike in only if conditions get really wild ( as in, "I'm bailing NOW!).

Venchka
01-22-2018, 16:46
Southeast hey?
Winter hey?
Boone, NC, elevation 3,300’ more or less, about half the elevation of the Roan Highlands or the Smokies, experienced 170 consecutive hours below freezing recently. Single digit lows. Wind chill? You don’t want to know.
You didn’t mention extremities coverings. Like picking a sleeping bag and ignoring ground insulation. Cover exposed flesh as needed.
Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.
Wayne

JG13
01-22-2018, 17:25
Here's what I use...(also mainly hike in NC)

SmartWool base layer (this good to go into high 40s while hiking)
Arc Teryx 100w fleece (this + base layer good to go into low 30s while hiking)
Arc Teryx cerium lt down hoody (this plus above good to go into high single digits while hiking)
Arc Teryx beta lt hybrid rain shell (great GoreTex shell)

Very effective for me so far.

egilbe
01-22-2018, 20:42
Has to be down below zero before I have to hike in any more than a baselayer and 200 wt fleece. If it's windy, a light nylon pullover works. I have a light primaloft insulated if it's really cold and stacks well with my down puffy. I usually only use the puffy when I'm done hiking for the day, or if I'm disabled and need to wait several hours for rescue. In Winter, rescue is hours away. You need to survive until that time.

QuietStorm
01-22-2018, 21:28
Even hiking on the AT nearly every weekend this winter. Merino wool base layer. Arcteryx polartec mid Layer. Wind or rain shell. Light down jacket in camp. Balaclava and fleece hat. Merino wool buff for sleeping. Gloves and waterproof mittens (below 15 degrees). Merino-wool lined waterproof socks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

QuietStorm
01-22-2018, 21:28
*been* hiking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emerson Bigills
01-22-2018, 23:18
I carry a Capilene LS shirt that typically handles me down into the high 30's. I also carry a fleece half zip, that I rarely hike in, but did a few times. I also had a Marmot Oracle rain jacket that I used for wind and a few more degrees of warmth between the shirt and fleece. I had a down puffy exclusively for camp. I usually was able to get from hiking into my bag within 45 minutes when it was really cold. When it was really cold in camp, I layered it up with several or all of these. I sent my puffy home by May 1, but some folks carry it all the way.

I learned pretty quickly that you can regulate your body heat significantly by putting on and taking off gloves and your hat. When you are going up numerous ups and downs, your work rate will vary significantly and the gloves and hat are very convenient to slip on and off. Stopping to put on or take off a jacket or fleece creates a stop to take off you pack and is just a PITA. Learn to use the gloves and hat. Your welcome.

Dogwood
01-24-2018, 13:14
I've gotten into the habit of questioning the answers, of questioning and then breaking with conventional wisdom as it's not always wisdom but biased limited opinions and habits.

Detail what you are referring to when you say southeast winter weather. Is a large amount of precipation possible for the trip? Wind? What's the length of the trip? Take a closer comprehensive look at individual ability in thermoregulating. Most folks assume they know more about it and layering than they actually do. How well do you accessorize? I find having answers to these questions assist in making apparel layer decisions.

Have you considered two lighter wt on the go and in camp insulation pieces for your core basically for the torso rather than one heavier piece that will see less use? There's greater diversity in a 4 layer winter torso layering approach than a 3 layer one and the bulk can be similar or sometimes even less because you're more apt to be hiking in at least one of those pieces more regularly or FT and not carried in/on the pack.

Once in winter camp what is your greatest insulation piece? Is it not your sleeping bag? Employ it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The Cleaner
01-25-2018, 00:29
I'd be willing to try as low as 20F, and by winter in the southeast US, I mean roughly 20-30F, probably with a bias toward the higher end, 25-30.

Seems like people are saying they don't wear or bring winter coats for winter backpacking? Even if we're talking multiple layers, the sum of those layers is as bulky as what I'm talking about, and that circles back to my question, where do you put them when you're not in camp? Do you have a pack big enough for all those layers you don't need while huffing and puffing up and down mountains?

Or, if you're talking multiple layers that aren't as thick (in the aggregate) as a single winter coat for backpacking, how do you stay warm in camp or at stops? Thanks,

TZ 41672Just tie your extra layer on your pack. This 1990 Camp Trails external frame pack still feels good with winter weight gear.

bigcranky
01-25-2018, 09:25
Surprised that no one suggested this approach.

Cheyou
01-25-2018, 18:05

I like it .

George
01-26-2018, 00:12
Once in winter camp what is your greatest insulation piece? Is it not your sleeping bag? Employ it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

that is the key of my strategy - do not need clothes to be able to hike in that 10 year low temp - if that should happen stay in the bag - usually at worst wait till 11 to start hiking

for clothing I go against the many layers, too much weight and bulk in an already large and heavy winter pack ( most days you will carry it not wear it) - better to have a few versatile items

JJ505
01-26-2018, 12:35
Check out intrepid Dan on youtube. He's hiking in a Nobis jacket (price tag $1000+). Of course he's there right now. Probably a mite cold out there.

El JP
01-26-2018, 19:59
Ok, so I have a late March start from Springer. Is base+Columbia Mountain Steens fleece+a good windbreaker sufficient? I've been wondering if I can get away with not bringing along a puffy jacket.

Dogwood
01-26-2018, 20:30
Ok, so I have a late March start from Springer. Is base+Columbia Mountain Steens fleece+a good windbreaker sufficient? I've been wondering if I can get away with not bringing along a puffy jacket.

What are you planning during hiking times in freezing rain/heavy cold rain, wind picks up, temps plummet, exposure increases, sun doesn't shine for days, maybe white stuff flies... maybe all of it during a rather short period? How do you plan on proceeding when that set up gets drenched?

Time Zone
01-26-2018, 21:13

Who knew Jason Alexander was that ripped? Wow! Good for him.

El JP
01-26-2018, 21:52
What are you planning during hiking times in freezing rain/heavy cold rain, wind picks up, temps plummet, exposure increases, sun doesn't shine for days, maybe white stuff flies... maybe all of it during a rather short period? How do you plan on proceeding when that set up gets drenched?

Bringing along a quality rain jacket.

I'm trying to check various options since just about everywhere one looks on the subject there is contradictory information.

El JP
01-27-2018, 01:40
Thought i had a suitable one here at home but it's a no go in a worse case scenario. Went around a bit online and found a suitable one. One less thing to worry about.

egilbe
01-27-2018, 06:53
Bringing along a quality rain jacket.

I'm trying to check various options since just about everywhere one looks on the subject there is contradictory information.

You do realize that you will mostly get wet from inside the rain jacket from your own sweat, right? Unless you have one of those mythical, non-existant, breathable waterproof rain jackets that marketeers trumpet. You have one set of clothes for hiking in that you don't care that gets wet and one set for camp. The ones for camp are absolutely kept dry. Dry socks, dry base layers dry puffy. For hiking, long sleeve or shortsleeve shirt, fleece, shell.

Time Zone
01-27-2018, 09:52
You do realize that you will mostly get wet from inside the rain jacket from your own sweat, right? Unless you have one of those mythical, non-existant, breathable waterproof rain jackets that marketeers trumpet. You have one set of clothes for hiking in that you don't care that gets wet and one set for camp. The ones for camp are absolutely kept dry. Dry socks, dry base layers dry puffy. For hiking, long sleeve or shortsleeve shirt, fleece, shell.

Just to clarify, if it's 40F, raining, and winds 10-15 mph, you should care about getting your hiking clothes wet, right?
Not that you should then hike in a waterproof rain jacket and get wet from the inside. But in some circumstances, you should care about getting your clothes wet. Maybe you find shelter and wait it out, maybe you slow down to the point that you're not sweating.

gbolt
01-27-2018, 11:29
Just to clarify, if it's 40F, raining, and winds 10-15 mph, you should care about getting your hiking clothes wet, right?
Not that you should then hike in a waterproof rain jacket and get wet from the inside. But in some circumstances, you should care about getting your clothes wet. Maybe you find shelter and wait it out, maybe you slow down to the point that you're not sweating.
Wet isn’t really the issue, warmth is. I have, on a rare occasion, worn only a rain jacket and wetted out a little on the inside because the jacket provided almost to much warmth. I have also worn a T-Shirt and windshirt that wetted out in 50* temps but I stayed warm. Once in camp or shelter, hang the windshirt to dry. Put on the Heavier Rain Jacket to dry the wetted T Shirt while staying warm and then switch into dry camp cloths for the night. Sometimes you never get the Hiking shirt totally dry so you embrace the suck and wear it to start the next day. Often it drys while you start your hike, while adjusting layers. Again, I don’t feel wet hiking clothes are the issue but warmth, core body temp is the issue. Make sure you have dry camp clothes and insulation, usually a puffy and also a sleeping bag or quilt as others have mentioned.

Old Hiker
01-27-2018, 13:29
2016 Thru hike - not what anyone recommends but worked for me below. Temps ranged from estimated 22* (rumor and propaganda from people with no thermometer) to 30s. Accuweather not really "accurate", as temps shown were down in the valleys, the valleys so looooooooooowwwwwww. Sorry - couldn't resist.

Wicking, short sleeved t-shirt, off-brand. Can't find them anymore - got mine at the AF BX, but have seen them at Wally. Carried 2, used one only for sleeping. Walked in one lasted the entire hike.

BDU liner - new - synthetic. Amazon dot com. I wore it BACKWARDS, as my pack kept my back plenty warm, even with Osprey's claim at ventilation. Sprayed the liner outside every 400 miles or so with silicon water-proofing. Worked up to a moderate drizzle.

When I stopped, I turned the BDU liner around. Kept me warm until I started again.

Marmot down vest for under the liner if it was REALLY cold in camp. Don't remember EVER hiking in it.

Marmot rain jacket and pants for heavy, cold winds and/or rain. Elbow to armpit vents on jacket, full leg zips on pants.

Long convertible summer weight pants. Could NOT hike in thermals - too hot.

Fleece balaclava, which usually was around my neck and NOT my head unless the wind was whipping.

Military wool glove liners unless really cold, then fold back thick fleece mitts.

putts
01-27-2018, 14:28
Hiked thru 15/16 VA-GA winter.Marmot Precip was my winter jacket, on top of varying layers depending on the weather. Never got all sweaty. Regulate.

egilbe
01-27-2018, 18:55

You are going to get wet. What rain jackets do is keep you from losing body heat that gets sucked away with the wind. You have a reasonablely warm, damp micro-climate between your shell and your skin.