PDA

View Full Version : tried to post about clothing.. logged in but not logged in??

DavidNH
02-09-2006, 23:41
I just attempted a post about clothing. I was logged in. When I tried to review the post I was logged out and taken to screen asking for user name and password! And now what I wrote is gone!

What gives guys?

David

Heater
02-09-2006, 23:46
I just attempted a post about clothing. I was logged in. When I tried to review the post I was logged out and taken to screen asking for user name and password! And now what I wrote is gone!

What gives guys?

David

Gremlins? The Great Kabuki?

Roland
02-10-2006, 02:16

What gives guys?

David
It took you too long to compose your post. You were logged out for inactivity.

Sly
02-10-2006, 02:36
It took you too long to compose your post. You were logged out for inactivity.

Sounds like AOL, but if you have Callwave you wont get disconected!

David, I have a similar problem posted to the "Help" forum. It may help if you delete you cookies, history and cache.

Roland
02-10-2006, 02:53
Sounds like AOL, but if you have Callwave you wont get disconected!

David, I have a similar problem posted to the "Help" forum. It may help if you delete you cookies, history and cache.
Many sites (and as you point out, dial-up services) that require login (authentication) will disconnect after a period of inactivity. I think that's what happening here.

mash-tun
02-10-2006, 12:33
I had the same problem for the past few weeks. I would log in and my name would show up at the bottom as "logged-in" but whenever I tried to reply or post a new topic, I would be directed to the log in page. I wound up just re-registering under a new user id.

rhjanes
02-10-2006, 16:46
it's not inactivity. it's a bug in vbulliten.....
Happens on other forums i frequent.

Tip. When it happens! Don't log back on! Hit your browser "back". then, highlight and cut your post! Then, login and paste it and post it.

pain in the maintenance....

Roland
02-10-2006, 17:12
WhiteBlaze's inactivity timeout is currently set to 20 minutes.

attroll
02-11-2006, 14:54

What gives guys?

David

David

Was this a long post. How long did it take you to type it? This may help me answer you question.

Nean
02-11-2006, 15:05
Sooo, its a time deal? I type slow, look up words, etc. and this can be very frustrating to compose for half an hour only to see it disappear. Sometimes I can sign back in and I don't loose everything. I always thought it was my 'puter.

Why is it that sometimes you can edit and other times not?

attroll
02-11-2006, 15:26
Sooo, its a time deal? I type slow, look up words, etc. and this can be very frustrating to compose for half an hour only to see it disappear. Sometimes I can sign back in and I don't loose everything. I always thought it was my 'puter.

Why is it that sometimes you can edit and other times not?

Here's the deal.

If you place a check mark in the Remember Me block you should not have a problem on long posts. But if you do not place a check mark in the Remember Me box then the web site times out after 15 minutes because you have not show any activity on the site. If you're typing a long message that does not count as activity. Activity is moving around on the site like making the site respond to you.

As far as some post you can edit and some you can not. That is because that is the way some forums are set up. It was overlooked when the forums were created. When this gets found then it will be removed. The only ones that will be able to edit post in the future are donating members.

Fiddler
02-11-2006, 15:36
If you have problems with timing out and want to type a long post, or type some now and some later, even hours or days later, open Notepad and type your reply there. It won't go away till you close Notepad and don't save it. Then when you're ready to post, simply copy (or cut) from the Notepad menu and paste in the browser menu, being sure the cursor is blinking in the reply window.