PDA

View Full Version : Which UQ best suits my needs......

saltysack
01-22-2018, 19:43
Most of my trips are fall to spring on southern AT and try to hit a western trail in the fall for week or two. I’m a newbie hammock user, just ordered a Dutchware chameleon in wide. Plan to mainly use my EE wide/long 20* Enigma as TQ. Debating on a 3/4 length UG vs full length by HG and EE...any feedback welcome. During a winter trip if it’s due to be well below freezing I’ll probably ditch the hammock for my Duomid and xtherm.....3/4 vs Full length? Space and wt a concern as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue indian
01-22-2018, 20:07
How tall are you?

I am 6ft even and use a 3/4. It covers shoulders to knees.

I love this size, it saves weight and space in my pack.

I also carry some CCF as a sit pad and supplement with that if needed.

I think its a pretty versatile setup

saltysack
01-22-2018, 20:22
How tall are you?

I’m 5’11” 220......perfect I’ll save a few bucks and oz....I assume the hammock set up will be tight in the new burn.....if I ever get it!.....my fault though I changed design again. Ron’s probably sick of me....[emoji2]

saltysack
01-22-2018, 20:23
20* Phoenix or any better options? Not cure if EE even makes 3/4 UQ?

saltysack
01-23-2018, 00:46
How tall are you?

As far as tarps go I’m looking at the HG hex tarp...not sure if I should spend lil more and get one with doors?

Shrewd
01-23-2018, 11:51
I’m 6’3 and used a 3/4 length for the whole AT. I loved it. Sometimes I had it higher to cover my head because I’m a dose sleeper and often curled up anyway.

But I’ll second the butt pad; they’re great.

Check out LocoLibre Gear, they make fantastic quilts and you can order down to the inch what length you want, plus tons of colors

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/69bd9bc49178cad4eb3a5ed361675254.jpg

I love that purple!

Shrewd
01-23-2018, 11:53
*side sleeper

blue indian
01-23-2018, 13:10
I’m 5’11” 220......perfect I’ll save a few bucks and oz....I assume the hammock set up will be tight in the new burn.....if I ever get it!.....my fault though I changed design again. Ron’s probably sick of me....[emoji2]

Although I dont typically compress my down, you may have to compress one of your quilts to fit in the burn. Im waiting for my SWD 25 to come in. So we will be in a similar boat!
You may have to compress one of your quilts to fit in the burn. Im waiting for my SWD 25 to come in. So we will be in a similar boat!

blue indian
01-23-2018, 13:14
As far as tarps go I’m looking at the HG hex tarp...not sure if I should spend lil more and get one with doors?

Ive been using the Warbonnet 3/4 quilt and edge tarp. The edge is one of their smaller hex tarps and Ive only had issues with the size like 2 times. And neither time was so bad that my things got soaked or anything. Pretty much just got some driving rain getting me in the head and foot end. I think I would like one of HG cuben tarps with doors though. On a thru it would be nice to have the extra protection. But if youre good at setting up the tarp and site selection, a standard hex would be just fine.

tagg
01-23-2018, 14:02
Just to throw out another point of view, I used a 3/4 UQ with a sit pad as a supplement under my legs exclusively for about 7 years, but a couple of years ago I went to full length UQs and (for me) it's well worth the few extra ounces. I like not having quite the same fiddle factor as I did with the 3/4, and my feet weren't comfortable with the sit pad under them. I would also generally throw my extra clothing in the foot end of the hammock and use them as under-insulation, but didn't like doing that when they were wet and I don't usually carry much extra clothing. With the full length I'm much more comfortable and I wake up less, in fact so much so that I sold my 3/4 last year and used the cash to buy a warmer rated full length quilt for more flexibility. YMMV.

Feral Bill
01-23-2018, 14:49
I got a 3/4 length UGQ la couple of years ago and have been very satisfied to a bit below freezing. A backup CCF pad takes care of nights on the ground, feet, and sitting around.

saltysack
01-23-2018, 20:59
Thx...lots of good info...to many damn choices!

Vanhalo
01-23-2018, 21:03
I have 90+ days on a partial UQ from 10°-60°.
I use a 2QZQ under quilt protector with it every night.
UQs have a wider temp. range than TQs IMHO.

Shrewd
01-23-2018, 23:30

I just noticed your question about the tarp.

You probably won’t need the doors but after the AT.....there was only one time, barely fifteen minutes, where I could have used doors. Otherwise I was in the clear BUT those doors would have gone a long way towards peace of mind. I lusted after the coverage of my buddy’s superfly

TX Aggie
01-25-2018, 07:34
I personally look at temperatures to decide on which UQ to get. For under 40*, I prefer a full length because it’s just so much less fuss. I recently upgraded to a 0* HG Incubator which is a full length UQ and there’s no fiddle factor at all, even down to that 0* mark. I switch out to a lighter weight UQ once temps are consistently above 40, and while I currently use a home made UQ, if I get a new one it will be a 3/4 40*.

Bottom line: in cold, especially sub freezing, a couple of ounces are well worth the ease and comfort you get without having to fiddle with a pad under your feet when you’re already cold. Save your energy for hiking, not fixing your insulation.

My $0.02.

MikekiM
12-23-2018, 10:26
Not sure how the OP resolved the quilt needs.. but don't overlook a Phincubator. Sized between the full length Incubator and a Phoenix. I am 5'11" and it covers from my head to right at my feet. I tend to pull one leg up when I sleep so for me, it's a full coverage option the shaves some weight and bulk. As most of us do, I carry a sit pad that can go in the foot box if needed. I have also stuffed my down jacket down in the foot box if my TQ has any cold spots.

I use a custom Zimmerbuilt ZB2.. essentially a small ULA Ohm and very close to the size of the MLD Burn. I use it year round unless I know I am heading to a dry area and need to tote extra water... then I'll take the Ohm. I can fit a full quilt set, hammock and all gear in the ZB2 with no problem. I usually keep my 12' DIY tarp inside the pack when it's dry.

As far as your tarp selection... Unless you're going DCF, try MYoG route. And, definitely go with doors.. You can always pin them back when not in use. If you don't want to carry the extra weight of the larger tarp, then buy or make one Grizz Beak so you can close off the tarp end..

macdiver
07-03-2019, 22:18
HG makes awesome gear and will answer the phone too.