PDA

View Full Version : Week in March

Storminnorman
01-22-2018, 21:03
I may have a week in early March to get out and hike due to switching companies and I want to use my vacation instead of losing it. Where are some of the places you could hike for a week in early March? Thanks

ldsailor
01-23-2018, 12:03
Florida Trail, southern part of the Appalachian Trail (better have cold weather gear for the latter).

hikernutcasey
01-23-2018, 12:23
I may have a week in early March to get out and hike due to switching companies and I want to use my vacation instead of losing it. Where are some of the places you could hike for a week in early March? ThanksI see you are from PA so you know how cold it is around there and your tolerance to it. Going south isn't the easy answer. Due to the elevation gain in the NC, TN and southern VA sections March can be brutal. My vote would be the Shenandoah area. Yes it could still be cold but in a worst case scenario if a winter storm comes in at least you would be somewhere you could easily bail out with the road never too far away.

MuddyWaters
01-24-2018, 03:21
Not AT, but Ozark Highlands is best place to winter hike IMO.

Temps can occassionally hit single digits, but most often are
Mid 30s at night in march. Remote, few people. Water crossings can be bone dry or thigh deep, adding dimension missing from most of AT....wildness. march can still bring dusting of snow if lucky. Melts quick.

nsherry61
01-24-2018, 11:32
. . . Where are some of the places you could hike for a week in early March? Thanks
Me personally?
- The Grand Canyon
- The Arizona Trail - or part of it
- The Pinhoti Trail - or part of it
- The Olympic Coast Trail in Washington
- The Lost Coast Trail in California (although, it would be short hiking days to make it a week)
- Lots of many different routes on miscellaneous trails in the southwest
- New Zealand?
- The Desert Trail in Oregon, or part of it
- The Juan de Fuca Trail in BC Canada my be good, but probably pretty muddy still in March.

dbfl87
01-24-2018, 17:32
The Northville Placid Trail in the Adirondacks / NY State. 130 ish miles. 7-14 days depending on miles covered. Very peaceful but please take someone with you; portions of the trail can be very dangerous. 3 of the 5 people with us got injured and had to bail but we were pushing miles hard.

Coffee
01-24-2018, 17:40
I'm planning to hike the AT through Shenandoah in early March (which I've done before). I'm expecting winter conditions and should be prepared for it, although I might divert my plans to the Foothills Trail if SNP is socked in snow and ice. I hiked the Foothills Trail in early February 2015 and it was a great place to hike in winter (but still cold).