PDA

View Full Version : are bears attracted to any kind of smells...

LazyLightning
01-23-2018, 09:46
ok I have a serious question here that may sound like a joke. Also if this isn't the right place to ask please forgive me and either let me know so I can edit the post or delete it for me ;)

I know bears and other animals are attracted to any food smells, I'm wondering about smoke smells. More particularly in states where some things are legal to smoke that have a very strong odor even when not being smoked. I figure it's wise to hang all your smokeables with your food and not smoke anything in your tent during the night ... I'm also wondering about some of those strong odors that might stick to you a little even if nothing is in the tent with you. Hopefully the body odor over powers any of those smells, and hopefully animals arn't attracted to nasty body odor.

Slo-go'en
01-23-2018, 10:18
If any of those things were a concern, I would have been eaten by a bear a long time ago...

Martzy13
01-23-2018, 11:17
If any of those things were a concern, I would have been eaten by a bear a long time ago...

+1 on that

SoaknWet
01-23-2018, 11:18
If they get the munchies you had better be gone!!!

GoldenBear
01-23-2018, 11:27
First thing to know about bears is that their sense of smell is incredible
http://www.knowyourneighbors.net/bear-sense-of-smell/
It's pretty much how they interact with their world -- in the same way we use our eyes for long distance searching, bears use their noses.

The question then becomes one of how bears react to specific smells.
Which quickly becomes problematic because (1) research is sporadic, usually anecdotal, and sometimes contradictory; and (2) bears don't read the scientific literature.
It's like the Abbott & Costello routine where the former is trying to convince the latter not to worry about vampires:
"C'mon. Dracula doesn't exist, he's just a made-up story! You know he's not real, I know he's not real, EVERYONE knows he's not real."
"Yes, but does DRACULA know that he's not real!?"
Thus, no matter how firmly anyone (including me!) declares, "We all know that bears react in this way," you must ask the question, "Yes, but do the BEARS know that?"
Also, if someone states, "Odds are 999 out of 1000 that a bear will do this," you must ask the question, "What if I come across that one out of a thousand bear?"

**IN GENERAL**, bears have two main reactions to smells.
https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hiking/5-ways-to-attract-bears.htm
"Food" equals "good."
"Human" equals "bad."
That's why bears will inevitably meander close to ANY kind of smell remotely like food (like perfumes), but (generally) run away when they smell a human.

The problem comes when a bear has learned (been trained?) to think that "human" equals "food" equals "good."
When that happens, a bear will not only fail to run when it smells us, it will start to meander to where humans are gathering.
At which point everyone is in trouble.

Thus, don't count on a bear being disgusted with the smell of a stinky shirt, anymore that it would be disgusted with the smell of a rotting dear carcass. If the bear has learned "stinky shirt" equals "humans" equals "food," then you might as well sleep next to a deer carcass.

Now about the smells of stuff that one might smoke.
Surprisingly, people have tried to answer this question
http://www.westword.com/marijuana/does-marijuana-attract-bears-this-camper-wants-to-know-9300448
https://www.backpacker.com/stories/ask-a-bear-can-you-smell-my-marijuana
and the (basic) answer is, "We're not sure either way, but it would make sense that a bear MIGHT be attracted."

grubbster
01-23-2018, 11:28
Problem is those smokables may make you think you have a bear around even if you don't!

Puddlefish
01-23-2018, 11:33
First thing to know about bears is that their sense of smell is incredible
http://www.knowyourneighbors.net/bear-sense-of-smell/
It's pretty much how they interact with their world -- in the same way we use our eyes for long distance searching, bears use their noses.

The question then becomes one of how bears react to specific smells.
Which quickly becomes problematic because (1) research is sporadic, usually anecdotal, and sometimes contradictory; and (2) bears don't read the scientific literature.
It's like the Abbott & Costello routine where the former is trying to convince the latter not to worry about vampires:
"C'mon. Dracula doesn't exist, he's just a made-up story! You know he's not real, I know he's not real, EVERYONE knows he's not real."
"Yes, but does DRACULA know that he's not real."

**IN GENERAL**, bears have two main reactions to smells.
https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hiking/5-ways-to-attract-bears.htm
"Food" equals "good."
"Human" equals "bad."
That's why bears will inevitably meander close to ANY kind of smell remotely like food (like perfumes), but (generally) run away when they smell a human.

The problem comes when a bear has learned (been trained?) to think that "human" equals "food" equals "good."
When that happens, a bear will not only fail to run when it smells us, it will start to meander to where humans are gathering.
At which point everyone is in trouble.

Thus, don't count on a bear being disgusted with the smell of a stinky shirt, anymore that it would be disgusted with the smell of a rotting dear carcass. If the bear has learned "stinky shirt" equals "humans" equals "food," then you might as well sleep next to a deer carcass.

Now about the smells of stuff that one might smoke.
Surprisingly, people have tried to answer this question
http://www.westword.com/marijuana/does-marijuana-attract-bears-this-camper-wants-to-know-9300448
https://www.backpacker.com/stories/ask-a-bear-can-you-smell-my-marijuana
and the (basic) answer is, "We're not sure either way, but it would make sense that a bear MIGHT be attracted."

Username checks out, and good advice.

Dogwood
01-23-2018, 15:44
ok I have a serious question here that may sound like a joke. Also if this isn't the right place to ask please forgive me and either let me know so I can edit the post or delete it for me ;)

I know bears and other animals are attracted to any food smells, I'm wondering about smoke smells. More particularly in states where some things are legal to smoke that have a very strong odor even when not being smoked. I figure it's wise to hang all your smokeables with your food and not smoke anything in your tent during the night ... I'm also wondering about some of those strong odors that might stick to you a little even if nothing is in the tent with you. Hopefully the body odor over powers any of those smells, and hopefully animals arn't attracted to nasty body odor.Your question gives new meaning to Smokey the Bear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

AllDownhillFromHere
01-23-2018, 15:59
Even if the bear doesn't want your weed, they've learned by now that weed = hikers = snickersbars. The smell is going to attract them, and then they're going to eat your food... and probably weed.

Dogwood
01-23-2018, 16:05
Thers a simple solution since we're discussing legal med and rec use in states with dispensaries. Use responsibly which means legally by opting for concentrates in a Vap pen. There's no significant smell. And, it's much more discrete. And, you're not ingesting smoke from a combustible(burning) material affecting your lungs as much.

Most edibles have a reduced odor as well. Again, the above applies.

If you're considering legal med use for aches and pains brought about by inflammation from backpacking you should consider CBD only cannabis concentrates in various non smokable non smelly delivery systems.

Coffee
01-23-2018, 16:34
Bears are known to associate marijuana smoke with an unusual prevalence of junk food in the vicinity, especially at AT shelters near road junctions that lead to towns.

peakbagger
01-23-2018, 17:21
I expect the answer dependent on if the bears are human habituated?. Wild black bears dont want to mess with humans, the human habituated bears along much of the AT, I expect regard any unnatural smell near a shelter or campsite to be dinner bell. They have been rewarded often enough that its worth the energy to wander on over and check the "menu on the wall" and see whats easy to to get to. I expect weed smells similar to a campfire and travels quite far so for human habituated bears I expect they will appreciate the long distance dinner bell.

TJ aka Teej
01-23-2018, 17:33
When a bear associates a scent with rewarded foraging it is more likely to investigate that scent in the future.
No matter what the scent is.

SoaknWet
01-23-2018, 17:58
Which raises the chances that that bear will be destroyed.

rocketsocks
01-23-2018, 18:24
Anything new in the environment provokes interest, kinda like giving a hamster a new toy.

gbolt
01-23-2018, 19:13
Maybe after sniffing the smoke for awhile, the bear gets the munchies like everyone else! Let’s not over think this lol! :D

Dogwood
01-23-2018, 23:01
Ahh, east coaster cannabis mentalities and sensibilities are so not yet up to the west coasts and CO. You don't need to smell anything, experience red eyes, have smoke clouds, etc if you opt for non smoking products and delivery systems. Again, we're discussing legal use where there are dispensaries that have these alternatives available.

Sarcasm the elf
01-23-2018, 23:25
Oh great, now I've gotta worry about bears that have the munchies?!?

Sarcasm the elf
01-23-2018, 23:28
To answer the question, anecdotally, I can't imagine that they care about the smell. Though as Teej noted above, if they learn to associate any arbitrary smell with easy access to improperly stored food then they could hypothetically come a lookin.

MuddyWaters
01-24-2018, 03:50
Bears may investigate and taste any unusual smell.
May. Not will.
No animal behaves 100% predictable.
My brother and i once had two deer walk up behind us while we were sighting in rifles against a dirt pile . They were 50 yds behind us when we noticed them. Their tracks showed they had walked down the dirt road toward us about 100 yds. They didnt run until they knew we saw them. The shooting didnt alarm them at all, might have attracted them. One had antlers....usually extremely wary.

rocketsocks
01-24-2018, 11:32
Bears may investigate and taste any unusual smell.
May. Not will.
No animal behaves 100% predictable.
My brother and i once had two deer walk up behind us while we were sighting in rifles against a dirt pile . They were 50 yds behind us when we noticed them. Their tracks showed they had walked down the dirt road toward us about 100 yds. They didnt run until they knew we saw them. The shooting didnt alarm them at all, might have attracted them. One had antlers....usually extremely wary.yup, curious creatures all. Welcome back Muddy.

bushwhacker88
01-24-2018, 17:16
Anyone remember the bear found fairly near Springer Mtn. that had O.D.ed on cocaine? True, amazing story from the 80's.

GoldenBear
01-24-2018, 18:31
http://www.kyforky.com/cocaine-bear/

JG13
01-24-2018, 18:43
Anyone remember the bear found fairly near Springer Mtn. that had O.D.ed on cocaine? True, amazing story from the 80's.

Who knew Tony Montana started a thru hike? :)

rocketsocks
01-24-2018, 18:55
That’s some story!

Dogwood
01-24-2018, 20:25
Was it a thru hiking bear from S. America? Can only imagine how that happened if indeed it OD. I've twice seen drops from low flying aircraft in FL?

Knowing some people who know some legal cannabis industry growers none have shared bears are intent on eating the growing plants. And, they certainly give off a strong noticeable cannabis odor as they grow.

Regardless, there certainly are other animals and insects that will eat and/or contaminate dried material and growing plants. It seems best to keep material secured from them.

Francis Sawyer
01-31-2018, 11:12
Bears are not attracted to weed. Only humans have have mental/emotional issues which require illegal drugs to treat. Bears do love to kill hippies though:)

cneill13
01-31-2018, 12:43
Bears are not attracted to weed. Only humans have have mental/emotional issues which require illegal drugs to treat. Bears do love to kill hippies though:)

Lighten Up Francis

Old_Man
01-31-2018, 12:48
Anecdotally, I have never had a problem with bears whilst using my herbal supplements. Common sense goes a long way. It's a plant and bears don't generally go out of their way to get at a plant, when there are tons within easier access. The smell from combustion MAY attract interest, but it's not going to be as strong of a curiosity as from jerky or tuna because there is nothing substantially nutritious in the plant material that could create such an odor.

All that being said, ymmv.

Old_Man
01-31-2018, 12:51
Only humans have have mental/emotional issues which require illegal drugs to treat.

Say that to a cancer patient or a child with severe epilepsy.

Francis Sawyer
01-31-2018, 13:08
People with severe medical conditions aren't worried about bears stealing their stash.

4eyedbuzzard
01-31-2018, 19:05
ok I have a serious question here ...More particularly in states where some things are legal to smoke ...Okay, UNDER STATE LAWS, recreational possession is only currently LEGAL in two AT states, MA and ME. It's been DECRIMINALIZED (civil offense / fine) in MD, NY, CT, VT (legal as of July 1, 2018), and NH. Possession is still a criminal offense, usually a misdemeanor, in GA, NC, TN, VA, WV, and PA. You might want to read up on the potential penalties in different states here http://norml.org/laws

And since the sitting U.S. Attorney General rescinded the Cole memorandum, prosecution under federal law is still possible. Likely for a small quantity? No. But possession is technically illegal everywhere in the U.S., regardless of state laws.

swisscross
01-31-2018, 19:53
People with severe medical conditions aren't worried about bears stealing their stash.

Yes we are!

Berserker
02-01-2018, 17:27
http://www.kyforky.com/cocaine-bear/
Holy crap that was funny...never knew about that. Feel bad for the bear. Man he must have been literally levitating off the ground before he passed with that much coke in his body. I picture him with his eyes bugging out literally bouncing off of trees.

LazyLightning
02-01-2018, 18:32

yea well, only some humans have mental/emotional problems which require them to put others down to feel better about themselves

BlackCloud
02-02-2018, 10:10
Never heard of the cocaine bear. Great article. Poor bear. It may have smelled some of the materials that the coke had been "cut" or mixed with:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vdpb4y/the-cash-is-in-the-cut

Once on the PCT in WA State I had a bear walk into my campsite, stick its nose in each of my pack's pockets which were loaded with food or all kinds, look at me, and walked away. They're totally unpredictable....

Singto
02-03-2018, 04:20
Problem is those smokables may make you think you have a bear around even if you don't!

Post of the day...lol.

Traveler
02-04-2018, 08:55
Hasn't been a Hippie around since about 1975, about the end of the "summer of love" hangover.

WeedWho
11-05-2022, 03:19
Bears are animals that eat everything! From dead animals to a diet rich in a wide variety of plants, including mushrooms, nuts, seeds, berries and other fruits. Many of these flavors and aromas can be easily found in the most popular marijuana strains, this being the main attraction for curious bears. Therefore, it is a good recommendation to keep the weed well stored in a container that does not let the smell escape, otherwise, it is very likely that some bears will be attracted by the aroma of your weed (https://weedstripes.com/does-weed-attract-bears/).

LazyLightning
11-05-2022, 08:29
^ Wow, that article reads like one of those childish marijuana propaganda things in health class back in high school... with absolutely no research or anything scientifically proven. They even admit in the article they couldn't find anything in their research so that article is nothing more then one persons opinion and it reads like your trying to teach some 10-12 year old.

JNI64
11-05-2022, 09:30
"Smokey " the bear can come into my camp I'll share :)

HankIV
11-05-2022, 17:52
Everyone knows black bears were among the earliest proponents of legalization