PDA

View Full Version : Newbie hammock guy....tarps

saltysack
01-23-2018, 19:45
Looking at the HG cuben hex tarp vs tarp w doors....so many choices....curious why they don’t use micro line locks on hammock tarps like most ground shelters....all the Dutch gear is confusing the hell out of me! Any tarp input appreciated! Most use in south east fall to spring in cool to cold weather...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baldknobber
01-23-2018, 21:06
Well, the reason I don’t use line locks on my Zpacks cuben hammock hex tarp is to save weight, due to cuben not experiencing stretching like sil nylon does.

For tarp hardware, I would just get a pair of Dutch Flyz or Stingers for the end tie-outs with to 12’ lengths of Zing-It line. Corner tie-outs get 7’ lengths of Lawson glowire with Dutch Tapeworms.

I was was initially overwhelmed with all the hardware options, but a couple of hours with Shug’s YouTube channel cleared things up.

johnspenn
01-23-2018, 21:48
I use minimal hardware for my tarp ridgeline and none on my stake lines. Hardware isn't necessary.

However if you prefer to use hardware, Jaxx Drinkwater has a pretty sweet looking system for his tarp stake out lines, using some Z-Packs hardware. Check his videos on YT if interested.

T-Rx
01-23-2018, 21:58
I use a ridgeline with a dutch hook & a stinger. The tarp is attached to the ridgeline with prusik knots. My tarp is a hammock gear cuben fiber winter palace and my stakes are titanium from dutch gear.

Gone Rogue
01-23-2018, 22:31
I have same tarp and set up identical to T-Rex

D2maine
01-24-2018, 00:25
i use a continuous ridge line system no hardware. use braided surveyors twine(hollow core braid not the twisted stuff). make a fixed loop on one end using a locked brummel. so around the first tree through the fixed loop go to other tree wrap around tree and use a truckers hitch to tension.

then make 2 continuous loops and 2 soft shackles with the twine. finally attach the tarp to the prussics with the soft shackels and adjust the tarp to where you want along the ridgeline.

for the tie outs i use a small shock cord loop to each corner of the tarp then make up the tie out lines from more of the twine with fix loops at one end attach the looped end to the shock cord loop and the other goes around the stake to a truckers hitch. tension the line so the shock cord is tight and the shock cord will self adjust for stretch of the wet sil nylon in the case of rain...

no hardware super light super cheap and i use a high vis color of twine and have not had any issues, the knots quickly become 2nd nature

D2maine
01-24-2018, 00:38
continuous loop video (https://youtu.be/xcoKeXAwBZY)

soft shackle video (https://youtu.be/K0eZz36PRYI)

locked brummel fixed loop video (https://youtu.be/4WW7Qvg3VjI)

continous ridgeline similar to what i do except i use 2 prussics and no hardware (https://youtu.be/C-IkTg4z6UY)

saltysack
01-24-2018, 08:42
Great...thx for sharing....I joined hammock forums but first time I opened it I got that same feeling I get when I step into a SUPER Wally World......overwhelmed!!!

DuneElliot
01-24-2018, 09:54
I haven't been into hammocks long but I just love my Hammock Gear CF Winter Palace with doors. I got it for use with my hammock but also because it can be easily used on the ground too. I added the ZPacks linelocks with their yellow cord which works great.

I also like the privacy and weather protection of the larger tarp.

The simplest set-up I found was actually having two ridgeline ties vs the Continuous ridgeline (never could get it tight). The snakeskins are awesome too for ease of putting up and packing away

Recalc
01-24-2018, 10:46
Agree with DuneElliot that two separate ridgelines are the ultimate in simplicity. I use ridgelines (each 10 ft red 1.75mm Zing-It) with Fleaz and Dutch Hooks. Less bulk and line to tangle when stored, easy to setup, better ability to make the tarp as tight or loose as you want it.

The Fleaz is on a small loop that is larks headed to to tarp while the Dutch Hook is attached to the 10 foot of Zing-It. Simple, easy, and one of the lightest configurations that can be counted on. Hammock Forums has a thread discussing this.

rhjanes
01-24-2018, 10:52
Great...thx for sharing....I joined hammock forums but first time I opened it I got that same feeling I get when I step into a SUPER Wally World......overwhelmed!!!

Hi, I'd suggest two places to research. Get a copy of "The Ultimate Hang 2" (version two of a very well done, easy to understand, all things hammock book).
Then check out some of Shugs videos. He is very entertaining and you can find everything for hammocks plus more.
Here is a link to his YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC27nqmEhKzD9YHK1IFwG7qA

Line locks. I use small ones on all the corners of most of my tarps, CF included. I have some Dutch hardware on the ridge line. For the four corners, I have small plastic line locks, Larks headed to the four corners of the tarp. The lock then has zing-it thru it and the "away" end has a loop in it. I just stick the stake in the ground, pull the zing-it over to it, stick the loop over it. Then from under the tarp (very handing when it is raining), i just pull and "lock" the line to adjust and tension it.

ggreaves
01-24-2018, 11:02
Looking at the HG cuben hex tarp vs tarp w doors....so many choices....curious why they don’t use micro line locks on hammock tarps like most ground shelters....all the Dutch gear is confusing the hell out of me! Any tarp input appreciated! Most use in south east fall to spring in cool to cold weather...

Learn to tie a taut line hitch and you won't need any hardware at all. You're spending big bucks buying a lightweight tarp. Don't add unnecessary weight.

D2maine
01-24-2018, 11:33
Learn to tie a taut line hitch and you won't need any hardware at all. You're spending big bucks buying a lightweight tarp. Don't add unnecessary weight.

i like that better than the truckers hitch thanks...

ggreaves
01-24-2018, 11:51
i like that better than the truckers hitch thanks...

Truckers hitch is my go to when you really don't want slippage. sometimes if the cord's really slippery, a taut line hitch won't hold.

saltysack
01-24-2018, 12:16

Assume you tie the tautline hitch off directly to tarp with some kind of simple loop for stake at other end of guy line?

Shrewd
01-24-2018, 16:52
I used a HG hex tarp with stingers for the ridgeline tie outs and larks headed 4 fleaz to the corners and had 5 or 6 feet tied to my stakes.

Never used the pull outs

Shrewd
01-24-2018, 16:54
I was also a big fan of the hardware because I don’t like fussing with knots; especially after a 20 mile day.

But knowing how to do a taut line hitch is super useful.

saltysack
01-24-2018, 17:15
I used a HG hex tarp with stingers for the ridgeline tie outs and larks headed 4 fleaz to the corners and had 5 or 6 feet tied to my stakes.

Never used the pull outs

You have any pics?

Vanhalo
01-24-2018, 17:30
I use 1 StingerZ, 1 Dutch Hook for my Ridgeline....Dutch Tarp Worms larksheaded to the edge tie downs.

Example:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d2/db/82/d2db8244f3a4fb84c746030d5bd48c54.png

Dutch TarpWorms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1LiwPy-8Q

Shrewd
01-24-2018, 18:24
You have any pics?

No close ups. I mean what do you really want to see?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180124/5c55f130cd51e945b6aa4fcaad72efaf.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180124/a2e46b5de3d56980b687c82b56ad54ee.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180124/c742f2fe436f7fc085608f98a9fb535e.jpg

blue indian
01-24-2018, 18:33
I dont use any hardware on my tarp or tarp lines! I use an adjustable quick release knot on one end of my tarp and a fixed quick release knot on the other end ( I just copied the Warbonnet setup videos). For the 4 corners I just wrap my line around my msr groundhog a couple times and finish it with a half hitch to secure it.

All those hardware pieces are cool and may help with setup time, but I think its good to know how to tie and use knots. Plus knots are free and you cant loose them!

BTW, ever since Ive bought and used my tarp (over 500+ miles; its probably more but Im being conservative) Ive used braided painters line for the guylines. Ive never has an issue with it failing. Its super cheap and easy to find.

blue indian
01-24-2018, 18:35
https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/videos/

saltysack
01-24-2018, 18:36
Perfect thx..think I’m going to keep it easy and buy the Dutch tarp worm set up and tarp continues ridgeline...seems simple...

Martzy13
01-24-2018, 21:13
If I could, I would definitely recommend a tarp with doors. I had 2qzq from hammock forums add one set of doors to my hex-shaped silnylon tarp right before my thru last year and it was the best gear choice I made. It saved me (and a few others) on more than one occasion, just having one side closed up.

saltysack
01-24-2018, 22:55
If I could, I would definitely recommend a tarp with doors. I had 2qzq from hammock forums add one set of doors to my hex-shaped silnylon tarp right before my thru last year and it was the best gear choice I made. It saved me (and a few others) on more than one occasion, just having one side closed up.

Thx...I’m going to get one with doors...appreciate info...

TX Aggie
01-24-2018, 23:03
For pure simplicity and having everything you want, the Dutch continuous ridge line is very straight forward. Then just add 4’ ZingIt to the corner tie-outs.

If you look on Warbonnet’s site, they actually have a good video for various line options.

gbolt
01-24-2018, 23:21
Perfect thx..think I’m going to keep it easy and buy the Dutch tarp worm set up and tarp continues ridgeline...seems simple...

Check out Dutches Hookworm, same concept as the Tarpworm but allows the Tarp to be folded back on itself as a windblock. I am so happy I went with the Hooks.

gbolt
01-24-2018, 23:24
For pure simplicity and having everything you want, the Dutch continuous ridge line is very straight forward. Then just add 4’ ZingIt to the corner tie-outs.

If you look on Warbonnet’s site, they actually have a good video for various line options.

Zing It is great but also look at his Reflec-it for the guylines. It’s slightly thinner and looks cool when the headlamp lights it up!

TX Aggie
01-25-2018, 01:24
Zing It is great but also look at his Reflec-it for the guylines. It’s slightly thinner and looks cool when the headlamp lights it up!

I always forget about reflect-it. I do need to swap out my ground lines with it.

saltysack
01-25-2018, 09:11
Check out Dutches Hookworm, same concept as the Tarpworm but allows the Tarp to be folded back on itself as a windblock. I am so happy I went with the Hooks.

Perfect! Thx for sharing

saltysack
01-25-2018, 09:15
I always forget about reflect-it. I do need to swap out my ground lines with it.

Is the reflect-it similar to Lawson’s 2mm glow wire?

TX Aggie
01-25-2018, 16:03
Is the reflect-it similar to Lawson’s 2mm glow wire?

It’s actually closer to Zing-it and Lash-it. It’s 1.8mm Dynema, where Lawson’s is a blend of dynema and other fabrics. Reflect-it also comes in colors and is fully hollow core so it’s easy to splice.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/reflect-it/

saltysack
01-25-2018, 16:30
It’s actually closer to Zing-it and Lash-it. It’s 1.8mm Dynema, where Lawson’s is a blend of dynema and other fabrics. Reflect-it also comes in colors and is fully hollow core so it’s easy to splice.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/reflect-it/

Ok...was thinking could use some of the Lawson’s glow and shock cord I have laying around for tarp with tarp hooks save a few bucks....love the glow wire on my duomid.

TX Aggie
01-25-2018, 16:50
Ok...was thinking could use some of the Lawson’s glow and shock cord I have laying around for tarp with tarp hooks save a few bucks....love the glow wire on my duomid.

You can use it, nothing wrong with the Lawson from what I’ve heard. I’ve personally never used it just because I started with a roll of Zing-It that I basically use for everything.

macdiver
07-03-2019, 21:54
I'll second the trucker hitch.