PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Names

Cuffs
02-10-2006, 00:59
I picked up this small book at my library today... Appalachian Trail Names, by David Edwin Lillard.

Very interesting! Organized like a dictionary, it lists all the names of places/shelters/ knobs/ gaps/ campsites... along the way and gives a brief history of the name.

Example Big Butt is actually Big Butte, but its been "westernized" and lost its proper pronunciation.
Mt. Katahdin - Abenaki word meaning "the greatest mountain." hmmm whoda thunk it...
Did you know... Springer replaced Oglethorpe because of chicken farming?

Good, easy read/reference, 135+ pages, some b/w photos

Sly
02-10-2006, 01:38
Example Big Butt is actually Big Butte, but its been "westernized" and lost its proper pronunciation.

Sure you don't mean "southernized"? They still call them Buttes out West and the people are slimer!

Also, I think the Abenaki word for Katahdin is <!--StartFragment -->Ktaadn. And it's just Katahdin, not Mount Katahdin.

bigmac_in
02-10-2006, 08:45
Sure you don't mean "southernized"? They still call them Buttes out West and the people are slimer!

Also, I think the Abenaki word for Katahdin is <!--StartFragment -->Ktaadn. And it's just Katahdin, not Mount Katahdin.

Since you are splitting hairs - are the people really "slimer" out west? And what exactly does that mean? :D

Cuffs
02-10-2006, 10:50

Hey, I was just trying to be nice and share info. I didnt claim any expertise, just quoting what was in the book. If you dont like what your read, submit your explanations to the author, not to me, I dont have control over it. (and btw, its Kette-Addene)

jlb2012
02-10-2006, 11:33
... And it's just Katahdin, not Mount Katahdin.

Do you think you could get the folks at http://www.katahdincam.com/ to fix their title on that page?

Cuffs
02-10-2006, 11:35
Do you think you could get the folks at http://www.katahdincam.com/ to fix their title on that page?

Classic!! I also noted that Baxter SP also calls it Mt Katahdin...

Mountain Mike
04-04-2006, 23:20
Yes but do the Abinakies call it "MT" Katadin? We no longer refer to Denalie at MT McKinley, not Mt Denalie.

Tinker
04-04-2006, 23:30
I picked up this small book at my library today... Appalachian Trail Names, by David Edwin Lillard.

Very interesting! Organized like a dictionary, it lists all the names of places/shelters/ knobs/ gaps/ campsites... along the way and gives a brief history of the name.

Mt. Katahdin - Abenaki word meaning "the greatest mountain." hmmm whoda thunk it...
Did you know... Springer replaced Oglethorpe because of chicken farming?

Good, easy read/reference, 135+ pages, some b/w photos

Interesting, indeed, though I already knew about the origin of Katahdin's name and the relocation of the southern terminus of the trail. I knew there would have to be a good reason for the "Big Butt" Mountain name :D .

What about the "Chunky Gal Trail" in North Carolina (I think). What does the book say about the origin of that name?

Tinker
04-04-2006, 23:32
Yes but do the Abinakies call it "MT" Katadin? We no longer refer to Denalie at MT McKinley, not Mt Denalie.

Point well taken, but Denali doesn't have an "e" at the end of the word/name. (Of course, that's in English. I'm not aware of the native pronunciation or the correspondingly correct English (Arabic) letter rendering).

RockyTrail
04-05-2006, 00:08
What about the "Chunky Gal Trail" in North Carolina (I think). What does the book say about the origin of that name?

It's called Chunky Gal Trail because it runs along Chunky Gal Mountain just northwest of Deep Gap NC.

Maybe the mountain reminded someone of a certain person...:D

Cuffs
04-05-2006, 07:30
Interesting, indeed, though I already knew about the origin of Katahdin's name and the relocation of the southern terminus of the trail. I knew there would have to be a good reason for the "Big Butt" Mountain name :D .

From the book...
"The name of Chunky Gal Gap & Trail refers not to a woman of ample proportions, but one named for the traditional Cherokee game, which required a smooth open area. Called gatayusti, by the Cherokees, it was known to the whites by its Creek Indian name, chunkey"

BirdBrain
03-20-2015, 20:44

Bump.....
Sorry. Us Maniacs are protective of the greatest mountain.

tiptoe
03-21-2015, 10:53
I'd love to know how Six Husbands Trail (in the Whites) got its name. Anybody?

BirdBrain
03-21-2015, 12:02
An indian princess named Weetamoo supposedly had six husbands.

atmilkman
03-21-2015, 12:16
An indian princess named Weetamoo supposedly had six husbands.
I thought her name was Run Around Sue.

BirdBrain
03-21-2015, 12:26
That is the English translation.

Traveler
03-21-2015, 14:03
I thought her name was Run Around Sue.

Maybe it was run-a-round Sioux?

tiptoe
03-21-2015, 14:16
groan. but clever.

WingedMonkey
03-22-2015, 09:57
There is no such thing as Indian Princess.

Other than the imagination of Walt Disney.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-22-2015, 10:42
There is no such thing as Indian Princess.

Other than the imagination of Walt Disney.

Tell that to the woman I worked with whose father was chief of a local tribe and she was the princess. At least that the way she told it. Are you saying those titles only came about after/because of Disney?

Walkintom
03-22-2015, 11:07
Tell that to the woman I worked with whose father was chief of a local tribe and she was the princess. At least that the way she told it. Are you saying those titles only came about after/because of Disney?

Before Disney. Europeans in general, and the cultural transformation of native american life after European colonization.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-22-2015, 11:19
Before Disney. Europeans in general, and the cultural transformation of native american life after European colonization.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Never thought to ask her if that was a hierarchy natural to native americans or if it came about after we made our way over. Thanks :)