PDA

View Full Version : 2018 flip flop festival

mayhemontheat
01-25-2018, 10:15
Good Day Folks! Mayhem here to start spreading the word on the Festival plans for this year.

The Festival kicks off Saturday April 28 and ends Sunday April 29, with educational programs specific to hiking and backpacking, as well as more general outdoor pursuits, being held both days. As before, there will be food, fun, entertainment, and education!

One thing we are adding this year in addition to doing pack shakedowns throughout the weekend are "Appointment Only" pack shakedowns for folks that want a more private gear review. This will be available through the website or you can email me at [email protected].

The Festival website will be up and live in the next couple weeks - I will make sure to update this post when it is available so you fine people will know the schedules, entertainment line up, challenges and Quest activities, etc.

Keep an eye out for updates!
Mayhem

Singto
01-31-2018, 10:00
I'll be in town starting my NOBO FF but haven't decided if I'll attend the activities, 50/50 right now. LaurieP has been quite helpful.

Seatbelt
01-31-2018, 13:15
Where is this festival held??

Kaptainkriz
01-31-2018, 19:36
It has been right behind ATC HQ at 799 Washington Street in Harpers Ferry.

Where is this festival held??

mayhemontheat
02-01-2018, 11:31
Folks,

The Flip Flop Festival website is up and live - while there are more things to add, the educational workshops and seminars are listed out to help you plan your days at the Festival.

FLIPFLOPFESTIVAL.ORG - take a look and check back regularly for updates.

Also to address some of the above comments, the Festival center will be at the ATC and adjunct properties (you will not be able to visit Harpers Ferry 4/28-29 and not see signs to the Festival, parking, and related activities). In addition to the workshops and other attractions held near the ATC, the towns of Harpers Ferry and Bolivar are committed to holding other activities that will likely be of interest to visitors. Our hope is that visitors to the Festival will "make the rounds" and explore the various offerings from our local Merchants as well as participating in workshops.

Questions? Email me at [email protected].

Singto
02-02-2018, 00:59
Folks,

The Flip Flop Festival website is up and live - while there are more things to add, the educational workshops and seminars are listed out to help you plan your days at the Festival.

FLIPFLOPFESTIVAL.ORG - take a look and check back regularly for updates.

Also to address some of the above comments, the Festival center will be at the ATC and adjunct properties (you will not be able to visit Harpers Ferry 4/28-29 and not see signs to the Festival, parking, and related activities). In addition to the workshops and other attractions held near the ATC, the towns of Harpers Ferry and Bolivar are committed to holding other activities that will likely be of interest to visitors. Our hope is that visitors to the Festival will "make the rounds" and explore the various offerings from our local Merchants as well as participating in workshops.

Questions? Email me at [email protected].

Of course potential FFF attendees, including me, are likely to explore (historical town) and patronize local merchants. But this is a community that resists allowing festival attendees to have a place to tent/camp in or near the community (like Damascus), as I understand it. As I've posted before, it seems to me that if there is to be an increase in participation, I.E. an increase in business for local merchants, then it should be as convenient and affordable as possible for potential attendees. I'm booked with a local establishment just to have a place to stay but since I'm already carrying a comfortable shelter and premium sleeping equipment, and just starting my hike (shower not necessary), I don't see it as a "no brainer" to attend the festival. I may yet cancel everything (including patronizing local merchants and attending the festival) and just start my hike if I come to the conclusion that the accommodation/town expenditure money is needed more for my hike. It's probably enough to support at least two weeks on the trail. This is not to take away from the hard work that the ATC, it's staff and the volunteers do to make the festival happen, but rather the community just needs to get fully on board if they want the local economy to reap the potential benefits. Thank you mayhemontheat.

mayhemontheat
02-02-2018, 10:38
Good morning Singto!

You are absolutely right, Harpers Ferry/Bolivar have not yet completely warmed to having a lower cost camping solution for our towns, but trust that we are diligently working on it (and have been for a while) as we also attract many long distance cyclers and other outdoor enthusiasts in addition to the hiking crowd. A couple of the big differences between HF/Bolivar and Damascus are the historical preservation & National Park components - as a protected historical area it makes establishing a campground within easy walking distance difficult and we are literally surrounded by National Parks which is a limiter. But again, we are working on it with both Town Councils and other associated organizations and hope to have something worked out for next season.

What we are doing to help reduce cost is approaching the KOA (which is pretty close), Harpers Ferry Hostel, River & Trail/Brunswick Family Campground, River Riders, and potentially others to offer reduced rates during the Festival and provide a shuttle to get folks to and from town. I will certainly keep folks posted on that - hopefully that will lighten the financially burden and provide easier accessibility. While we would love to have you at the Festival I fully understand if you want to just get down to business and start your hike - however I will say that the seminars we put on are usually eye opening and of value for most people, regardless of level of experience. It's all personal choice of what works best for your circumstances and finances.

Either way, I hope to meet you in person sometime! Let me know if you decide to come to the Festival so I can track you down. Hike on Singto and all my best!

Singto
02-02-2018, 22:59
Good morning Singto!

You are absolutely right, Harpers Ferry/Bolivar have not yet completely warmed to having a lower cost camping solution for our towns, but trust that we are diligently working on it (and have been for a while) as we also attract many long distance cyclers and other outdoor enthusiasts in addition to the hiking crowd. A couple of the big differences between HF/Bolivar and Damascus are the historical preservation & National Park components - as a protected historical area it makes establishing a campground within easy walking distance difficult and we are literally surrounded by National Parks which is a limiter. But again, we are working on it with both Town Councils and other associated organizations and hope to have something worked out for next season.

What we are doing to help reduce cost is approaching the KOA (which is pretty close), Harpers Ferry Hostel, River & Trail/Brunswick Family Campground, River Riders, and potentially others to offer reduced rates during the Festival and provide a shuttle to get folks to and from town. I will certainly keep folks posted on that - hopefully that will lighten the financially burden and provide easier accessibility. While we would love to have you at the Festival I fully understand if you want to just get down to business and start your hike - however I will say that the seminars we put on are usually eye opening and of value for most people, regardless of level of experience. It's all personal choice of what works best for your circumstances and finances.

Either way, I hope to meet you in person sometime! Let me know if you decide to come to the Festival so I can track you down. Hike on Singto and all my best!

Yes, I think you (ATC) have the right approach and attitude. I was thinking the same about an already established campground near the community reducing rates for the festival to attract additional business. The big reasons that I am considering attending is the seminars, activities and to meet fellow flip floppers and ATC staff.

Thank you for yours and others hard work hosting this festival.

Slo-go'en
02-03-2018, 11:45
I would think many of those who plan to hike out of HF arrive by train and require accommodations which are within walking distance. Unfortunately, there aren't many bunks within walking distance of the train station.

I can understand the reluctance to have a camping area, even if there was a suitable area near-by (not sure if there is). Don't want it to get out of hand like Damascus. But maybe if it was restricted to "walk in's only" that would keep the numbers and problems to a minimum. Show that you arrived by train (which I believe is the only public transportation way to get to HF) and you get into the camping area.

Sorry I'll miss the festival this year. Looks like I'll arrive in HF to SOBO Virginia about a week early and will just hike out to the first campsite a few miles south of town after getting off the train.

colorado_rob
02-03-2018, 11:54
Sorry I'll miss the festival this year. Looks like I'll arrive in HF to SOBO Virginia about a week early and will just hike out to the first campsite a few miles south of town after getting off the train. We're going to cross paths, as my wife and I are heading NOBO from Daleville starting on April 9th, hoping to make it to Penmar in 3 weeks. Look for a very grey-haired old couple! Except my wife doesn't look old... I certainly do.

Anyway, the more I read about this, the more I think we're going to try to time it to walk through HF on that Sunday, after camping a ways south the night before. Sounds cool.

Singto
02-03-2018, 23:58
We're going to cross paths, as my wife and I are heading NOBO from Daleville starting on April 9th, hoping to make it to Penmar in 3 weeks. Look for a very grey-haired old couple! Except my wife doesn't look old... I certainly do.

Anyway, the more I read about this, the more I think we're going to try to time it to walk through HF on that Sunday, after camping a ways south the night before. Sounds cool.

You're likely to miss most of the activities and hikers. Sunday morning there's a breakfast at 7:30 and hiker send-off at 9:00. Other than that, the only activity that is currently listed is an afternoon African American history hike at 1:00.

They do say there will be a smaller send-off on Monday morning but I want to be at Ed Garvey or Crampton Sunday afternoon/evening. And I would guess that most FF hikers are thinking the same. If I see a couple as you described, I'll come up and say hi. Otherwise, happy hiking.

colorado_rob
02-04-2018, 12:09
You're likely to miss most of the activities and hikers. Sunday morning there's a breakfast at 7:30 and hiker send-off at 9:00. Other than that, the only activity that is currently listed is an afternoon African American history hike at 1:00.

They do say there will be a smaller send-off on Monday morning but I want to be at Ed Garvey or Crampton Sunday afternoon/evening. And I would guess that most FF hikers are thinking the same. If I see a couple as you described, I'll come up and say hi. Otherwise, happy hiking.thanks for this excellent info, we might be able to get there sooner.

mayhemontheat
02-16-2018, 23:21
Hey Folks,

Well this cool...for this year's Festival we have partnered with REI who will be onsite conducting several different workshops, a Q&A / Open Discussion Session, and other activities. As we are still in the planning stages the details will be posted as soon as we have them hammered out, so please check our site regularly (flipflopfestival.org) for details. Vendors, food, music, games, workshops, a Flip Flopper Reunion...Harpers Ferry/Bolivar is the place to be April 27-29.

Hope to see you there
Mayhem

mayhemontheat
02-20-2018, 23:20
Heads up - new this year at the Flip Flop Festival:

Appointment Only Pack Shakedowns are being scheduled for Friday April 27th, between the hours of 3:00pm - 6:00pm for any of those folks that prefer a more one-on-one and less public gear review. To schedule, email me at [email protected] and we will get you on the list.

Are you guys getting excited to get started?

Singto
02-21-2018, 00:58
Heads up - new this year at the Flip Flop Festival:

Appointment Only Pack Shakedowns are being scheduled for Friday April 27th, between the hours of 3:00pm - 6:00pm for any of those folks that prefer a more one-on-one and less public gear review. To schedule, email me at [email protected] and we will get you on the list.

Are you guys getting excited to get started?

Um..... Yeah! Difficult watching others starting their NOBO and not being out there. Great to watch and support them though.

jjozgrunt
02-21-2018, 06:16
I'm flip flopping but from further south. Local advice required how hard would it be to get transport from Pearlsburg to HP and obviously back again? Looking online hiring a car is probably the easiest option, if there is a car rental in Pearlsburg.

BuckeyeBill
02-21-2018, 14:31
You might try here: White Blaze Shuttle Providers (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/shuttles-2017.php) Good Luck.:)

colorado_rob
02-21-2018, 14:47
I'm flip flopping but from further south. Local advice required how hard would it be to get transport from Pearisburg to HP and obviously back again? Looking online hiring a car is probably the easiest option, if there is a car rental in Pearlsburg. If you're talking about "pearisburg", yep, there's an Enterprise Car Rental about 2 miles "west" of where the trail enters Pearisburg, in a nearby town called Narrows VA. Enterprise car rental is pretty good about picking you up and dropping you off some distance from their shop. Give them a call.

BuckeyeBill
02-21-2018, 17:35
You might try here: White Blaze Shuttle Providers (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/shuttles-2017.php) Good Luck.:)

BuckeyeBill
02-21-2018, 17:36
Sorry for the double post.

jjozgrunt
02-21-2018, 19:03
If you're talking about "pearisburg", yep, there's an Enterprise Car Rental about 2 miles "west" of where the trail enters Pearisburg, in a nearby town called Narrows VA. Enterprise car rental is pretty good about picking you up and dropping you off some distance from their shop. Give them a call.

Thanks for that.

mayhemontheat
02-23-2018, 11:03
Hey folks, if you are in Pearisburg and need a place to stay go over to the Holiday Lodge - owned by Sonu and Mickey Chawla, two of the most hiker friendly people you'll ever meet. They hold hiker feeds and other events regularly and have both private rooms and a bunkhouse for lodging choices.

Holiday Lodge
401 N. Main St.
Pearisburg, VA 24134

Tell them Mayhem sent you!