PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Cougar Declared Extinct

gpburdelljr
01-25-2018, 17:45
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/cougars-officially-declared-extinct-in-eastern-u-s-removed-from-endangered-species-list

AllDownhillFromHere
01-25-2018, 18:00
Translation: we dont want to waste money protecting them as a separate species

gpburdelljr
01-25-2018, 18:07
Translation: we dont want to waste money protecting them as a separate species

Actually, it’s a good thing. Now that it is not listed as an endangered species it clears the way to build a population using western cougars. See quote below from the article.

“Conservation groups said the decision clears the way for eastern states to rebuild cougar populations in habitats such as the Adirondacks and White Mountains using mountain lions from the U.S. West.”

kibs
01-25-2018, 18:47
Actually, it’s a good thing. Now that it is not listed as an endangered species it clears the way to build a population using western cougars. See quote below from the article.

“Conservation groups said the decision clears the way for eastern states to rebuild cougar populations in habitats such as the Adirondacks and White Mountains using mountain lions from the U.S. West.”

Also, they might weed out some of the slower hikers!!:D

Feral Bill
01-25-2018, 19:21
Also, they might weed out some of the slower hikers!!:D Wouldn't that put hard working bears out of work?

Sarcasm the elf
01-25-2018, 19:32
Wouldn't that put hard working bears out of work?

Might weed out the lazier bears too...

JG13
01-25-2018, 20:31
The big cat or 50 yr old Orlando divorcees?

Rex Clifton
01-25-2018, 21:51
I think this is too hasty. They just cloned a monkey! In a few years, with some old DNA, they can replicate the subspecies. Sounds kind of scary, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JJ505
01-25-2018, 22:05
I'm on a FB forum. Several people on there say they have seen them. Might have seen something else-- still if one is true, they wouldn't be extinct.

gpburdelljr
01-25-2018, 22:18
I'm on a FB forum. Several people on there say they have seen them. Might have seen something else-- still if one is true, they wouldn't be extinct.
What they have seen is western cougars that traveled long distances, or released cougars. The eastern subspecies is extinct. The Florida subspecies is in danger of extinction.

Sarcasm the elf
01-25-2018, 22:28
1) Western cougars periodically make it into the eastern states. One was killed ten miles from my house that was tracked by multiple DNA matches across the country and back to the Dakotas.

2) People are objectively terrible at accurately identifying objects and animals they've seen and are very often simply FOS. Just as one example, check out how many people were convinced that this healthy bobcat in Northwestern CT was a mountain lion.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/76756-Spotted-a-BOBCAT-(w-pics)

Dogwood
01-25-2018, 23:37
I think this is too hasty. They just cloned a monkey! In a few years, with some old DNA, they can replicate the subspecies. Sounds kind of scary, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProI bet they are searching for DNA in amber encased mosquitos. He he.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dogwood
01-25-2018, 23:45
“Conservation groups said the decision clears the way for eastern states to rebuild cougar populations in habitats such as the Adirondacks and White Mountains using mountain lions from the U.S. West.

Really? There is a whole lot more still in the way to realizing an east ciast cougar rebuilding program.

Feral Bill
01-25-2018, 23:57
1) Western cougars periodically make it into the eastern states. One was killed ten miles from my house that was tracked by multiple DNA matches across the country and back to the Dakotas.

2) People are objectively terrible at accurately identifying objects and animals they've seen and are very often simply FOS. Just as one example, check out how many people were convinced that this healthy bobcat in Northwestern CT was a mountain lion.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/76756-Spotted-a-BOBCAT-(w-pics) If a person wants it to be a cougar, it must be one.:-?

ALLEGHENY
01-26-2018, 00:25
Also, they might weed out some of the slower hikers!!:D

Might not. Faster hikers look like fleeing prey!:-?

gpburdelljr
01-26-2018, 00:28
“Conservation groups said the decision clears the way for eastern states to rebuild cougar populations in habitats such as the Adirondacks and White Mountains using mountain lions from the U.S. West.

Really? There is a whole lot more still in the way to realizing an east ciast cougar rebuilding program.

While there may be many obstacles in the way of building a population of cougars in the east, at least the Endangered Species Act is no longer one of them.

SoaknWet
01-26-2018, 06:48
I have a cougar that lives three doors down from me here in the east and I'm the first to admit she makes me nervous when she stares at me cutting grass in the summer. I've taken to wearing long pants for my safety!

JPritch
01-26-2018, 10:00

I shudder whenever I hear plans about introducing some species where it doesn't exist. These scientists need to leave things alone sometimes, as their plans often have long term consequences they fail to account for. You also have groups pushing to reintroduce grizzlys in California.

AllDownhillFromHere
01-26-2018, 10:51
I shudder whenever I hear plans about removing some species where it exists. These scientists need to leave things alone sometimes, as their plans often have long term consequences they fail to account for. You also have groups pushing to exterminate grizzlys from California.

Seatbelt
01-26-2018, 11:31
I have a cougar that lives three doors down from me here in the east and I'm the first to admit she makes me nervous when she stares at me cutting grass in the summer. I've taken to wearing long pants for my safety!
Well it sounds like you can now go after her if you want since she's no longer protected. :D

grubbster
01-26-2018, 14:05
Well it sounds like you can now go after her if you want since she's no longer protected. :D
I wouldn't assume it was a "her". Hard to tell now days. You have to roll them onto their backs to check.

Seatbelt
01-26-2018, 15:12
I wouldn't assume it was a "her". Hard to tell now days. You have to roll them onto their backs to check.
Sad but true

Heliotrope
01-28-2018, 00:38

C’mon. Admit it. You like the attention. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
01-28-2018, 10:40
Hold on thar, don’t do it! “Hell hath no fury like a cougar scorn”

Bronk
01-28-2018, 12:31
The article says there have been sightings of western cougars but no eastern cougar sightings since 1938. How do they know a western cougar from an eastern one without DNA testing? Are they really that different? I think this designation is really more about reintroducing cougars from the west than anything else.

In Missouri they thought the black bear was extirpated until they started studying black bears they thought had come up from Arkansas and with DNA testing they realized that there was a remnant population of bears from Missouri.

SoaknWet
01-28-2018, 12:38
By the accent, the western cats have a draw in their growl!

gpburdelljr
01-28-2018, 13:57
The article says there have been sightings of western cougars but no eastern cougar sightings since 1938. How do they know a western cougar from an eastern one without DNA testing? Are they really that different? I think this designation is really more about reintroducing cougars from the west than anything else.

In Missouri they thought the black bear was extirpated until they started studying black bears they thought had come up from Arkansas and with DNA testing they realized that there was a remnant population of bears from Missouri.
After the last known one was killed in 1938 there were no confirmed sightings until recent years. It took a long time for any western cougars to move east, and DNA testing was available when they did.

Jim Adams
02-23-2019, 01:17
I am very familiar with the.size and looks of a cougar and in 1990 I saw one on the A.T. when I was coming into Waynesboro. It was walking up the trail in front of of me. No one in town believed me and a half hour later another hiker came into town and had a picture of it. They are out there. Bobcats don't have 3 foot long tales.