PDA

View Full Version : Anyone backpack in cross trainers?

Ethesis
01-25-2018, 21:16
I used to wear hard Court cross trainers for everything.

Basketball shoes threw my knees out but I’ve thought of going back to cross
trainers.

Has anyone done that?

dreamweaver21
01-26-2018, 00:22
I did it for about 200 miles. Worked fine dry but took to long to dry out when I got them wet. Switched to trailer runners and happier overall.

daddytwosticks
01-26-2018, 08:07
Not cross trainers, but plain old New Balance generic trail runners. Whatever is on sale at the time. I'm very lucky when it comes to lack of foot problems while hiking. :)

Bronk
01-26-2018, 11:37
Any job is a lot easier when you are using the correct tool. There is a reason they make shoes for hiking. If you're thinking that you'll be able to wear the cross trainers doing other things, don't. Buy a pair of shoes that you only use for hiking. If you don't wear them walking around town or at the gym or mowing the lawn they will last a lot longer.

Bubblehead
01-26-2018, 13:08
Dito NB trail runners. I have gotten 800-1000 miles from each of the three pairs I've used. $55-$70 per pair on Amazon. No foot issues except for numb toes after 800 miles hiked....Pennsylvania/NJ/NY rocks...

Time Zone
01-26-2018, 13:09
Any job is a lot easier when you are using the correct tool. There is a reason they make shoes for hiking. If you're thinking that you'll be able to wear the cross trainers doing other things, don't. Buy a pair of shoes that you only use for hiking. If you don't wear them walking around town or at the gym or mowing the lawn they will last a lot longer.

I'll take the contrarian view on this. Wearing trail runners around town is a great way to break them in, if they need breaking in. Plus, dual purpose items aren't just for packing light. Live light! Sure, you might have to replace them a bit more often versus a dedicated pair of trail runners, but if the shoes you'd wear around town instead would be just as expensive, it may not matter (except perhaps looks).

But I do agree with Bronk about using the right tool. Unless your cross trainers have aggressive tread, they may be a poor choice for hiking. Perhaps it depends on the trails you hike, but anything with a non-trivial incline, or rough terrain, I'd not want something designed for pavement.

evyck da fleet
01-26-2018, 14:12
I agree with the above comments. I started day hiking in cross trainers, switched to the cheap NB for training hikes for the extra grip and then on to Salomons for the better toe protection, quicker drying and tighter webbing at the top. The NBs had a tendency to snag on sticks/rocks on the AT.

MuddyWaters
01-26-2018, 14:25
People have successfully thru-hike in everything from bare feet to sandals to sneakers , to heavy boots.

You can quite literally wear anything you are comfortable in. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
An aggressive tread may be helpful at times. That don't make it necessary.
Grandma Gatewood wore Keds sneakers.

A poor Workman blames his tools.

Ethesis
01-26-2018, 15:08

I use trail runners for other things :). I walk in them daily, weight lift in them, use them like cross trainers. I’ve been wanting to get a feel for living in just one pair of shoes.

I just really liked cross trainers to walk and hike in in the past and it got me thinking—especially as some types are really durable. The cheapest trail runners I’ve bought gave me plantar fasciitis for the first time in my life —the support slowly flattened out.

I’m about to get another pair as my north face trail runners are wearing out.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

Ethesis
01-26-2018, 15:10
People have successfully thru-hike in everything from bare feet to sandals to sneakers , to heavy boots.

You can quite literally wear anything you are comfortable in. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
An aggressive tread may be helpful at times. That don't make it necessary.
Grandma Gatewood wore Keds sneakers.

A poor Workman blames his tools.

thanks. I’m purely looking at shoes on the AT. I’ve enough experience to be comfortable with my shoe choices for other things.

egilbe
01-26-2018, 19:00
I started hiking in crosstrainers, but the soles were so soft that the rocky trash beat my feet into submission. My feet are happier with a stiffer sole than those cross trainers provided.

swjohnsey
01-26-2018, 20:52
Did the trail '12 in New Balance running shoes. Went through about six pair.

MuddyWaters
01-27-2018, 08:21
Warren Doyle makes a point of hiking in old sneakers bought at thrift shops and garage sales for a couple $ per pair.

He has only completely hiked the AT.....seventeen times.

There are incremental benefits to nice gear. Small increments. But 90% of what most will tell you is necessary, simply isnt. Things aren't much different from when Grandma Gatewood walked it with a laundry sack , a shower curtain , and a wool blanket, wearing keds sneakers.

Zed
01-27-2018, 16:42
It's easy to hike in old thrift store shoes when you have vehicle support every day. I personally would rather only have to deal with shoes every 700 miles or so than be like one of Doyle's hikers I met in Virginia who was duct taping his Walmart specials after only 100 miles. But to each their own.

JJ505
01-27-2018, 17:41
What's the problem with NB Trail runners? I have some 940s (exact no?). Not having any problems, but not a thru hiker (i've heard they don't wear well).

evyck da fleet
01-27-2018, 18:11
NBs worked fine for me when training but the toe box got torn up and I had to duct tape the shoe back together before Erwin on my thru. I also had a problem with the mesh on the top snagging on rocks and sticks. I bought a pair of Salomons in Damascus which lasted until the DWG. YMMV. I thought the extra money for trail runners was worth the comfort. Of course based on miles per dollar the NBs may have been more expensive.

Don’t confuse what may have worked for someone else while weighing cost versus comfort as being necessary. Decide for yourself. There will always be someone telling you they can do it faster, lighter or cheaper.

Christoph
01-27-2018, 19:51
Any trail runners or cross trainers should work, whatever is more comfy for ya. I ended up with a pair of Merril trail runners and loved 'em! But everyone's different so get whatever you feel the most comfy in. Of course the trail will help you decide with wear and tear and comfort.

Ethesis
01-27-2018, 21:50
What's the problem with NB Trail runners? I have some 940s (exact no?). Not having any problems, but not a thru hiker (i've heard they don't wear well).

mostly I was just looking for shoes I can buy without having to hit up the REI.

Where I live that is the only place for trail shoes.

I think I will go with the ultra-x pair I bought to replace my North Face shoes.

I tried some NB 400s (bought them when my shoes blew out and they were what was available).

The last collapses and that wasn’t good.

They look brand new still.

NB discontinued them so they probably are not a good example of NB.

As far far as I can tell they were NB’s knock off of NB.
Not a good experiment.

MuddyWaters
01-28-2018, 01:42
mostly I was just looking for shoes I can buy without having to hit up the REI.

Where I live that is the only place for trail shoes.

You never heard of mail order?

Zappos and running warehouse have free shipping and free return shipping. You can try as many as like at home for cost of gas to drop off returns at ups.

RW takes back shoes after use as well

shelb
01-31-2018, 00:46
Train runners!!!!!

Elaikases
02-01-2018, 22:53
http://www.complex.com/sneakers/2013/06/the-10-best-crosstrainers-for-tennis-players for the cross trainer models.
I used to love the cross trainers, especially the NB A-1 last. I haven't found a cross-trainer last I like as much.
These comments have made me think.