PDA

View Full Version : Ms. Janet/Pilgrim/Neville

Pastor Bryon
01-26-2018, 13:12
Any else getting blind carbon copy emails with an email thread and pics with regards to something between these 3? What's up with this? Why am I receiving them?

It is from J.H.

Cheyou
01-26-2018, 13:56
Any else getting blind carbon copy emails with an email thread and pics with regards to something between these 3? What's up with this? Why am I receiving them?

It is from J.H.

Me 2 . What’s it all about ?

illabelle
01-26-2018, 14:20
Me three. I figured it was a russian hacker ... or something. Didn't open it. Deleted it. At least the second time I've gotten that email.

chknfngrs
01-26-2018, 14:20
No, but what’s the content of the messages? Should I make popcorn?

Zed
01-26-2018, 14:25
Yep. How he got my email address is a mystery. From the sidelines is appears Pilgrim is just being Pilgrim.

HeartFire
01-26-2018, 14:48
Yup, just a psycho. - where's the pop corn?

Pastor Bryon
01-26-2018, 14:53
Who is Pilgrim? And how do we stop this? I cannot think of an ethical way he would have gotten my email and others'.

FrogLevel
01-26-2018, 15:00
Who is Pilgrim? And how do we stop this? I cannot think of an ethical way he would have gotten my email and others'.

There was a thread on the AT subreddit last week about it. Evidently that mentally ill addict guy (Pilgrim Skywheel, HikerTash, etc) is back again causing trouble per usual. He's impersonating people this time around.

Report all posts for deletion and just ignore him. Its all about the attention.

FrogLevel
01-26-2018, 15:05
His name is Joshua Michael Harrington.

billreillyjr
01-26-2018, 15:30
He can get your email from this site.check the members list.

Tennessee Viking
01-26-2018, 15:37
He is spoofing Miss J and others giving his OWN opinion about hostels/services along the trail.

If anyone can read their email code and forward me the IPs, I can do some research.

CalebJ
01-26-2018, 16:17
Thanks for clarifying how he grabbed my email address. Why the #@$#@$ is the default setting to allow that to be visible? That's not standard on any other forum that I can think of. Just went and fixed it.

SteelCut
01-26-2018, 16:35
Thanks for clarifying how he grabbed my email address. Why the #@$#@$ is the default setting to allow that to be visible? That's not standard on any other forum that I can think of. Just went and fixed it.

Agreed, that default setting is just plain wrong.

CalebJ
01-26-2018, 16:43
If you have a minute, send the administrator a PM about it. Bringing some attention to it will help. I just sent one as well. That leaves the entire membership email database ripe for harvesting.

CalebJ
01-26-2018, 16:47
He is spoofing Miss J and others giving his OWN opinion about hostels/services along the trail.

If anyone can read their email code and forward me the IPs, I can do some research.

What are you looking for? The only public IP's I see in the delivery info are Gmail servers. Everything else is 10.x.x.x private stuff.

Time Zone
01-26-2018, 16:56
How do you change the setting? I'm having trouble finding a way to do it. Thanks.

SteelCut
01-26-2018, 17:00
Go to your general account settings and uncheck "Receive Email from Other Members"

CalebJ
01-26-2018, 17:01
At the top right of the forum view, click 'Settings'. On the new page look under 'My Account', and click 'General Settings'. From there, look for the 'Receive Email' selections and uncheck everything except 'Receive Email from Administrators'.

Time Zone
01-26-2018, 17:04
Thanks!

I'd also suggest - just above that area - unchecking the option to allow for vCard downloading. It contained my email address. It's "allowed" by default. Ripe for 'bot/spider email harvesting if you don't change it.

There could be other ways to get through too, but I'm not sure. (Visitor messages?).

SteelCut
01-26-2018, 17:06
Thanks, I missed the vCard setting.

CalebJ
01-26-2018, 17:07
Definitely a good catch. Even after changing the 'allow email from other members' setting, the vcard definitely included my email address.

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-26-2018, 17:27
To stop anyone seeing your email address in the vCard, change the vCard Download setting to "Don't Allow" (This is in the General Settings page)

HeartFire
01-26-2018, 18:30

I sent you an email with the source codes.

Alligator
01-26-2018, 22:24
If you have received an unwanted email from this individual, please consider holding on to it as possible evidence of cyber harassment stalking on his part. It is strange to receive such communications unsolicited.

I apologize regarding the settings. I haven't looked into it in many years, but my understanding was that the setting only allowed the email to be sent from the WB email account. So while we have your email, I am not exactly sure that the sender could see your email address unless you responded to the sender. I will discuss it with Attroll.

attroll
01-27-2018, 10:22
I have made the following two changes to the web site to elevate emails being display to any other users.

I have changed is so that no one can view any other users email address but clicking on "Send Email".
Now when they click on "Send Email" they have the option to send an email but it goes through are server and it is secure and the user sending it can no longer see the other users email address.
I have removed the vCard option so that users can no longer see or downloaded vCards.

Please, if anyone knows of anything that could be a possible privacy or security issue that could be a problem, please PM or Email me with your concerns so we can immediately look into it an nip it in the butt immediately.