PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of 2019 flip-flop

Vashta
01-27-2018, 05:22
Just trying to figure out if this will work.... As a bit of background, I perform every summer at the Bristol Renaissance Faire (with rehearsals in June and performance days through Labor day) and really don't want to miss the season but still want to attempt a through hike.

What are your thoughts about starting at Harper's Ferry and summiting Katadin before mid June and then after Labor day finishing the southern half from Harper's Ferry to Springer Mountain? Would starting at the end of March/beginning of April work?

I have always lived in Wisconsin so I have no idea about the weather trends out east.... So there's that question too.

Thanks!

moldy
01-27-2018, 08:29
Nope. The snow will be too deep starting in Vermont. My advice would be to do a North bound hike starting in early March and get as far as you can by mid June. After Labor Day weekend I would flop up to Baxter and head South and hope for the best when it comes to the Whites. If you start early enough and you go fast enough, you could do it.

Slo-go'en
01-27-2018, 12:30
Unless your a really fast, experienced hiker who doesn't mind mud and rain and cold, then leaving HF in late March or early April is a really bad idea. If your inexperienced and in less then peak physical condition, it is unlikely you would get to Baxter by mid June or even close. Not knowing your abilities and level of experience, it's hard to make a guess.

Moldy's suggestion is a better plan but still puts you hiking in less then ideal times of the year for weather.

Vashta
01-27-2018, 12:56
I'm currently not in the best of condition but have started to work on that, hence waiting until next year for my hike. I've done quite a bit of hiking and camping so I do have some experience but it has been a while since I've done it seriously, again the reason for waiting until next year

Turtle-2013
01-27-2018, 16:10
I've hiked with some thru hikers in Maine who were finishing as soon as the opened Katahdin, having started at Spring in January ... but it is exceptions, and you open yourself of to bad weather the whole way. That said, watch the weather patterns, and particularly pay attention to the mountains in VT and NH so that you hit them at good times.... in my experience south of that is pretty doable Spring-Fall, unless you just hit a bad extended winter.