PDA

View Full Version : Are trekking poles supposed to slip?

fithiker
01-27-2018, 14:43
Are trekking poles supposed to slip?

I've never used poles before but have been thinking of trying out a pair this season.
Went to my local outdoor retailer this weekend and was checking out their selection.
Tried a half dozen pair of different models of Leki's with Speedlocks and every one of them slipped (got shorter) when I pushed down with only moderate force.
Did the same thing with a half dozen different models of Black Diamond poles with Flicklocks and none of them slipped.

Showed 2 different sales people what was happening and both of them said that this was normal.
They said that the poles are supposed to slip so that they don't break.
I wasn't pushing down all that hard and it would seem to me that a pole that collapses when you need it most would be a bad thing.
Is this normal?
Has anyone else experienced this?
How about with brands other than Leki's or Black Diamond?

johnspenn
01-27-2018, 14:55
They shouldn't slip that easily.

I got these Cascade Mountain Tech carbon fiber poles (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EJP43FA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for my daughter-in-law for Christmas after seeing several positive reviews in various places.

After I got them adjusted I put all my weight on them (240ish) and they didn't slip.

Traffic Jam
01-27-2018, 14:55
I had trouble with my Black Diamond’s collapsing until I realized they weren’t set up correctly. They have to be extended until the silver tab is engaged.

Here’s a video...fast forward to 1:57 to see what I mean.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dil7mRlrMXM

AllDownhillFromHere
01-27-2018, 15:11
No. I blame the ****ty new "flip" locks. They must be easier to manufacture or assemble somehow, I can't understand why they're actually better.

Turtle-2013
01-27-2018, 15:15
The flip lock ARE better ... but not till you use the adjustment screw for the length that you intend to use them. Once adjusted it will take considerable force to make them collapse ... before you adjust them they may not lock tightly at the length you are using them. Ski poles you generally just twist the part that flips out, but my hiking poles require a screwdriver.

Feral Bill
01-27-2018, 16:03
The advice you got suggests finding a different retailer.

D2maine
01-27-2018, 16:17
yeah those sales people have no clue, just adjust the screw on the flic loc and they will work fine. echoing what was said above find an outfitter that has an actual clue what they are doing...

Pheral
01-27-2018, 19:18
They shouldn't slip that easily.
I got these Cascade Mountain Tech carbon fiber poles (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EJP43FA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for my daughter-in-law for Christmas after seeing several positive reviews in various places.
After I got them adjusted I put all my weight on them (240ish) and they didn't slip.

+1 for these Cascade Mountain Tech. They're a bargain and work great, really making me question the need to spend $200 on a pair of poles. I'm actually about to replace mine with a new pair of the same. In two years I've worn the tips way down, and I don't think those are replaceable.

Christoph
01-27-2018, 19:25
I had a pair of the Walmart poles with flip locks and they never slipped on my thru. Had them the entire trip and while the tips wore down to nubs, they never let me down. You definitely need to find a way so they don't slip. So much trust goes into your poles when you're depending on them on a decline.

D2maine
01-27-2018, 19:28
+1 for these Cascade Mountain Tech. They're a bargain and work great, really making me question the need to spend $200 on a pair of poles. I'm actually about to replace mine with a new pair of the same. In two years I've worn the tips way down, and I don't think those are replaceable.

$8 for the entire tower section

https://cascademountaintech.com/collections/trekking-pole-parts/products/trekking-pole-parts-carbon-fiber-quick-lock-pole-lower-section-replacement

D2maine
01-27-2018, 19:29
lower section damm stupid lack of edit

DuneElliot
01-27-2018, 19:38
No, they are NOT supposed to slip. My Cascade Mtn Tech $50 poles don't slip at all (unless adjusted badly). The tightening screw makes the difference on the flip-lock poles

rocketsocks
01-28-2018, 10:50
I’m didnt slip, they locked-up tight!

reppans
01-28-2018, 14:45
Another option are folding poles like Black Diamond Z poles - they don't use telescopic clamps, so can't slip, but are non-adjustable, so you need to size it right.

ldsailor
01-28-2018, 14:46
I have used both flip lock and twist lock poles and only the twist locks slipped a couple of times during a LASH. However the flip lock poles were not without problems. The flip locks were carbon fiber. I hiked in Pennsylvania with them. After a week, the first one got stuck in a rock, and before I realized it, the tip broke off. About ten days later, the same thing happened to the other pole. Lest you think the problem was isolated and can be attributed to cheap poles (maybe they were - the manufacturer gave them to me at no charge to test), I saw a couple of other hikers with carbon fiber poles who had the tips break off.

The twist locks where aluminum ($30) and I had no other problems with them on the trail other than a couple of times one slipped. However, one of the twist lock poles locked permanently in the extended position. I could not shorten the pole.

tflaris
01-28-2018, 15:24
Tighten the nut on the Leki’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
01-28-2018, 18:11
There are things you can do to help with the slippage. I did all of them over the years to my Lekis. Then I did the number 1 thing you can do to fix, which is buying a set of Black Diamond poles with the flip locks. This instantly solves the slippage problem. :)

Pheral
01-28-2018, 22:14
$8 for the entire lower section
https://cascademountaintech.com/collections/trekking-pole-parts/products/trekking-pole-parts-carbon-fiber-quick-lock-pole-lower-section-replacement
Awesome! I had no idea.

cmoulder
01-29-2018, 11:46
Flick lock slippage is nearly always (aprox 99.9999% :)) cured simply by tightening the little nut on the cam.

I'll bet it's in the instructions!

tflaris
01-29-2018, 18:40
There are things you can do to help with the slippage. I did all of them over the years to my Lekis. Then I did the number 1 thing you can do to fix, which is buying a set of Black Diamond poles with the flip locks. This instantly solves the slippage problem. :)

The shape of the grip on the Leki’s is so much more comfortable than the BD’s.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2maine
01-29-2018, 19:04

are you talking the twist lock type leki or the speed lock leki? i ask because i have never heard of a speed lock type slipping if the screw is properly adjusted, and the OP was clearly asking about the speed lock type...

fwiw i think the twist locks suck from every vendor, not just leki

AllDownhillFromHere
01-29-2018, 19:16
are you talking the twist lock type leki or the speed lock leki? i ask because i have never heard of a speed lock type slipping if the screw is properly adjusted, and the OP was clearly asking about the speed lock type...

fwiw i think the twist locks suck from every vendor, not just leki

Completely happy with mine. They also don't snag on anything.

Don H
01-29-2018, 19:33
Had a pair of Leki twist locks that I could never keep from slipping. I bought a pair of Black Diamonds with the flip locks and have not had the slipping problem with them. I have made adjustments with the set screw on the locks to keep them tight.

Coffee
01-29-2018, 20:39
I've had BD Carbon corks for several thousand miles and they never slip. They have the flip locks.

eatapeach
01-29-2018, 21:58
I have a set of Komperdells that I got cheap from STP (I think), and they sort-of slip, but by design. They have about an inch of give and I really like this feature. Explorer Cork AS (anti-shock).

fithiker
01-31-2018, 21:36
OP here.
So it seems unanimous that the poles are not supposed to slip - this makes sense to me.
Also seems that adjusting the locks so that they clamp tight isn't all that hard.

It was odd to me that all of the poles from one manufacturer slipped whereas all of the poles from another one didn't.
As each brand has its share of loyal (and satisfied) customers - no I just need to decide which one to try first.
Thank you to all for commenting.

sqidmark
02-01-2018, 11:41
Another option are folding poles like Black Diamond Z poles - they don't use telescopic clamps, so can't slip, but are non-adjustable, so you need to size it right.

My wife and I have been using aluminum z-poles for about 5yrs now. Ours also have a flick-lock adjustable section at the top. As other have said, tighten the screw a bit to have them lock down tight. Once that had been done, ours have not slipped. I believe the newest models are designated as FLZ, or something like that.