PDA

View Full Version : A potty trowel with awesome illustrated instructions

devoidapop
01-27-2018, 21:48
http://thebackpackerstrowel.com/

Just makes me chuckle

Emerson Bigills
01-27-2018, 22:16
I must confess a story. About three months before I started my thru, I attended a presentation by the ATC at an REI on thru hiking. The young lady made such a compelling pitch about all things toilet, I decided to purchase a single wide tent stake that could double as a cat hole trowel. I carried it into SW VA, but never had to use it, so I sent it home.

The amazing thing is that in the entire 2190 mile journey, I never had to dig a cat hole, or poop directly into the ground one single time. I was able to use the shelter privies or time my needs until I got into town or a hostel. I hiked with a couple people that could not pass a single privy without stopping to participate in the fun. I was always amazed at the difference in systems, even though I was probably 30 years older. Probably TMI.

I would not recommend anyone planning a thru plan to expect to have this good fortune, but I had to share.

Christoph
01-27-2018, 22:36
On my thru I did my "business" in privies along the way. There were a lot of conflicting reports on "what to do" when going in the woods. I just went, did my business, and left the scene. I figured between the trekking pole erosion posts on here and me diggin a hole and having an animal dig it further was further escalating the erosion situation. There were some mine fields to beware of, but overall it wasn't the unpleasant sight you typically hear of on here. At least, that's my experience.

HooKooDooKu
01-28-2018, 00:38
... There were a lot of conflicting reports on "what to do" when going in the woods...
There shouldn't be any conflict... you should only have to know the rules for the area you are hiking... and there are generally only two rules to content with:
1. Do the rules allow you to bury your poop
2. Do the rules allow you to bury your TP

So based on those two rules for the area you're hiking you:
A. Dig a 6" hole and bury your poop and TP.
B. Dig a 6" hole and bury your poop and pack your TP out.
C. Use something like a WAG Bag and pack it all out.

and of course when you're near a privy, regardless of rules 1 & 2,
D. Use the privy

Sarcasm the elf
01-28-2018, 01:12
There shouldn't be any conflict... you should only have to know the rules for the area you are hiking... and there are generally only two rules to content with:
1. Do the rules allow you to bury your poop
2. Do the rules allow you to bury your TP

So based on those two rules for the area you're hiking you:
A. Dig a 6" hole and bury your poop
B. Dig a 6" hole and bury your poop and pack your TP\
C. Use something like a WAG Bag and pack it all out.

and of course when you're near a privy, regardless of rules 1 & 2,
D. Use the privy

I feel like your comment should be posted verbatim on the info boards at major trailheads.

nsherry61
01-28-2018, 12:38
FWIW I really hate privies. When hiking with my wife, when she sees a privy, it like she found a treasure chest. She looks forward to using privies in preference to the ground. NOT ME!! I find most privies stinky and dirty and disgusting. It is so darn easy, in most cases, to walk or climb off the trail, find a nice pleasant secluded spot, dig a cat hole, squat, drop your waste, clean up, bury your waist and move on. Why wait for a privy? Why put up with a privy? And yes, I'm a guy, but I also know women that feel the same way, and if they don't use TP when peeing, they don't need to dig a cat hole any more frequently than I do.

But, back to the OP . . . I agree, awesome instruction page!

DuneElliot
01-28-2018, 12:49
FWIW I really hate privies. When hiking with my wife, when she sees a privy, it like she found a treasure chest. She looks forward to using privies in preference to the ground. NOT ME!! I find most privies stinky and dirty and disgusting. It is so darn easy, in most cases, to walk or climb off the trail, find a nice pleasant secluded spot, dig a cat hole, squat, drop your waste, clean up, bury your waist and move on. Why wait for a privy? Why put up with a privy? And yes, I'm a guy, but I also know women that feel the same way, and if they don't use TP when peeing, they don't need to dig a cat hole any more frequently than I do.

But, back to the OP . . . I agree, awesome instruction page!
That would be me...unless it's a nice vault NP or NF toilet I'd prefer to dig a hole. I don't use TP when peeing either...so once a day is all that is needed.

swjohnsey
01-28-2018, 19:52
Poopy rag in Ziploc eliminates unsightly TP. Poop is 100% biodegradeable.

Rain Man
01-28-2018, 20:59
An MSR "snow" stake works fine ... and does double "duty."

Sarcasm the elf
01-28-2018, 21:32
An MSR "snow" stake works fine ... and does double "duty."

Agreed, I use the REI snow stake, and I think you meant "double dooty." :D