PDA

View Full Version : need help with zero degree down bags

A-Train
02-07-2003, 12:35
Hey All,
May seem a little ridiculous that im still looking at sleeping bags three weeks before my hike but i find myself confused. Im starting march 1st and would like to add im NOT a good cold sleeper. This all translated to getting a 0 degree bag to start (I have a 20/30 i can switch to when it warms up). My questions tho is about weight. The two bags im looking at are very similar. One weighs 3 lbs 6 oz the other 3 lbs 8 oz. Is this a ridiculous amount of weight to carry for a bag? I figure if im not warm at night ill be misreble and likely to not want to continue my trip. But others have suggested this is A LOT of weight. I know the HYOH yada yada but i wanna here what you experienced people think.
thanks so much A-Train

Ann
02-07-2003, 13:40
Why not consider a down liner for the 20 degree bag...that will probably get you a 5 degree bag. When it gets a little warmer just send the liner home and regulate the heat with the 20 degree bag, when the you hit the warmer months you can use the liner as a very light sleeping bag.

Here is a link for a Moonstone Liner. I have one. My husband is a cold sleeper and we use it in the Whites early season for him. It weights about 13 oz. (just weighed mine on a digital scale and I'll have to change that to 13.5 oz.) and uses 800 down, packs down to nothing and might be a fairly inexpensive solution.

http://www.epinions.com/otdr-Camping-Sleeping_Bags-All-Moonstone_800_Plus_2_Liner

There is only one caution I'd give:
When you get the liner, put it in the bag you are going to use and see how it is. You don't want the down in the liner to be TOO compressed or the point of it will be essentially lost...you want as much loft as possible for the maximum warmth.

EDIT: Just re-read you post again so I just deleted the first paragraph from my original post. I think I have this right...you have a 20 degree bag presently and were looking to buy a 0 degree, do I have that right??

chris
02-07-2003, 14:03
The weights you note are not outrageous. A top of the line Western Mountaineering down bag, like
the Puma, weighs in at 3 lbs, 1oz for a regular
size and 3 oz. more for the long. This is rated to 0, but a friend of mine took it with no problems into the Himalaya and Karakorum for 3 months with temps down to -40 without difficulty (down jacket added, etc). A 5 degree WM bag (Antelope Super) weighs in at 2 lbs 13 oz for a regular and 2 oz more for a long. WM makes about the lightest, best bags you can get. They also cost. So, a 3 lb 6 or 8 oz 0 degree bag isn't too heavy, assuming that it is a true 0 degree bag.

Dirtyoldman
02-08-2003, 05:52
myself I would just get a good set of expedition weight fleece thermals

Sleepy the Arab
02-09-2003, 01:41
As much as I hate recomending it, check out Backpacker magazine's latest issue/annual gear guide. I don't need much of an excuse to buy another sleeping bag (ya-hoo, more gear!) and one that caught my eye was one put out by Marmot. I think it was called the Lithium (or it might have been the Helium). It was rated quite cold, and, with a fill of 900 strength down (woah!), weighed a little over 2 pounds.

Unfortunately, when talking about a 0 degree bag, that's about as good as it gets. The vast majority weigh in around 3+ pounds.

On the other hand, a tent can double as a big, warm, albeit moisture trapping blanket.....