PDA

View Full Version : possible strategies for tackling the IAT immediately after the AT thru-hike...

longshank
02-10-2006, 12:23
My main concern is the season in which we would be hiking through the IAT....any input on this variable or any other possible concerns will be greatly appreciated...

longshank
02-10-2006, 12:29
I accidentally double-posted this thread...If a mod. could shut one down, that would be great.

Whistler
02-10-2006, 12:32
Sounds like a great idea. I think Cape Gaspe would be a great follow-up to Katahdin. If you spent a full 6 months on the AT... March, April, May, June, July, August... You'd have September and October for the last 600 or so miles. Cold comes earlier up there, but it doesn't sound too bad. Cut the AT hike to 5 months [still only 15 miles a day], and you could hit Canada in the fall.

Nimblewill Nomad might have some info on his site.
-Mark

gargamel
02-10-2006, 15:37
Maybe you wan't to have a look on a hikers page (http://www.svrart.com/ect/index.php) who has done the ECT in 2000. He started up in Canada on the IAT, did the AT and continued his hike down to Florida. If I remember correctly he hiked some time with Nimblewill Nomad and also met Warren Doyle.

dixicritter
02-11-2006, 00:24
I accidentally double-posted this thread...If a mod. could shut one down, that would be great.

Took care of that for ya. :)

PKH
02-11-2006, 17:01
The IAT usually takes six to eight weeks. Expect snow in the Chic Chocs
( Quebec mountains) during October. You should also be aware that there are sections far rougher and wilder than the AT (tamer sections too of course) and always much, much lonelier. The bottom line is, do the IAT as early in the fall as possible.

Cheers,

PKH

JojoSmiley
02-12-2006, 12:04
Also be aware of possible trail closings due to hunting and Caribou rut season n the Chic Chocs. Resupply may be a bit more challenging too. Check out the IAT website.

Jerm
02-12-2006, 13:53
i believe that is what stumpknocker is planning to do this year. you'll have to look for his journal http://www.trailjournals.com/stumpknocker/ when the time comes for his hike. you can also contact him through that webpage.