PDA

View Full Version : Strategic mail drop(s) on the northern part of the AT

Singto
01-30-2018, 13:14
Hi All,

Can anyone make any suggestions about where to make a few strategic mail drops (foods, meds and light gear) in New England to save substantial money? For example: Is there a good place to do a food mail drop before entering the 100 mile wilderness? Or at a traditionally expensive resupply point?

Thank you

swjohnsey
01-30-2018, 14:08
Last stop before 100 mile wilderness, Monson I believe, also last town before the Whites a good place to ship your cold weather gear, has a little post office.

colorado_rob
01-30-2018, 14:11
I used Westcliffe, decent hostel there, just before White Mtns, then Gorham and finally Monson, all these towns have nice hostels and they all accept resupply boxes. Easy Peasy resupply and hostel options up there! But the hiking is another matter......

Singto
01-31-2018, 09:50
Many thanks!

backtrack213
01-31-2018, 10:08
Before the 100 mile wilderness i would send a box to shaws hiker hostel so you dont need to rely on the post office. Can send a box to pinkham notch at the tail end of the whites and a box at hikers welcome hostel in glencliff right before the whites. All of these are right on trail have flexible hours and are available on the weekends to pick up your boxes.

Jeff
01-31-2018, 19:09
I used Westcliffe, decent hostel there, just before White Mtns, then Gorham and finally Monson, all these towns have nice hostels and they all accept resupply boxes. Easy Peasy resupply and hostel options up there! But the hiking is another matter......

Westcliffe???? I think you mean Glencliff. The PO there is open only 2 hours per day so I would only send your box to the nearby hostel called Hikers Welcome.

Jeff
01-31-2018, 19:10

Westcliffe???? I think you mean Glencliff. The PO there is open only 2 hours per day so I would only send your box to the nearby hostel called Hikers Welcome.

colorado_rob
01-31-2018, 19:21
Westcliffe???? I think you mean Glencliff. The PO there is open only 2 hours per day so I would only send your box to the nearby hostel called Hikers Welcome.woops!!!! Westcliffe is a small mountain town in Colorado..... Yep, Hiker Welcome Hostel in Glencliffe....

Starchild
01-31-2018, 20:11
Monson you may want to maildrop some FD or otherwise light weight food for the 100/90 mile trek, other then that there is enough resupply and short stretches.

putts
02-01-2018, 12:24
Even Monson can be an easy resupply if you don't want to ship. The last time I stopped by Shaw's in 2016, They had great resupply options (all of the basics like rice, PB, tortillas, etc..and more. Plus, as far as non food they had fuel, water purification, baggies for individual sale not to mention a nice selection of gear like ULA and HMG packs. The cafe next to Lakeshore House (the name escapes me....Pete's Place?) also has an impressive selection for resupply. They both cater to hikers and know the modern hiker's resupply needs well. The old general store has been bought and completely renovated to something of a more pristine general store where you could probably find a more "Whole Foods" type variety. And of course there is Greenville in roughly the same distance, opposite direction from the trail, where you will find a full supermarket and two outfitters. Hitching to/from Monson, Greenville, and the trailhead is usually as easy as any hitch on the AT, in fact I'll say the easiest from my experience (along with the Medway, Millinocket, Baxter route)

All that being said a maildrop obviously works well too.

Singto
02-02-2018, 00:18
Even Monson can be an easy resupply if you don't want to ship. The last time I stopped by Shaw's in 2016, They had great resupply options (all of the basics like rice, PB, tortillas, etc..and more. Plus, as far as non food they had fuel, water purification, baggies for individual sale not to mention a nice selection of gear like ULA and HMG packs. The cafe next to Lakeshore House (the name escapes me....Pete's Place?) also has an impressive selection for resupply. They both cater to hikers and know the modern hiker's resupply needs well. The old general store has been bought and completely renovated to something of a more pristine general store where you could probably find a more "Whole Foods" type variety. And of course there is Greenville in roughly the same distance, opposite direction from the trail, where you will find a full supermarket and two outfitters. Hitching to/from Monson, Greenville, and the trailhead is usually as easy as any hitch on the AT, in fact I'll say the easiest from my experience (along with the Medway, Millinocket, Baxter route)

All that being said a mail drop obviously works well too.

Thank you for the reply and information. Surely there are convenient resupply points all along the AT but in the north I am concerned about costs in some places. I've watched videos of hikers lamenting about a $35 resupply in the south costing them double or triple in the north. If I can do a few mail drops and save $20+ per drop at select, strategic points, then it is worth it to me. It also facilitates gear changes and medication resupply if needed. I will support businesses along the AT that cater to hikers as much as possible but I won't pay excessive prices because of no other options or just for the sake of supporting such businesses, if I can avoid it. Having options is important to me. Thank you again.

swjohnsey
02-02-2018, 08:58
Many of the resupply points are country/convenience stores. The prices will be high and the selection slim, north or south. You won't end up saving anything by mailing stuff but you will get what you want and you will be able to get hard to find items like lithium batteries. I did about a dozen or so mail drops and a bounce box.

peakbagger
02-02-2018, 11:20

I think Rob meant the Glencliff hostel rather than Westcliffe?

colorado_rob
02-02-2018, 11:31
I think Rob meant the Glencliff hostel rather than Westcliffe?Yep, sorry about that.... brain fart, The hiker Welcome Hostel in Glencliff is a cool little joint to hang for a night, and I'm sure they accept resupply boxes. They do sell a number of items there too.

4eyedbuzzard
02-02-2018, 22:05
... I've watched videos of hikers lamenting about a $35 resupply in the south costing them double or triple in the north....Having lived both in New England and in the south, I think the claims on the videos are greatly exaggerated. Grocery prices are a little higher in the north, but we're talking maybe 20 percent - certainly not double or triple. Maybe they are comparing restaurant meal costs from the AYCE buffet in Hiawassee to the braised lamb shank at Rosemary's in Killington? ;)

fastfoxengineering
02-02-2018, 22:21
Having lived both in New England and in the south, I think the claims on the videos are greatly exaggerated. Grocery prices are a little higher in the north, but we're talking maybe 20 percent - certainly not double or triple. Maybe they are comparing restaurant meal costs from the AYCE buffet in Hiawassee to the braised lamb shank at Rosemary's in Killington? ;)I would agree.

I mean where I shop in NH instant mashed potatoes and Knorrs rice sides can be had for 60¢ to $1.50 depending on what brand you get.

I buy idahoan mashed potatoes routinely for a $1 a packet.

Ramen packets are typically 5 for $1.

King size Snickers are $1.50

99¢ pint cans of soda

Tuna packets a little over a $1

I typically avoid this kind of hiker food nowadays but is it really cheaper than that down south?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Singto
02-03-2018, 01:04
I would agree.

I mean where I shop in NH instant mashed potatoes and Knorrs rice sides can be had for 60¢ to $1.50 depending on what brand you get.

I buy idahoan mashed potatoes routinely for a $1 a packet.

Ramen packets are typically 5 for $1.

King size Snickers are $1.50

99¢ pint cans of soda

Tuna packets a little over a $1

I typically avoid this kind of hiker food nowadays but is it really cheaper than that down south?

Thank you and 4eyedbuzzard for your input.

Where you shop may not be accessible to hikers or reflect prices that hikers pay at the traditional resupply points. My concern isn't just from one or two vlogger videos but from watching many over the past 3 years. It seemed to me that New England being noticeably more expensive (resupply and other) than the south is mentioned often and if there are practical ways to mitigate that somewhat, it would be nice. Tips on where to shop/not shop and strategic mail drops as opposed to regular mail drops is the approach I was thinking. Maybe there only one or two places that are practical/economical for a mail drop but maybe there are several or really none. Saving even just $5 at each stop every 3-4 days for resupply adds up quite quickly. Ultimately, if I am fortunate to get that far (starting in Harpers) I'll do whatever is necessary to enjoy the hike. I received a private message with some strategies to mitigate some costs in New England but that focused mostly on a different element of the hike. Any other ideas are appreciated. Thank you all again.

fastfoxengineering
02-03-2018, 02:43

Where you shop may not be accessible to hikers or reflect prices that hikers pay at the traditional resupply points. My concern isn't just from one or two vlogger videos but from watching many over the past 3 years. It seemed to me that New England being noticeably more expensive (resupply and other) than the south is mentioned often and if there are practical ways to mitigate that somewhat, it would be nice. Tips on where to shop/not shop and strategic mail drops as opposed to regular mail drops is the approach I was thinking. Maybe there only one or two places that are practical/economical for a mail drop but maybe there are several or really none. Saving even just $5 at each stop every 3-4 days for resupply adds up quite quickly. Ultimately, if I am fortunate to get that far (starting in Harpers) I'll do whatever is necessary to enjoy the hike. I received a private message with some strategies to mitigate some costs in New England but that focused mostly on a different element of the hike. Any other ideas are appreciated. Thank you all again.Price Chopper in Lincoln NH. Not far from the the Notch Hostel.

fastfoxengineering
02-03-2018, 03:47
Furthermore, saving $5-$10 at each resupply does add up to a little chunk of change.

But, in reality, does it really add up to more than $100? That would be ten resupplies at the max end of things.

Furthermore, would it not cost more than $100 to ship those heavy mail drops via USPS?

Maybe the general consensus is that resupply items are more expensive in the north. But using mail drops does not save you money. If you make that happen. It's not a lot of money. And there are disadvantages to using mail drops that should be considered.

Mail drops take some flexibility out of your hike. You may have to go out if your way to get that mail drop. Location and time wise. You may also not want any food in that box by the time you get there. Appetites can greatly change.

I have not hiked the AT. However, the experienced AT thru hikers I reference all recommend mail drops only if you have dietary needs.

colorado_rob
02-03-2018, 08:41
Despite the nay sayers, if you buy in bulk, and have settled through long experience on what you like, it is easy to save money and create great convenience using mail drops.

I'm cheap, scottish and retired on a very modest fixed income, believe me, i wouldnt use drops if they didn't save money. Ive done it the "normal" way many times, and I know drops save $$$. We're big costco nerds, and freeze dried food bulk buyers, 50% cheaper than our local supermarkets. No brainer.

4eyedbuzzard
02-03-2018, 12:26

Where you shop may not be accessible to hikers or reflect prices that hikers pay at the traditional resupply points. My concern isn't just from one or two vlogger videos but from watching many over the past 3 years. It seemed to me that New England being noticeably more expensive (resupply and other) than the south is mentioned often and if there are practical ways to mitigate that somewhat, it would be nice. Tips on where to shop/not shop and strategic mail drops as opposed to regular mail drops is the approach I was thinking. Maybe there only one or two places that are practical/economical for a mail drop but maybe there are several or really none. Saving even just $5 at each stop every 3-4 days for resupply adds up quite quickly. Ultimately, if I am fortunate to get that far (starting in Harpers) I'll do whatever is necessary to enjoy the hike. I received a private message with some strategies to mitigate some costs in New England but that focused mostly on a different element of the hike. Any other ideas are appreciated. Thank you all again.

I'll focus on my neck of the woods (VT and NH). Perhaps others here from CT, MA, and ME can add for those areas.

The major drivers of higher prices experienced by hikers in New England vs the south tend to be restaurant meals and lodging costs, not grocery prices. And the logistics in New England are different due to towns being a little further apart and further from the trail. But at major towns there are many major supermarket chains with competitive prices. Note the presence of Wal-mart at many towns. If Wal-mart pricing isn't cheap enough, well, I just don't know what to suggest. Yes, you have to hitch a few miles more to not buy at the nearest / first convenience store or mini-mart you come to at road crossings. You might have to even carry 5 days food in some instances :eek: The trail doesn't go right through many towns in VT or NH (Norwich VT / Hanover, NH excepted). Hitching in VT and NH while wearing a backpack is very common around towns near the AT, and even the locals who wouldn't stop for a hitchhiker under "normal" conditions will give rides to hikers - and many will often go out of their way to take a hiker right to the store and maybe even back to the trail! There are also several food co-ops in many places, health food, and upscale grocers as well for those with dietary preferences not fulfilled by mainstream grocers. Hikers can "google" such stuff on their own. But the notion that you can't shop for food/resupply items on a normal budget in New England is honestly absurd:

Bennington, VT (MA border) - Wal-Mart, Price Chopper, Aldi, Hannaford

+40 trail miles to

Manchester Center, VT - Shaws, Price Chopper

+50 trail miles to

Rutland, VT - Wal-mart, Hannaford, Aldi, Price Chopper

+45-50 trail miles to

Norwich, VT/Hanover, NH - Dan and Whits, Co-op Community Market, Hanover Food co-op, several others - Norwich PO is a really good mail drop BTW - right on the trail, but there is a lot of resupply available here as well.
and
West Lebanon, NH (just south of Hanover - take free shuttle bus from Dartmouth College in Hanover to West Lebanon) - Wal-mart, Shaws, Price Chopper, Hannaford, LL Bean, REI.

+70 trail miles to (yes, you may have to spend a few extra $ for a day or two extra food at Wentworth, Warren, or Glencliff, or better yet just hitch to and back from N. Woodstock)

North Woodstock, NH - Price Chopper, Waynes (conv store)

+30 trail miles to

Bartlett, NH - Grants Supermarket, Bart's Deli (both limited and a bit more expensive),

+50 trail miles to (this is a tough section, but also where using AMC huts/meals, shuttling, etc, can reduce the need to carry a large load of food; also there is limited resupply at Pinkham Notch)

Gorham, NH - Wal-Mart, Save-A-Lot, EMS (North Conway)

Deacon
02-03-2018, 12:49
Despite the nay sayers, if you buy in bulk, and have settled through long experience on what you like, it is easy to save money and create great convenience using mail drops.

I'm cheap, scottish and retired on a very modest fixed income, believe me, i wouldnt use drops if they didn't save money. Ive done it the "normal" way many times, and I know drops save $$$. We're big costco nerds, and freeze dried food bulk buyers, 50% cheaper than our local supermarkets. No brainer.

Walmart online has a gallon size can of whole freeze dried raspberries for $39.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms-Freeze-Dried-Whole-Raspberries-8-oz-No-10-Can/22001488

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Singto
02-03-2018, 23:18
I'll focus on my neck of the woods (VT and NH). Perhaps others here from CT, MA, and ME can add for those areas.

The major drivers of higher prices experienced by hikers in New England vs the south tend to be restaurant meals and lodging costs, not grocery prices. And the logistics in New England are different due to towns being a little further apart and further from the trail. But at major towns there are many major supermarket chains with competitive prices. Note the presence of Wal-mart at many towns. If Wal-mart pricing isn't cheap enough, well, I just don't know what to suggest. Yes, you have to hitch a few miles more to not buy at the nearest / first convenience store or mini-mart you come to at road crossings. You might have to even carry 5 days food in some instances :eek: The trail doesn't go right through many towns in VT or NH (Norwich VT / Hanover, NH excepted). Hitching in VT and NH while wearing a backpack is very common around towns near the AT, and even the locals who wouldn't stop for a hitchhiker under "normal" conditions will give rides to hikers - and many will often go out of their way to take a hiker right to the store and maybe even back to the trail! There are also several food co-ops in many places, health food, and upscale grocers as well for those with dietary preferences not fulfilled by mainstream grocers. Hikers can "google" such stuff on their own. But the notion that you can't shop for food/resupply items on a normal budget in New England is honestly absurd:

Bennington, VT (MA border) - Wal-Mart, Price Chopper, Aldi, Hannaford

+40 trail miles to

Manchester Center, VT - Shaws, Price Chopper

+50 trail miles to

Rutland, VT - Wal-mart, Hannaford, Aldi, Price Chopper

+45-50 trail miles to

Norwich, VT/Hanover, NH - Dan and Whits, Co-op Community Market, Hanover Food co-op, several others - Norwich PO is a really good mail drop BTW - right on the trail, but there is a lot of resupply available here as well.
and
West Lebanon, NH (just south of Hanover - take free shuttle bus from Dartmouth College in Hanover to West Lebanon) - Wal-mart, Shaws, Price Chopper, Hannaford, LL Bean, REI.

+70 trail miles to (yes, you may have to spend a few extra $ for a day or two extra food at Wentworth, Warren, or Glencliff, or better yet just hitch to and back from N. Woodstock)

North Woodstock, NH - Price Chopper, Waynes (conv store)

+30 trail miles to

Bartlett, NH - Grants Supermarket, Bart's Deli (both limited and a bit more expensive),

+50 trail miles to (this is a tough section, but also where using AMC huts/meals, shuttling, etc, can reduce the need to carry a large load of food; also there is limited resupply at Pinkham Notch)

Gorham, NH - Wal-Mart, Save-A-Lot, EMS (North Conway)

Thank you for the insightful post, much appreciated.