PDA

View Full Version : Pack Rain covers

tawa
01-30-2018, 19:40
Recently purchased a new Osprey Exos 58 pack, Now need a rain cover for it.
My question is--would you spend more by getting one that is specific to this Osprey pack or would you just look for pretty much any rain cover at a reduced price?
Is there really all that much difference in the quality or material they use?

Elaikases
01-30-2018, 19:45
My question is--would you spend more by getting one that is specific to this Osprey pack or would you just look for pretty much any rain cover at a reduced price?

I like the Osprey cover. The quality is good, it is lighter than some, and competitive with the REI covers. My wife has an Osprey cover even though she doesn't have an Osprey pack.

moldy
01-30-2018, 19:49
Either way will work fine. If you do go to a store to purchase one. Pack your pack and bring it with you so you can try them out for fit.

Rex Clifton
01-30-2018, 19:51
Pack covers are a waste, they won’t keep your pack dry in anything harder than a drizzle. The water is gonna run down your back and soak the pack from behind. Line your pack with a compactor bag instead, or use a rain poncho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Coffee
01-30-2018, 20:34
I use a compactor bag as a liner in my ULA Circuit and a zPacks rain cover. The reason for the rain cover is to avoid the pack becoming totally waterlogged which makes it heavier and a sopping mess if I want to keep it in my tent.

Slo-go'en
01-30-2018, 21:09
I use a compactor bag as a liner in my ULA Circuit and a zPacks rain cover. The reason for the rain cover is to avoid the pack becoming totally waterlogged which makes it heavier and a sopping mess if I want to keep it in my tent.

Yep, pack cover can definitely help keep the pack from becoming water logged. The cover also provides a place to unload gear onto when the ground is wet. It also helps to keep water out of the pack when it decides to start to shower about midnight and your mostly empty pack is outside.

Eastern Adventures
01-30-2018, 21:11
Second on the rain poncho comment; I use the Cuben Fiber rain poncho from MLD. Covers the pack and provides good protection from the rain. Unless you're getting torrential downpours on the regular, or spending a lot of time off the trail in heavy bush, I'd highly recommend it.

First post btw... sup :dance

saltysack
01-30-2018, 22:54
Pack covers are a waste, they won’t keep your pack dry in anything harder than a drizzle. The water is gonna run down your back and soak the pack from behind. Line your pack with a compactor bag instead, or use a rain poncho.

+1....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilman
01-30-2018, 23:25

I had an Exos 58 and started out with a generic rain cover. I think it was Sea to Summit. I didn't like the way it fit. Switched to a Osprey and was very happy with it. I don't think there was much difference in weight, just price. Still have the rain cover. Don't have the pack.

gbolt
01-30-2018, 23:27
The Pack Cover made for the specific Pack, usually fits a little better. However, Other Pack covers allow you to choose color, material and ultimately the weight of the pack cover. Of course, all of this is figured into the price. If weight is your biggest factor, look at Dutchware.com or Z Packs. I went with Dutch for my ULA Ohm 2.0 because it was actually cheaper and lighter than the ULA Options. Plus, I chose Blaze Orange for Hunting season. I previously had a Camo Cover that I sold quickly after posting it. You could say the Camo really dissappeared. Back to your question, yes materials are different and weigh different so make sure you compare. I found that cheaper actually was better for me, because I am sure the material was scrape material from tarps, repurposed for another use. Sorry I am wordy!

swjohnsey
01-31-2018, 09:00
Pack covers have their place. Zpac makes some cuben ones that are reasonably priced and very light and compact. Make sure you secure the cover to the pack or the tree branches will remove it for you.

Two more miles
01-31-2018, 10:10
If you get one built for your pack it may not cover well if you have anything on the outside of it. I went bigger to cover my sleep pad and other items that are not in my pack. Plan on your stuff getting wet without a liner.

Vanhalo
01-31-2018, 10:27
Yep, pack cover can definitely help keep the pack from becoming water logged. The cover also provides a place to unload gear onto when the ground is wet. It also helps to keep water out of the pack when it decides to start to shower about midnight and your mostly empty pack is outside.

as slo-go'en said .....multi-purpose it.

colorado_rob
01-31-2018, 10:32
I use a compactor bag as a liner in my ULA Circuit and a zPacks rain cover. The reason for the rain cover is to avoid the pack becoming totally waterlogged which makes it heavier and a sopping mess if I want to keep it in my tent. Yep, this. Unless you have a cuben fiber pack, get an appropriate sized zpacks Cuben pack cover, ultralight, first line of rain defense, and use that liner to keep pack contents dry.

SouthMark
01-31-2018, 10:47
... or just get a Packa that protects the entire pack including shoulder straps and hip belt and is also your rain gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don H
01-31-2018, 11:07
I figured since I'm carrying stuff sacks anyway I might as well buy waterproof ones (Sea to Summit UL dry bags).
One each for food, sleeping bag and clothes. My stuff stays dry.

MtDoraDave
01-31-2018, 11:51
I have tried using a generic Walmart pack cover, and it was almost worthless.
I like the concept of the packa.
Last June, in warm weather, I used my frogg togg jacket over my pack so the pack didn't get water logged. I wasn't worried about myself getting wet; I wear quick dry clothing and again, the weather was warm - no danger of hypothermia.
I draped it over the pack and tied the arms around the pack, then put the hood over my head after I put the backpack on again.
If the weather turns cold, I use the Toggs as my outer layer... I like multitasking equipment if possible. Sometimes I've even worn the Toggs as a rain suit! Lol
This probably violates ultralight ideology, but I try to keep everything that NEEDS to stay dry in a waterproof bag inside the backpack, so keeping the pack itself dry is not imperative.
I've seen lots of hikers use trash compactor bags as pack liners.
I've been told that the roll top Hyperlite packs are completely waterproof...
Eventually, if you're out during a multiple day rain event, everything will be wet or damp anyway. Try to have enough layers to survive if it's cold.

Feral Bill
01-31-2018, 12:35
In 50 years of backpacking in all kinds of weather I have never used a pack cover, or missed having one. I use a poncho, or now, a Packa. Things that must stay dry get bagged up.

JoeVogel
01-31-2018, 13:17
yes, I agree with a lot of other people. Rain covers don't work that well. Use a poncho for real hard rain.

Turtle-2013
01-31-2018, 13:56
In 50 years of backpacking in all kinds of weather I have never used a pack cover, or missed having one. I use a poncho, or now, a Packa. Things that must stay dry get bagged up.
ditto (on the 50 yrs and no cover) ... my pack is waterproofed ... personally I wouldn't buy a pack that needed a cover. I do use waterproof bags internally, but mostly that is for unloading and not having to worry about wet ground....

putts
01-31-2018, 16:18
I'm that guy with a big black compactor bag with 2 slits cut out for straps, and 2 little slits for the belt (and duct tape at the end of each slit.) I don't do it because I'm frugal, or because I'm fashionable or the opposite. I do it because it absolutely work best for me. I have owned pack covers before, but ultimately my trash bag is preferred - meaning I wouldn't use a pack cover if you bought it for me. I've never used a Packa though so if you're buying I'll try it. ...As far as my trash bag pack cover: The weight - No idea, Material - 3 mil, The cost - I dunno 45 cents?, Durability - replaced 3 times over the course of a thru hike. I'm not saying anybody should do it my way, it's just what works for me.

reppans
01-31-2018, 17:05
I use my mid tent.... it multi-tasks as rain cape/pack cover, among other things.

swisscross
01-31-2018, 17:07
I saw a neat pack cover that converted into a hammock chair on Dutch's site.

Elaikases
01-31-2018, 21:14

On packs that suspend (like the Osprey) they do very well in the rain. Heck, the Baltero (which is too heavy) handles a solid rain with a pack cover and not getting wet.

That said, I use waterproof dry sacks too. So if the pack covers fail I'm still dry. I used to use a compactor or heavy duty trash sack on the inside. But I like having the outside of the pack dry.

Bansko
03-21-2018, 16:06
I like Osprey's pack covers and have used them on other packs. Pack covers help, and I prefer them over no cover in the rain.

Dogwood
03-21-2018, 16:16

Can be. Depends on what you're comparing.

Either way will work fine. If you do go to a store to purchase one. Pack your pack and bring it with you so you can try them out for fit.
Good advice.

Dogwood
03-21-2018, 16:25

All good pts. Applying a DWR or WPing agent to an Osprey Exos 58 can do much the same from keeping a pack from becoming waterlogged with less wt and need for keeping track of another gear piece.