PDA

View Full Version : The White Mountains in late April?

drastic_quench
02-01-2018, 12:00
I've got a week and a half at the end of April, and I thought a couple of challenging loops in the Whites, like the Pemi Loop, would be a good adventure. I've read a few articles like this one, https://sectionhiker.com/spring-hiking-conditions-in-the-white-mountains/ and I wondered who's tackled the Whites at this time of year?

peakbagger
02-01-2018, 12:35
I live in the whites and have since 1988. I also year round hike. The short answer is dont expect to do much hiking in the whites in late april. I have hiked with Phil from Section Hiker and he also a is four season hiker. I used to build boats and April was usually my most productive month as the snow conditions were so variable hiking was frequently not an option.

Things vary from year to year but April is typically regarded as the toughest month of the year for hiking due to variable snow pack and snow conditions. Generally the issue is the sun has melted off the exposed ridge lines but the softwood wood just below treeline are still retaining snow, sometimes very deep snow. The snow that time of year is "rotting" where the daily variation between cold nights and warm days melts and refreezes the snow pack. The areas of trail where people have hiked all winter is less prone to this as the trail is essentially a lump of ice. What may be a good wide trail bed in the morning after a cold night can turn into the dreaded "monorail" in the afternoon. I have had to bail mid day on hikes due to the monorails as no equipment works, the top of the monorail is not flat it tends to tilt to the sides so snow shoes, even alpine ones just dont have enough width. Switch to crampons and snow can be soft enough to posthole. Even if it inst, frequently the top layer is wet and it packs into the crampons to form lumps on the bottom of my feet. Stepping off the side of the monorail sounds like an option but frequently the snow is rotten and postholing even with snow shoes is possible.

River and stream crossings can really suck if you happen to catch a warm stretch when spring run off can kick in.

The Pemi Loop could be quite a challenge due to snow below the exposed sections of ridgeline and in the trails running down to the valleys. It could be slow going.

The only thing that can really change things is an extended spell of early season warmth but generally snow will still stick around a long time in the shade until the sun angles get higher and the day longer. For several years while sectioning I did sections in PA, NY, NJ, VA in April, its ahead of the thru hiker bubble.

drastic_quench
02-01-2018, 13:03
Thanks for the reply, and damn, that's what I was afraid of - - and why I thought to ask!

I might take it relatively easy and go with the Shenandoah for that time of year.

nsherry61
02-01-2018, 13:09
. . . I might take it relatively easy and go with the Shenandoah for that time of year.
Grand Canyon! It's perfect in April.

earlylight
02-01-2018, 13:10
Here's a trip I did in the White in late April of last year. In hindsight, it was probably stupid to do it solo. Lots of snow left.
https://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-the-livermore-loop/

I'm heading south to section hike the AT in April this year. If you do try the Whites in April, stay under 3000 feet and try the southern sections.

peakbagger
02-01-2018, 14:10
I did SNP long ago in early April. The trail was pretty close to deserted. Very few amenities open but nice hiking. I also did the Blue Ridge parkway south of SNP starting April ist one year. Definitely a bit cooler than we planned. The trail was deserted, we usually had shelters to ourselves. Plenty of firewood that had blown off trees during the winter.

colorado_rob
02-01-2018, 14:28
Grand Canyon! It's perfect in April. Well, it's even more perfect in February! (heading down for a week....) April is pretty darn crowded in the GC, March is worse.

And I agree on Shenandoah in April, we're heading there then as well.