PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Merino Socks?

thomas-carney
02-02-2018, 04:56
For years, I've been a big fan of merino wool for socks as well as base layers.

Currently, I'm mainly wearing Darn Tough merino socks for hikes as well as some 100% merino socks for around camp, sleeping in sleeping bag, etc as they are softer than the poly/wool blends from Darn Tough.

I'd love to hear if you have any other recommendations?

fastfoxengineering
02-02-2018, 05:43
For years, I've been a big fan of merino wool for socks as well as base layers.

Currently, I'm mainly wearing Darn Tough merino socks for hikes as well as some 100% merino socks for around camp, sleeping in sleeping bag, etc as they are softer than the poly/wool blends from Darn Tough.

I'd love to hear if you have any other recommendations?I got some possumdown socks and they replaced my wool sleep socks. I like them more.

I would say Point Six is comparable to Darn Tough.

Darn Toughs have performed so well for me I don't see a reason to switch. I wear them everyday.

In the summer I've been using wigwam ironman synthetics socks to hike in. They dry faster and handle heat better than my darn toughs

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

thomas-carney
02-02-2018, 07:11
Thanks, I"ll check out the possumdown socks!

bigcranky
02-02-2018, 08:18
Darn Tough is the best. I wear them hiking and for daily use.

AllDownhillFromHere
02-02-2018, 09:18
I find Smartwool more comfortable than Darn Tough, but looking at the material, I believe the DTs will outlast the Smartwool.

tiptoe
02-02-2018, 09:32
I wear Darn Tough socks all the time, too, at least in cold weather. If they wear out, the company will replace them (see the website for details).

DownEaster
02-02-2018, 11:25
I might be going to excess for warmth and comfort, but I've got some extra-thick merino wool socks (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88701?attrValue_0=Blue%20Aster/Quarry%20Gray&csp=a) for camp/sleeping, from L.L. Bean. Very soft, very warm, and not overly constricting. (For some reason, thick socks like this are usually of ragg construction: a weave of 1 undyed thread for each 2 dyed threads.) Darn Tough hiker micro crew cushion for hiking. The pair of ragg wool socks are about an ounce heavier than one of the Darn Tough pairs.

Feral Bill
02-02-2018, 13:24
The Costco "dumb wools" are comfortable, and are cheap at $12/4 pair. They won't last as long as the name brands though.

thomas-carney
02-03-2018, 05:57
Yes, I've heard that CostCo wool socks are pretty good value if a little less long-lived.

soumodeler
02-03-2018, 09:23
I wear Darn Toughs every day. Love them!

devoidapop
02-03-2018, 12:00
oh the pain of losing a good merino sock to the laundry gremlins...

Deacon
02-03-2018, 12:30
Don’t forget Darn Tough’s lifetime guarantee. I worn a hole in a pair of Darn Tough wool boot socks on my LT thru, filled out the form on their website, and they sent me a new pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fastfoxengineering
02-03-2018, 17:08
Don’t forget Darn Tough’s lifetime guarantee. I worn a hole in a pair of Darn Tough wool boot socks on my LT thru, filled out the form on their website, and they sent me a new pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Their warranty is too generous. And I imagine it's going to change after how popular they have become over the past few seasons. Only time will tell.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Rain Man
02-03-2018, 17:28
Bridgedale. Love 'em. Also like Darn Tough and Costco's.

DownEaster
02-03-2018, 18:26
Their warranty is too generous. And I imagine it's going to change after how popular they have become over the past few seasons. Only time will tell.
I don't think they'll change their warranty. It takes a lot of work to wear out their socks, and most buyers aren't going to make that investment of effort. The price (roughly $20 each pair) I'm sure includes a fair bit for warranty replacements.

grubbster
02-03-2018, 18:31
I don't think they'll change their warranty. It takes a lot of work to wear out their socks, and most buyers aren't going to make that investment of effort. The price (roughly $20 each pair) I'm sure includes a fair bit for warranty replacements.
This. They could sell those socks for half the price and still make a profit. They are great sock though.

KCNC
02-03-2018, 18:34

My theory is that they have an arrangement with appliance manufacturers to insure at least one sock gets eaten by the dryer after a specified number of launderings. :banana

I've got a couple of pairs of Darn Tough and they are nice socks for everyday wear, but they're not as comfortable for me after sustained walking. I've found that Farm To Feet (made in NC vs Vermont, also of USA materials, also with a lifetime guarantee) fit my feet and my stride better.

My son perceives no difference in the two and my wife prefers SmartWool over Farm To Feet.

I suggest getting a pair from a couple of other manufacturers and see what works best for you, they're all exceptional products in my experience.

peakbagger
02-03-2018, 18:44
I am a Darn Tough fan also. Be aware they make numerous different models in different blend and thickness. I tend to use the heavier weight socks to give a bt of extra cushioning on my trail runners. They also produce socks for the US military along with a couple of other companies. I have run into a few military forums discussing the best socks for front line use and the consensus seems to be grab the darn toughs if they are available. I have picked up bags of their military socks at the factory sale in past years and the military versions usually have a bit more synthetic fibers in the blend. I think they are tad more durable. I have worn out two pairs of their seconds (that used to be covered by the free replacement guarantee but no longer) in around 10 years of daily use.

Darn Tough makes private label socks for other retailers. Darn Tuff is a trade mark for Cabot Hosiery Mills and some of the Cabot Socks are identical to Darn Tough trademarked socks. Their claim to fame is all their socks are made in Northfield Vermont. The only bummer is that they dont have a factory outlet at the factory. They have factory sale most years but its in late fall for only a couple of weekends.

tiptoe
02-03-2018, 18:49
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Y-PN_duno

peakbagger
02-03-2018, 18:52
This. They could sell those socks for half the price and still make a profit. They are great sock though.

The price of socks at the factory sale were usually 50% off. The seconds would be less and the singles were even cheaper. The singles table is amusing, they have cases of single socks of all sizes and colors that get dumped into piles on the table, they have several long tables and the public lines up along the front where they reach into the piles and try to find a like colored pair. Not my idea of fun but folks are lined up two or three deep.

grubbster
02-03-2018, 22:45
Darn Tough makes private label socks for other retailers. Darn Tuff is a trade mark for Cabot Hosiery Mills and some of the Cabot Socks are identical to Darn Tough trademarked socks. Their claim to fame is all their socks are made in Northfield Vermont. The only bummer is that they dont have a factory outlet at the factory. They have factory sale most years but its in late fall for only a couple of weekends.
I used to work in Northfield Vt right next to the Cabot factory. Unfortunately that was before they had the Darn Tough line. Did get some nice socks from their annual sale though.

Tipi Walter
02-03-2018, 22:52
About 15 years ago I went thru the whole Bridgedale and Thorlo phase and then I discovered smartwool mountaineer socks---the thickest they make I think. Love em, use them all year round in my 3 season Asolo boots or my full leather zamberlan winter boots.

In fact I got a new pair for Christmas and took them out on my last January trip as pictured---always take two pair---one for hiking and one for sleeping, therefore one pair always stays dry.