PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Player?

Sailor (The other one)
02-02-2018, 08:47
I need suggestions for a simple music player for our AT trip this spring. We don't have or want a smart phone. Too expensive. And I am pretty much ignorant about small media players. Just want something I can upload music to and use a set of ear buds with. AA battery-powered preferred. AT rain, mud, shock proof would be nice. I typed "MP3" player in Ebay and was completely confused.
Thanks.

swjohnsey
02-02-2018, 08:51
Most MP3 players have internal batteries that are recharged from computer/USB port. I found one that used a single battery I think it was Sandisk. You can sometimes find obsolete stuff on ebay.

tarditi
02-02-2018, 10:02
Sony has an MP3 player (still called the Walkman) - how much are you looking to spend?
What features do you want?
Storage capacity?
Weather resistance?
Form factor?
That's what will drive price point

Tennessee Viking
02-02-2018, 10:11
Most people have switched over to cell phones.

Apple used to have the Shuffle and Nano; a very simplisitic but overpriced MP3 player, but looks like they are now only concentrating on the iPOD Touch now. It would be a backup to a cell phone/camera though.
SANDisk tends to be the best non-iPod solution.

Time Zone
02-02-2018, 10:54
I need suggestions for a simple music player for our AT trip this spring. We don't have or want a smart phone. Too expensive. And I am pretty much ignorant about small media players. Just want something I can upload music to and use a set of ear buds with. AA battery-powered preferred. AT rain, mud, shock proof would be nice. I typed "MP3" player in Ebay and was completely confused.
Thanks.

I'm with you in spirit about standard (& replaceable) batteries, but I think that ship has sailed long ago. Even when MP3 players had such batteries, they tended to be AAA powered (not AA), like the Sansa M200 series (I had the M230; one of my kids had the m240). You can see if you can pick up a working one on ebay, but they don't last forever even with fresh batteries. Walmart used to have some old style MP3 players like this (RCA brand, e.g.) but I think even they don't carry them anymore. You could check.

If standard batteries are super important to you, here's an out-of-the box idea: consider getting a light, AAA-powered voice recorder (a little googling - one example is the Olympus WS-852, 2.7 oz with 2 AAA batteries). These voice recorders often have a stereo headphone port, plus a microSD card slot - you can load music, podcasts, e-books, whatever, onto a microsd card and stick it in there. Note, however, these are optimized for voice, not music, so sound quality may be sub-par.

Another idea: The TASCAM DR-05 - uses 2 AA batteries, and is excellent for music (that's what I use it for). But it is a bit heavy to take on the trail, at 6 oz with 2 AA batteries. I suspect that's more than a lot of smartphones, and you could probably find one cheap (used or new), never activate it - just use as a player or in wifi mode when desired. I suspect it would probably be more rugged than the DR-05. It would also likely provide you a camera, perhaps also other helpful features (light/compass/GPS?). Recharge in towns and/or via power bank.

I have a Sansa Clip Plus; it's tiny and light, takes microSD and gets FM radio. But I'd recommend tuning into nature, rather than music, on the trail. Still, HYOH, ... if music floats your boat, go for it.

All that said, I know of no product, even with internal, nonreplaceable battery, that is rain proof, mud proof, or shock proof.

Time Zone
02-02-2018, 10:56
to be clear, I used the DR-05 for recording acoustic music, not as an MP3 player per se.

TexasBob
02-02-2018, 12:11
I have just what you are looking for - a Sandisk M250. Runs on a AAA battery but is not waterproof etc. I haven't used it in years but it still works. I don't have the manual or the cable to connect to your computer so you can load music. The manual is online and you can get a new cable pretty cheap I think. Send me a private message and I will mail it you.

Slo-go'en
02-02-2018, 14:12
Here's one which runs on a AAA battery and has FM radio and only costs $9.00 shipped from NJ. Only 8 available, better order right away!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-USB-MP3-Music-Player-Digital-LCD-Support-32GB-W-FM-Radio-Earphone-BL/263365994735?hash=item3d51d628ef:m:mPyjHYYtDDyr6Ju AE2d_9yQ

Sailor (The other one)
02-02-2018, 14:59
Thanks everyone. I'm taking TexasBob up on his generous offer.