PDA

View Full Version : Safe parking south of Waynesboro

Wandernweg
02-05-2018, 09:36
Looking for a safe trail head to leave a vehicle during a Spring Break section hike.

I typically hike GA/NC/TN area because it is close to home, but this year I don’t feel like contributing to impact of the Nobo’s starting. Was thinking of Waynesboro/Central VA area. I typically hike 140-160 miles in a 9 day break, so a finish in Waynesboro puts me starting at Troutville. Are there any safe places to leave my truck south of Waynesboro so that I could shift the start southward enough to include Dragon’s Tooth?

Thanks!

Gambit McCrae
02-05-2018, 09:53
IMO, Park at 4pines hostel, safe as your gunna get. Get Joe to drive you to the south end of Dragons tooth, VA620 Trout Creek, and hike northbound to Waynesboro, VA. By leaving your car at the beginning of your hike, it allows you the freedom of walking as far as you wish, without limitations of where your car is in relation to the trip. I have done this for dozens of trips and it always works out very well. It requires good communication with your shuttle driver.

Wandernweg
02-07-2018, 06:56
Thanks for the option, as that is a hostel I am not familiar with. I may also give Crab Tree Falls Campground a call since it is right at the base of the Priest.