PDA

View Full Version : Section hike from Harper's Ferry

pslates
02-05-2018, 14:51
I am looking to do a section hike in early April from Harper's Ferry for about five days and trying to learn which direction would be the most interesting hike. Would it be best to hike from town either north or south or be transported either north or south to hike back to Harper's. It does not matter which route would be the hardest or easiest I am just wonder if the MD or VA would be most interesting. I would do at least 15 miles day but plan on making lots of stops for photos of interesting things along the way.

moldy
02-05-2018, 16:49
I would hike North from Harpers Ferry to Duncannon Pa. Park at the Doyle hotel and get a shuttle back to HF.

chknfngrs
02-05-2018, 17:26
Either direction. You can’t lose. Either direction you get the Appalachian Trail.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2018, 17:39
Going south is definitely harder, but you should be able to make Front Royal in 5 days. I guess the highlight of this stretch is Sky Meadow state park. And of course, the roller coaster - 18 miles of little 500 to 700 foot climbs and descents, one right after the other. At least the Bears Den hostel is about 2/3ds the way through the coaster.

About the only thing interesting going north is the milk Bottle Washington Monument. A couple of vistas here and there.

Elaikases
02-05-2018, 19:25
I would hike North from Harpers Ferry to Duncannon Pa. Park at the Doyle hotel and get a shuttle back to HF.

Can't beat that. Pleasant start, some incredible shelters (with competing maintenance -- I mean rocking chairs, seasonal potted plants, snoring and non snoring separate sleeping areas, the works).

And you stop before the rock sstart.

Shrewd
02-06-2018, 10:22
I’d say north, I remember finding the trail north of there more pleasant and entertaining. It’s easier, but also goes through a few historical parks or smaller monuments that I enjoyed; broke up the monotony.

There are a few great views and one stretch where you can head off trail and be on a huge ridge (I remember my lunch there fondly).

Aside from that there’s a lot of woods in either direction :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Femadog
02-06-2018, 11:13
I did the same hike last April going south and enjoyed it. The roller coaster wasn't that bad. The climb up to Tom Floyd was tough at the end of a long day but the Shenendoah section after that was great. Depending on you mileage, you might get to Elkwallow in 5 days.

tagg
02-06-2018, 12:14
I did a section from the north end of SNP to Duncannon about six months ago, and I found the trail north of Harpers Ferry to be more interesting than the trail south. It seemed like there was more to look at overall.

Coffee
02-06-2018, 12:35
Going north would be easier, going south would be more scenic, in my opinion. Both directions are great hikes.

TX Aggie
02-06-2018, 13:09
If you’re a history buff, definitely go north. The Maryland AT doesn’t have much, but the history through that part of the Trail is some of the best on the entire AT. You’ll even pass the first Washington Monument. Depending on your speed, you should easily end up near Gettysburg if you want a detour on your way back to HF.

2NewKnees
02-07-2018, 21:29
How would the trail be in late March to do this section? I have some time off then and was thinking about hitting HF to visit the ATC this year and hike 5-7 days.

TX Aggie
02-07-2018, 22:27
How would the trail be in late March to do this section? I have some time off then and was thinking about hitting HF to visit the ATC this year and hike 5-7 days.

It might be a bit slick and muddy, but shouldn’t have any snow and little ice, at least in the Maryland section.

Singto
02-08-2018, 05:41
I'm looking forward to starting my Flip Flop out of HF at the end of April, heading north.