PDA

View Full Version : New pack needed

Two more miles
02-05-2018, 16:36
I'm looking for a new pack. Presently I have a Alps Caldera 4500 (at 5lb 14oz). I like the pack but have a problem with the hip belt not staying tight and have replaced the shoulder straps once in less than a year. I am looking for something lighter and maby dropping down to a 70L. But don't think I can go any smaller. Any ideas out there? I do like Osprey.

Venchka
02-05-2018, 16:48
ULA
Catalyst or Circuit. I’ve used the Catalyst solo with a 20 degree Alpinlite Large, MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX tent and a week’s worth of food. 30-35 pounds probably. It works for me. Until my granddaughter talked me out of it.
3 pounds all up as sold. Very solid construction. The best belt and outside pockets!
Wayne

SoaknWet
02-05-2018, 16:53
+1 on the Circuit! Mines 2 years old and would not trade. I did strip it of the belt padding, just a personal thing.

Venchka
02-05-2018, 16:59
+1 on the Circuit! Mines 2 years old and would not trade. I did strip it of the belt padding, just a personal thing.
Two More Miles:
If you really need the space of a 70 liter pack I strongly advise getting the Catalyst. ULA uses the dubious volume of the pockets to get the total volume up. I ended up carrying the MSR tent in an outside pocket.
Wayne

Two more miles
02-05-2018, 17:29
I'm not really sure how much smaller I can go. I am planning on stopping by REI this weekend and thought I would take my full pack minus food and just see what I can squeeze into

HooKooDooKu
02-05-2018, 17:36
I purchased the Osprey Volt 75 a few years ago for a JMT thru (needed something big enough to carry a Bearikade Expedition, 1,000cuin bear canister).

Most of the larger Osprey packs weigh over 5lbs emtpy and cost about $300. But the Volt weights about 4lbs empty and retails for only $200 (picked mine up for $160 during REI's annual Memorial Day sale where you get to take 20% off one item).

I know in principle the reason the Volt weights less and costs less is because it doesn't have the "bells and whistles" the more expensive Osprey packs have... but I'm not sure what those features are... I loved my Volt as is (well, except I ripped out the separator that tries to create a sleeping bag compartment, the shape of the compartment was a bit odd and I pack by bag and cloths in a liner anyway).

Two more miles
02-05-2018, 17:45
How does it cary compared to the Aether or zenith?

TX Aggie
02-05-2018, 18:51
What kind of weight are you carrying? If you need a bigger pack that can handle loads over 40lbs consistently, look into the Unaweep packs from SeekOutside.

The Divide is a 4500 series pack.
https://seekoutside.com/ultralight-backpacks/

HooKooDooKu
02-06-2018, 00:20
How does it cary compared to the Aether or zenith?
Never compared the Volt to any of the other Ospreys...
The way it worked well for my needs was that I could put by sleeping bag and cloths in the bottom, the bear canister vertically on top, stove, sleeping pad, and misc gear around he bear canister, I never needed to remove the bear canister during the day, and kept water bottles and water filter in the side pockets, leaving the mesh back pocket for rain coat and wet cloths. Tent was attached via the slash straps. I was prepared for temperatures below freezing, but I doubt I ever encountered anything colder than about 40 degrees on my trip.

Sarcasm the elf
02-06-2018, 01:52
Take a look at the Gregory Baltoro line as well. I have the 70L as a winter pack and I think they make an larger size now as well.

The ULA Catalyst is also a great option, however it is made for lighter weight and is only designed to carry 40lbs max. This may or may not be an issue for you.

Singto
02-06-2018, 02:19
Have a look at the Granite Gear Crown2 60. A lightweight $200 pack. This would be my present choice if I was looking for a new pack.

Siestita
02-06-2018, 02:37
+1 for the ULA Catalyst. I've enjoyed using mine since it replaced a heavier pack 15 months ago.

Singto
02-06-2018, 03:41
Everyone likes their ULA Catalyst, and I respect that. It's $260 @ 48 ounces. The GG Crown2 60 is $199 @ 36 ounces, less if you remove the internal frame plate for lighter loads. For me, not a tough decision if I were looking at buying a new pack. In fact I am considering buying the GG now even though I have a new 33 ounce 50 Liter bag from a different company. I might need/want the extra space.

QuietStorm
02-06-2018, 05:46
Just returned my Crown 2. Stitching came undone in 2 places on the third overnight hike. Save your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singto
02-06-2018, 07:10
Just returned my Crown 2. Stitching came undone in 2 places on the third overnight hike. Save your money.

Sorry to hear that happened to you but every product can have problems in production/workmanship from time to time. If there is a pattern of that kind of defect, it is concerning, if there are a limited number of isolated cases, then it's pretty normal. For me, even if I find a defect in a product, I measure how good a company is by how they respond to the discovery of a defect.

Did Granite Gear not respond appropriately, such as offer to promptly repair it at their cost, exchange it at a local outfitter or replace it themselves with a new one or did you just decide to return it and not give them a second chance at your business, which is your prerogative?

I ask only because I am considering this pack/company.

Thank you

Gambit McCrae
02-06-2018, 09:22
My suggestion would be to get a Circuit. Pack the things that are a necessity first, and pack the pack till it is full. IMO a 70L pack should be more of a novelty item in todays time, but in the grand scheme of things I am also just a young whipper snapper.... frontal lobe just matured fully a few years ago so I am still new at this thinking thing :-?

But in earnest if you get your kit down to a 55-60 range you will thank yourself from a weight standpoint.

Coffee
02-06-2018, 09:50
Do a gear shakedown and see if a circuit will work. If not the catalyst is a good choice too. I have owned both but sold the Catalyst since I didn't need the capacity and have found the circuit more comfortable. It's five years old, many thousands of miles and seems nearly new. Very durable.

Two more miles
02-06-2018, 10:20
I hike with my girlfriend so I have a larger tent than most witch is the problem with the amount of volume and the extra weight. I prefer to load it inside the pack but It takes up about a third of my space and weights around 6 pounds. We love this tent and I have looked at others MSR, tarp,big a, ect. There is no advantage to me, spending $600 to save a pound and get a cheaper built one. My fully loaded weight is around 35 lbs with 3L of water.

Sarcasm the elf
02-06-2018, 10:48
Gotta love some of these responses. :D

Opening post: I'm looking for specific recommendations for a pack that is 70L or more.

Responses: Here are some great packs that are much smaller than you want. You should buy one. :banana

Two more miles
02-06-2018, 11:13
Thank you all for your help and advice.

Two more miles
02-06-2018, 11:16
Sometimes I feel like it's just one big REI add. But I do appreciate the opportunity and advice on here

dwcoyote
02-06-2018, 11:18
I have a Granite Gear Lutsen 55 that I usually carry and at times I am at the high end of recommended weight limit and it is a solid built pack. I have purchased several other items from Granite Gear and have never had a problem with the quality. The only issue I have ever had with my pack was that I broke on of the zipper pulls. I emailed GG and asked about purchasing a couple of zipper pulls and they send me a handful for free. I personally think GG is an outstanding company and very good about helping out their customers.

Coffee
02-06-2018, 12:31
Gotta love some of these responses. :D
Opening post: I'm looking for specific recommendations for a pack that is 70L or more.
Responses: Here are some great packs that are much smaller than you want. You should buy one. :banana

Circuit is advertised as 68L. Catalyst at 75L.

Sarcasm the elf
02-06-2018, 12:44
Circuit is advertised as 68L. Catalyst at 75L.
Come on now, we both own a Circuit. It's a phenomenal pack, but it takes a lot of funny math to call it a 68L. :cool:

TX Aggie
02-06-2018, 13:03
Come on now, we both own a Circuit. It's a phenomenal pack, but it takes a lot of funny math to call it a 68L. :cool:

Lol.

Yah, the main pack isn’t anywhere near 68L
From ULA:
TOTAL VOLUME: 4,200 CU IN | 68 L
Breakdown (Cu In):
Main Body: 2,400
Front Mesh Pocket: 400
Left Side Mesh Pocket: 400
Right Side Mesh Pocket: 400
Extension Collar: 500
Left Hipbelt Pocket: 100
Right Hipbelt Pocket: 100

Time Zone
02-06-2018, 14:31
Lol.

From ULA:
Breakdown (Cu In):

And is it safe to say that the industry standard is to not report pack capacity this way? Therefore, on an apples-to-apples basis, you should not compare the pack (esp. by weight or price) to others in the 65-70L range?

2400 ci = 39.3 L

68L is about 73% higher. That's quite a triumph of marketing, if indeed, it's not typical to add in the capacity of the various pockets, extension collar, and so forth. Especially if any pockets tend to press into the pack when full, rather than only expanding outwardly.

In any case, the only reason it matters is that most people comparison shop and probably aren't comparing it to other 39L packs. So it looks super light for the capacity, but maybe it's more ordinary on an apples-to-apples basis.

Sarcasm the elf
02-06-2018, 16:36
And is it safe to say that the industry standard is to not report pack capacity this way? Therefore, on an apples-to-apples basis, you should not compare the pack (esp. by weight or price) to others in the 65-70L range?

2400 ci = 39.3 L

68L is about 73% higher. That's quite a triumph of marketing, if indeed, it's not typical to add in the capacity of the various pockets, extension collar, and so forth. Especially if any pockets tend to press into the pack when full, rather than only expanding outwardly.

In any case, the only reason it matters is that most people comparison shop and probably aren't comparing it to other 39L packs. So it looks super light for the capacity, but maybe it's more ordinary on an apples-to-apples basis.

To my knowledge, most gear manufacturers use similar means of rating their volumes. The difference is that ULA has an relatively high proportion of their volume located in the exterior pockets (in fairness, the 500ci they quote as being in the extension collar is really part of the main compartment as well). When I bought my Circuit years ago I was upgrading from a 55L pack that had nearly all of the volume inside the main compartment and I found the Circuit to be a bit smaller than my old bag. Again, it's a great pack that I highly recommend, it just shouldn't be sized based on 68L total volume number, which is likely why they provide the quoted breakdown on their website.

Time Zone
02-06-2018, 16:53
The thing about expansion collars is that you can't really count on using the full height. You have to allow for some of the collar fabric to close it off, unless you think the lid/brain would suffice to hold stuff in. Maybe not always, but typically, I suspect. Depends in part on what's packed near the top.

Singto
02-07-2018, 02:16
Lol.

From ULA:
Breakdown (Cu In):

Buyer beware. Some people are happy with space breakdowns and want this type of storage to easily access specific items. Others want most of the space to be in the main compartment. As long as a manufacturer is upfront with the allocation of space, such as ULA, in their calculation of total volume, I'm ok with it. Buyers just need to pay attention to what they're buying. Me, I want more storage in the main compartment.

fastfoxengineering
02-07-2018, 05:37
I hike with my girlfriend so I have a larger tent than most witch is the problem with the amount of volume and the extra weight. I prefer to load it inside the pack but It takes up about a third of my space and weights around 6 pounds. We love this tent and I have looked at others MSR, tarp,big a, ect. There is no advantage to me, spending $600 to save a pound and get a cheaper built one. My fully loaded weight is around 35 lbs with 3L of water.If your routinely carrying 35 lbs. I don't recommend most of the packs recommended in this thread lol.

The catalyst would be a good pack but it's smaller than you want. It'll carry a little more weight comfortably.

All the two pound frame sheet packs probably don't have as much support as you would like.

Load ratings are typically exaggerated.

You'd most likely be better served with a full suspension pack like an Atmos 65 or Gregory.

However, six pound two person tent?

There are alot of great three person shelters (for the space) out there weighing half that for much less than $600. Tarptent comes to mind.

Maybe it's times to look critically and upgrade other pieces of kit as well if you can afford to do so.

If not.. then I think your in the market for a load hauling pack. Not a lightweight or ultralight pack.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

TX Aggie
02-07-2018, 07:32
If your routinely carrying 35 lbs. I don't recommend most of the packs recommended in this thread lol.

The catalyst would be a good pack but it's smaller than you want. It'll carry a little more weight comfortably.

All the two pound frame sheet packs probably don't have as much support as you would like.

Load ratings are typically exaggerated.

You'd most likely be better served with a full suspension pack like an Atmos 65 or Gregory.

However, six pound two person tent?

There are alot of great three person shelters (for the space) out there weighing half that for much less than $600. Tarptent comes to mind.

Maybe it's times to look critically and upgrade other pieces of kit as well if you can afford to do so.

If not.. then I think your in the market for a load hauling pack. Not a lightweight or ultralight pack.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Again, the SeekOutside packs are in the 2.5 lb category and will easily haul 60lbs comfortably. So while not as light as an ArcHaul, they’re right in line with an Osprey Exos, and well under the weight of the Baltero.

Bonus: the SeekOutside packs use a common frame system, you can actually swap out different size and styles of bags.

MtDoraDave
02-07-2018, 09:34
Last year, I was looking for a new pack that was large enough for a bear cannister and my winter sleeping bag and layers.
Through suggestions here and hours of online research, I narrowed it down to two packs:
Osprey Volt 75 liter 4lbs $200
ULA Catalyst 3lbs $260

I ended up going with the Osprey Volt 75 for several reasons, but the main 2 were the traditional construction gave me more belief or confidence that it would be comfortable, and the lid/ brain; I really like the lid feature on a pack.
It is very comfortable to me, and it holds everything I need for a week in cold weather.

Gambit McCrae
02-07-2018, 09:45

Agreed. I have one as well and I would call it closer to 60L

My arc blast is 55, and there is a noticeable difference in the two. But I can get all my winter stuff in my circuit, but not the arc.

HooKooDooKu
02-07-2018, 10:40
...I ended up going with the Osprey Volt 75 for several reasons, but the main 2 were the traditional construction gave me more belief or confidence that it would be comfortable, and the lid/ brain; I really like the lid feature on a pack...
When I used the Volt for my JMT thru, the day I left MTR (with 10 days of supplies), I estimated that my pack weighted about 55lbs. Other than simply the sheer extra weight my body had to carry, I found the Volt comfortably handled the load. I also enjoyed the fact that I could access stuff from within the brain without having to stop and take the pack off. Made for a convenient place to keep my phone (for the Guthook guide) and map booklet and stay accessible thru the day.

Coffee
02-07-2018, 10:41

That's true but it voluminous, at least to me. I'm not sure how the other manufacturers account for the extra pockets, etc. Anyway, I guess I'm a ULA fanboy - lol!

Venchka
02-07-2018, 17:40
Circuit is advertised as 68L. Catalyst at 75L.l
In my limited experience, the Catalyst behaves more like a 65 liter pack. Moving the MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX to the right side pocket constrained with the compression straps was a huge improvement. Just for grins at home, I filled my 3 qt./liter Nalgene soft canteen and the left side pocket swallowed it with room to spare. 2 liter Platypus Hoser in the inside bladder sleeve. Alpinlite Long, Xtherm Large and sleeping clothes in the bottom. Kitchen and food in the top. Rain gear in the outside front pocket. A bushel of trail snacks in the belt pockets.
I miss that pack. It certainly worked well from 10,000’ to 12,200’ & back to 10,00’ in Colorado.
Wayne

poolskaterx
02-23-2018, 19:23
Comfort and load capacity is a strong suite on the Osprey pack; I own a "Atmos 65". the Hip pockets are just silly and nearly useless. Not a light pack by any means but pretty comfy even at 50lbs... it can get squeaky though. Love the vented "arched" style frame... so much so, that I purchased a zpacks arc-zip pack for my now UL loads; I still have my Osprey as my loaner pack now.

Trail Lady
11-13-2018, 12:42
I did a review on the Granite Gear VC men's 60L if interested.
review/ (https://www.artemisonthetrail.com/review-granite-gear-crown-vc-60l-mens-hiking-pack/)

MtDoraDave
03-11-2019, 16:30
Last year, I was looking for a new pack that was large enough for a bear cannister and my winter sleeping bag and layers.
Through suggestions here and hours of online research, I narrowed it down to two packs:
Osprey Volt 75 liter 4lbs $200
ULA Catalyst 3lbs $260

I ended up going with the Osprey Volt 75 for several reasons, but the main 2 were the traditional construction gave me more belief or confidence that it would be comfortable, and the lid/ brain; I really like the lid feature on a pack.
It is very comfortable to me, and it holds everything I need for a week in cold weather.

...and now I have a Circuit, too. :)
The Volt is comfortable, but I don't need 75 liters in the warmer seasons, so although the Circuit is supposedly 68 liters, it is almost two pounds lighter...and I'm soon going to replace my prolite plus with a neoair xlite, saving almost another pound.
Last June I was around 27lbs fully loaded with 3 days of food and 1 liter of water. Looks like I can get down to 24 lbs. Woot
... I considered the Ohm, but sometimes I carry more food and water, and the Circuit is rated for more weight, and should carry it better.

Can't wait to load it up and take it out.

MtDoraDave
03-24-2019, 13:15
I loaded up the Circuit and took it out for a walk.
Quite comfortable. Nice pack.
They attach 2 bungee cords on each shoulder strap to hold water bottles, and they worked pretty well, after getting used to them being slightly in the way.
What I didn't like about that was that I had to stop and use both hands to get a bottle out to take a drink and again to put it back.
Is there a hack for putting a drinking tube in the bottles I can copy? Or do I need to get creative?

Venchka
03-24-2019, 15:50
Amazon sells drinking tubes for bottles.
In the time I had my Catalyst, I found that I could drink from a 1 liter Esentia water bottle without difficulties. Except for handling my hiking poles. With practice it wasn’t hard.
Wayne

Tabasco
03-24-2019, 18:06
I’ve got a beautiful Arc Teryx Bora 95. Carries 60-70 lbs as comfortably as possible. It’s a beast.

wiiawiwb
04-22-2021, 23:55
I've got a Seek Outside Gila which has a main bag capacity of 57L plus 13L face pocket and two waterbottle pockets that each hold two quarts of Gatorade. Total weight of 2lbs 10oz without the cross stay. It carries 35lbs like a dream and will haul 100lbs if needed.

The SO Divide is only 2lb 12oz (cross stay removed) and has a main bag capacity of 79L plus a 13L face pocket and the same monster-sized waterbottle pockets.

Absolutely outstanding backpacks.

https://seekoutside.com/gila-ultralight-backpack-gray/

https://seekoutside.com/divide-ultralight-backpack-gray/

hobbs
04-23-2021, 01:12
I ve got a ULA Cataylis and Circuit. Have to agree with Vencka is bigger rides easy with 35 pounds. MY circuit I like for summer and spring...BUT iam not gonna lie I am intriugued with wiiawiwbs seekoutside pack BUT its just to much pack for me...

foodbag
03-19-2022, 17:32
Sorry to hear that happened to you but every product can have problems in production/workmanship from time to time. If there is a pattern of that kind of defect, it is concerning, if there are a limited number of isolated cases, then it's pretty normal. For me, even if I find a defect in a product, I measure how good a company is by how they respond to the discovery of a defect.

Did Granite Gear not respond appropriately, such as offer to promptly repair it at their cost, exchange it at a local outfitter or replace it themselves with a new one or did you just decide to return it and not give them a second chance at your business, which is your prerogative?

I ask only because I am considering this pack/company.

Thank you

For what it's worth, I own both the Crown 2 60L & 38L packs and have had no problems with either. They carry well. BTW, sorry to hear about Quiet Storm's stitching problem. It happens.

One Half
03-19-2022, 19:53
I am curious what types of trips people here are taking that they use a 70L pack and what types of weight they are carrying with that capacity.

jeffmeh
03-21-2022, 14:20
I am curious what types of trips people here are taking that they use a 70L pack and what types of weight they are carrying with that capacity.

I recently got a Seek Outside Divide. My rationale here is that while there are certainly lighter packs, I want to be able to carry a heavy load when needed. I have only had it out once, this winter in the Whites, and that situation called for a pretty heavy kit, say 70 lbs. with everything I either absolutely needed or was willing to carry as a convenience. The route was not going to cover significant distance, so I really didn't worry about any weight cutting. The Divide carried that weight very comfortably.

The compression system is excellent, and I did load it up with a much lighter summer kit and found it very comfortable for that as well, but that was just an experiment for a few miles. But if it carries well at 70lbs, and I know I can snugly compress everything, I expect it to be comfortable for longer distances this summer, with a weight on average significantly lighter.

It will also fit a Bearikade Weekender horizontally in the upper part of the main compartment. I have no concerns around any extended trip with little to no resupply, given the carry.

So for me, I am willing to trade off some additional weight of the pack itself, for extra carry comfort across a wide range of situations. I will shave weight when needed elsewhere, not in the pack itself. YMMV :)

Leo L.
03-21-2022, 16:07
The pack I'm using since a few years is a Lightwave 60lt, so it does not exactly fit to your question, but still:
I'm doing local multi-day hikes here in the Alps, and am carrying a decent tent, a very good down bag, a Thermarest, a down jacket, some rain gear, a decent cooking set, the food necessary for my trip plus some spare, and all the smaller items.
When hiking with my wife, I would carry some more food, but basically my load would stay the same (while her's would be much lighter).
This sums up to 17-18kg and fits into the 60lt pack just fine.
Usually I'm planning for 4-5 days out, but most of the time I'd cut the trip short by 3-4 days for various reasons.
Honestly, I can't imagine how to do with a much smaller pack and a much lighter weight.
Would be interesting to have a direct comparison to all you UL-guys.

cmoulder
03-22-2022, 08:50
Honestly, I can't imagine how to do with a much smaller pack and a much lighter weight.

https://www.thehikinglife.com/2017/06/five-basic-principles-of-going-lighter/

"What it really comes down to is embracing simplicity, while simultaneously accumulating the knowledge and skills necessary to hike safely and comfortably in your chosen environment."

Leo L.
03-22-2022, 14:49
I hear you well.
But then, being an older guy I love some comfort, and honestly dislike being cold during the night (so I'm carrying a 4-seasons tent and two pads, plus a good down bag).
Thats all talking about winter hiking. In the warmer seasons my load might be 2-3kg easier.

cmoulder
03-22-2022, 16:51
There's plenty of info 'out there' on lightening your load while remaining warm, comfortable and well fed. Google "UL Backpacking" and you'll get zillions of results.

I'm a couple of years older than you and don't have any problems with these things. And it's so much easier hiking with a lighter load. I've done many a summer trip of 1-3 nights carrying a 5-6kg pack — total weight including food and a liter of water — and did not want for anything.

JNI64
03-22-2022, 23:21

I love my 70 L osprey I'm a section hiker and like not running out of room for stuff to carry. I'll also go out to Dollysods for a week and base camp carrying in 80 + lbs . I don't like being limited to what I can take like bear vault, chair, lots of food, clothes etc.
And it's a very comfortable pack, even with the bigger weights.

JNI64
03-22-2022, 23:24
I wanted to add especially in winter it's nice to have the bigger pack of course for all the winter crap. And of course I have smaller packs.

cmoulder
03-23-2022, 08:01
And it's a very comfortable pack, even with the bigger weights.
This seems to be somewhat at odds with your avatar.

JNI64
03-23-2022, 09:28
This seems to be somewhat at odds with your avatar.

Ha,lol, thats a good one:)
I said comfortable not easy . And there's way too many layers to this onion to be described with one avatar....