PDA

View Full Version : SOBO strategy

Two more miles
02-05-2018, 16:47
I'm planning a SOBO for next year. Would starting off with drops, say till out of the White's then just an a few spread out the rest of the way with a bounce box work well?

Two more miles
02-05-2018, 17:21
Sorry I forgot to ask. What is the best way to plan for box drops? The trek has a neet map with all shelters and resupply stops. Do I just figure out about where I'll be when I'll need a drop and plan accordingly? I'm sure it's not rocket science but ideas from those who have been there know better than someone who hasn't.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2018, 17:30
First you should get the AWOL guide which will give you more town info and what business accepts packages and the PO hours. You can also find out what services are in the town to decide if you really need a package or not. While the selection can be limited in the small rural stores, you can find enough to get by.

You should send out packages no more then 2 weeks before you expect to arrive. That way it's not sitting around too long and getting buried under other mail and packages, making it hard to find. It's good to have a "package manager" who can send out the packages when and to where you need them, filled with stuff you need at the time. Packages made up months in advance will rarely have what you want by the time you get it.

TJ aka Teej
02-05-2018, 22:46
Don't mail boxes to the Abol Bridge Store or Whitehouse Landing without speaking to the operators directly, well beforehand.
Consider a drop bucket in the 100 from the AT Lodge in Millinocket or Shaws in Monson.
No drop needed in Monson, great resupply now.
Do NOT bounce a box from there to Caratunk. You'll hike there before the box is trucked around.
A guide to Baxter and Katahdin guide for Sobos here (https://baxterinfo.wordpress.com/2017/12/20/the-2018-sobos-guide-to-baxter-and-katahdin/).

lonehiker
02-06-2018, 10:15
Sorry I forgot to ask. What is the best way to plan for box drops? The trek has a neet map with all shelters and resupply stops. Do I just figure out about where I'll be when I'll need a drop and plan accordingly? I'm sure it's not rocket science but ideas from those who have been there know better than someone who hasn't.

Read Mr Tarlin's (Baltimore Jack) re-supply article found here on Whiteblaze.net https://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/1105-AT-Resupply-information-from-Springer-MT-Georgia-to-Mount-Katahdin-Maine. Although a bit dated it is still sound. Being dated means primarily that some of the businesses, especially hostels, need to be verified.

Two more miles
02-06-2018, 11:19
Thank you for your help.