PDA

View Full Version : Altra Timp initial report

blw2
02-05-2018, 21:04
I picked up a pair of Altra Timp. Went for Lone Peaks but they had Timps.

Have only been on a few short hikes in them, about 6 miles over the weekend. Initially very comfortable.

Not sure if I like the odd asymetric lacing...had a bit of a problem with my shoe hurting when hiking along a sloped trail. My high foot I guess was sliding in the shoe...but it was mild

sole traction. I'd read some reports of slippery tread. Well, my house has some slick tile, like ice when wet and in bear feet. Pretty much the same in the Timps. It was raining, everything wet, and I just about went down. Thinking they'll be pretty bad on slippery rocks in a stream.

saltysack
02-05-2018, 22:55
I’ve found them more comfortable for me than either the LP 3.0 and especially the 3.5. I haven’t noticed any lack of traction but I only have about lil over 100 miles on them..all Alta should come with shoe goo...it’s a love hate relationship but I’ll keep buying as they’re so much more comfortable for my wide feet. Just wish they were more durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grubbster
02-06-2018, 08:22
I just took mine out for their maiden voyage this past weekend. Only went about 15 miles but had no issues. No discomfort in the fit and didn't notice any traction issues, although it wasn't particularly rocky. I do like the tighter weave fabric over the Lone Peaks as it seems it would let in less trail dirt. Cannot for the life of me understand their decision to make the shoe fabric reflective. Reflective for a trail shoe? Although I will admit they were quite the directional beacon after I removed them in camp and was using the headlamp.

globetruck
02-06-2018, 21:06
Mine are super comfy but needed shoe goo after about 200 miles of VA hiking.

globetruck
03-12-2018, 14:08
Timp update: In spite of their shortcomings, I find myself wearing my Timps more than my Lone Peak 3.5s. Size 11 Timps seem to fit me better than size 11.5 Lone Peak (the size 11 Lone Peak seemed to run short for some odd reason, and I felt my 2nd and 3rd toes hitting the toecap).

Areas in which the Timp is better than Lone Peak 3.5:
- Much better shoe laces that stay tied
- Sizing felt more true - size 11 Timps fit me perfectly.
- Heel cup is more rigid than the Lone Peak 3.5. I typically don’t untie/retie my shoe and the Timp heel cup stays rigid while I slide my foot in. The Lone Peaks got all squishy.
- I know this is subjective, but my Timps are more comfortable, but maybe this is because I have a size 11 Timp compared to 11.5 Lone Peak.

Areas in which the Lone Peak 3.5s are better than Timp:
- Lone Peak 3.5 has a more durable and rigid and durable sole.
- I haven’t had my Lone Peaks on any significant rocky hikes, but the material doesn’t seem as likely to fray. My Timps have a few areas that have frayed open and the material seems to “run” like women’s tights/pantyhose. I’m curious to see if the Lone Peaks are more “ripstop” in nature.

The Timps have required some Shoe Goo but they’re holding together and I have noticed that the Timp heel cup seems slightly more rigid than the

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JC13
03-12-2018, 16:05
The LP 3.5s are known to run a full size small from pretty much every review I have read. Been eyeing a pair of them in size 13 for when my King MTs bite the dust or I know I will be doing 20+ mile days for a longer trip.

Dogwood
03-12-2018, 16:14
...Not sure if I like the odd asymetric lacing...had a bit of a problem with my shoe hurting when hiking along a sloped trail. My high foot I guess was sliding in the shoe...but it was mild...

The heel collar sides are quite low. Use a lacing system for a a good heel grip. Fit floppiness especially when sidehilling can cause me even with high volume feet to step out of Altras if I dont.

cmoulder
03-12-2018, 16:16
I can't compare to LP 3.5 (I have some 3.0s) but the Timps are definitely more cushy. I think stack height is something like 29mm vs 25mm for LP.

The offset lace thing is weird and the reflective pattern makes me feel like Twinkletoes. No problem at all with grip. They made the gaiter trap smaller and the tug loop on the back a LOT bigger. I never use those tug loops anyway.

I started using Freesole for repairs instead of Shoe Goo. Gotta let it dry overnight but the result is superior. But I have not yet had to repair the Timps, as I only have about 80 mi on them thus far.

Kaptainkriz
03-12-2018, 20:24
I may try the Freesole on my toe caps...looks similar to 3M 5200, which I was going to try before I saw this.

I started using Freesole for repairs instead of Shoe Goo. Gotta let it dry overnight but the result is superior. But I have not yet had to repair the Timps, as I only have about 80 mi on them thus far.

cmoulder
03-12-2018, 20:59
I may try the Freesole on my toe caps...looks similar to 3M 5200, which I was going to try before I saw this.

That's exactly where I used it on the LP3s and it is working great. They peeled up very quickly, after only 50 or so miles, but have held fine since then after repairing with Freesole.

Kaptainkriz
03-12-2018, 21:05
That is great to hear! Mine peeled about a half inch some time over the 1st hundred miles and seemed to stabilize.

That's exactly where I used it on the LP3s and it is working great. They peeled up very quickly, after only 50 or so miles, but have held fine since then after repairing with Freesole.

Dogwood
03-12-2018, 21:24
It's interesting you said that about the heel cup being different on your Timps Globetruck. Do you attribute that to the 1/2 size smaller than your LPs? Or, do you think it something else like design differences?

globetruck
03-12-2018, 23:51
It's interesting you said that about the heel cup being different on your Timps Globetruck. Do you attribute that to the 1/2 size smaller than your LPs? Or, do you think it something else like design differences?

The Timp heel cup is definitely more rigid. It seems that the Timp uses slightly thinner liner material and that the LP 3.5 has more cushy liner material in the heel area. They’re both comfortable, but the Timp seems to hold its shape. Think of it this way: as I slide my foot into the LP 3.5, some of the foam gets sucked downward as my foot slips in. That doesn’t happen in the Timp. Neither has caused me any discomfort or blisters, and I use the same custom orthopedic inserts in both shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saltysack
03-30-2018, 19:49
Typical Altra fashion....love hate relationship continues...160 miles....uggggg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180330/b97036804628f04829d56cf9a75ee453.jpg

JC13
03-30-2018, 21:35
You're scaring me. I have 150 on my Kings and no issues so far.

saltysack
03-30-2018, 22:41
You're scaring me. I have 150 on my Kings and no issues so far.

I seem to be tough on my trail runners but none of the Altra have lasted me very long...I have been happy with the Torin 2.5 for daily workout shoes and just ordered the 3.0.....

Greenlight
03-31-2018, 00:03
I seem to be tough on my trail runners but none of the Altra have lasted me very long...I have been happy with the Torin 2.5 for daily workout shoes and just ordered the 3.0.....

I just bought a pair of Lone Peak 3.5s and hoping they last longer than that. But if not then back to REI they go in exchange for Merrill Moab 2 mid vents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

globetruck
03-31-2018, 08:54
I just bought a pair of Lone Peak 3.5s and hoping they last longer than that. But if not then back to REI they go in exchange for Merrill Moab 2 mid vents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have come to like my Timps over LP 3.5s but I would like to know what other alternatives are out there. I love Altra’s wide toe box.

saltysack
03-31-2018, 10:10
I have come to like my Timps over LP 3.5s but I would like to know what other alternatives are out there. I love Altra’s wide toe box.

Agree just wish the cost vs lifespan was lil better...Cost looking about $.65 per mile so not very good but sure are comfortable...

imscotty
03-31-2018, 15:32
Lone Peaks have been my everyday sneaker and trail shoe the past few years. I returned a mail order pair of Lone Peak 3.5 today to REI due to size issues.. The 3.5 version is definitely sized smaller than the previous Lone Peaks, so I moved up half a size from my regular size. REI had Superiors, Lone Peaks and Timps in stock, so I gave them all a tryout in the store. My observation....

Superior: Love the comfort of these shoes, they feel like slippers. I am not looking for a lot of cushion, so I would be happy with these as a trail shoe. You can see from the materials and construction that these shoes would have a short life on the trail, so for economic reasons I gave them a pass. If I could get Superiors at half price I would stock up and just switch out shoes twice as often.

Timps: I was loving the Timps as first glance, very comfortable. REI has a fake rock to climb to test out shoes, so I put a Lone Peak on one foot and a Timp on the other. On the steep part of the rock the Timp foot suddenly right out from under me. Almost fell on my ass. Thought it was a quirk, but then they did it again. Went home with the Lone Peaks.

Love the Lone Peaks. If I see a great sale I might stock up on Superiors. Will wait for the next model of the Timp and see if they change the soles at all. By the way, I thought the asymmetric lacing on the Timps made the shoe so comfortable, for my feet anyway. Would like to see some Lone Peaks with lacing like that.

JC13
03-31-2018, 22:32
Lone Peaks have been my everyday sneaker and trail shoe the past few years. I returned a mail order pair of Lone Peak 3.5 today to REI due to size issues.. The 3.5 version is definitely sized smaller than the previous Lone Peaks, so I moved up half a size from my regular size. REI had Superiors, Lone Peaks and Timps in stock, so I gave them all a tryout in the store.The LP 3.5's are noted to run a full size smaller than the previous LP's. I asked about the sizing vs the Kings and was told to go to 13's if I wear 12 in Kings. Just something to note.

saltysack
04-01-2018, 15:18
Lone Peaks have been my everyday sneaker and trail shoe the past few years. I returned a mail order pair of Lone Peak 3.5 today to REI due to size issues.. The 3.5 version is definitely sized smaller than the previous Lone Peaks, so I moved up half a size from my regular size. REI had Superiors, Lone Peaks and Timps in stock, so I gave them all a tryout in the store. My observation....

Superior: Love the comfort of these shoes, they feel like slippers. I am not looking for a lot of cushion, so I would be happy with these as a trail shoe. You can see from the materials and construction that these shoes would have a short life on the trail, so for economic reasons I gave them a pass. If I could get Superiors at half price I would stock up and just switch out shoes twice as often.

Timps: I was loving the Timps as first glance, very comfortable. REI has a fake rock to climb to test out shoes, so I put a Lone Peak on one foot and a Timp on the other. On the steep part of the rock the Timp foot suddenly right out from under me. Almost fell on my ass. Thought it was a quirk, but then they did it again. Went home with the Lone Peaks.

Love the Lone Peaks. If I see a great sale I might stock up on Superiors. Will wait for the next model of the Timp and see if they change the soles at all. By the way, I thought the asymmetric lacing on the Timps made the shoe so comfortable, for my feet anyway. Would like to see some Lone Peaks with lacing like that.

Never had an issue on real rocks w the Timps...actually did surprisingly well on mud/ice/snow compared to other shoes I’ve used..I recently ordered a pair of superior 3 on amazon for $65 but unfortunately needed a larger size so I returned and no size 13 at that price....

saltysack
04-01-2018, 15:29
The LP 3.5's are noted to run a full size smaller than the previous LP's. I asked about the sizing vs the Kings and was told to go to 13's if I wear 12 in Kings. Just something to note.

A lot less volume in 3.5 as well...superfeet green ate up to much had to go to the thinner carbon ones...

JC13
04-17-2018, 15:36
I was just doing some research on Altra's site and realized the Kings have an even smaller stack height than the Superior... No wonder after ~20 miles my feet are beat. I'm almost tempted to try the Superior if I can find a good sale.

19mm stack on the King MT
21mm on the Superior
25mm Lone Peak
29mm Timp
36mm Olympus(this seems like it would be ridiculous)

Zed
04-17-2018, 17:04
36mm Olympus(this seems like it would be ridiculous)

I wore Olympus from Harper's Ferry to Katahdin, replaced once in Killington, VT but should probably have been about 100 miles sooner. My feet loved them. I cruised through PA's rocks with no complaints.

Venchka
04-17-2018, 17:30
I wore Olympus from Harper's Ferry to Katahdin, replaced once in Killington, VT but should probably have been about 100 miles sooner. My feet loved them. I cruised through PA's rocks with no complaints.
My ongoing unofficial, unscientific and informal observation is that most people replace trail runners 100-200 miles beyond their functional limits.
Wayne

globetruck
04-17-2018, 18:23
I just bought a new pair of Timps. Comfort and fit beat out durability... at least for me.

Venchka
04-17-2018, 19:15
I just bought a new pair of Timps. Comfort and fit beat out durability... at least for me.

I wasn’t speaking about the lifespan of shoes. I’m noticing that people tend to wear their shoes beyond their useful lifespan with the atendant risk of injury.
Wayne

JC13
04-17-2018, 20:54
I wore Olympus from Harper's Ferry to Katahdin, replaced once in Killington, VT but should probably have been about 100 miles sooner. My feet loved them. I cruised through PA's rocks with no complaints.I have no doubt they are comfy, coming from almost half the stack height, mentally it seems that they would have a bit of float or looseness. I may eventually try them out at least in the store. Found the Superior for $70, really tempted but not sure that 2mm is going to be that big a difference for big mileage.

Dogwood
04-18-2018, 17:08
Altra's are very light trail and road runners. T^L^C. greater the abrasiveness, bigger the load, bigger the pounding, greater the wear. Two first pr of Altras Olympus I got 700 miles each on. That's in line with other trail runners of this wt. First pr I still have for mowing the lawn after applying some McNett's Seam Grip.

cmoulder
04-18-2018, 17:49
I've got about 150 mi on the Timps now and they are fine... so far... no less grip or stability than the other Altras I have used, LP 3.0 and Superior 3.0, although the Superior uppers are in sad shape after only a couple hundred miles. And I'm not too hard on shoes.

Cheyou
04-18-2018, 18:05
I've got about 150 mi on the Timps now and they are fine... so far... no less grip or stability than the other Altras I have used, LP 3.0 and Superior 3.0, although the Superior uppers are in sad shape after only a couple hundred miles. And I'm not too hard on shoes.

They all all wear out to to soon for me .

thom

saltysack
04-18-2018, 19:06

I guess I’m tough on shoes..my Timps will be lucky to hit 200 miles....I’m 220lbs plus pack so guess I’m on the heavy side....I think the last trip in the snow with hidden rocks did the mesh in...the tread is fine. I’ll definitely buy again if on sale but not paying $130....

cmoulder
04-19-2018, 08:14
I agree, subjective and highly dependent upon where/how you hike.

Rock-jamming, which is sometimes unavoidable with very scrambly hikes, will kill 'em right quick like! Once did Mt. Borah in ID and the very loose, abrasive scree damn near killed some leather boots in short order.