PDA

View Full Version : Camp sites near Harpers Creek Shelter

rwd111
02-07-2018, 11:30
I'm planning a section through the Three Ridges area later this spring and scouting for non-shelter campsites (I try not to camp at shelter sites if possible).. does anyone recall camp sites near Harpers Creek Shelter? Worse case, is there adequate room around the shelter to accomodate a lone camper? Looks like a great shelter site with creek nearby but hard to tell if there's much room.

TNhiker
02-07-2018, 11:41
yeah....

if i remember correctly----theres a place for a tent or two in that area.....

Slo-go'en
02-07-2018, 11:49
That's a really nice modern shelter at a very scenic spot. One of my favorites. Plenty of tenting space near-by.

u.w.
02-07-2018, 11:58
There is a whole bunch of tenting spots near there, just down stream a bit from the shelter. Like a huge amount - it looks like it's a place where Scout groups go maybe.

u.w.

TNhiker
02-07-2018, 12:17
it looks like it's a place where Scout groups go maybe.

that it seems to be...

when i did that loop---going up the AT to mau har and back around------i ran into a large scout group at the maupin fields shelter....

they indicated that it was a very popular trip within their district......

rwd111
02-07-2018, 15:38
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like there's plenty of room.

Huntmog
02-07-2018, 20:33
Iv tented th ere 3 times and hiked through another few....there are tons of spots around the shelter but very few are level. Iv spent a miserable night there rolling downhill. As others mentioned, the Mau har loop is many folks intro to backpacking so expect crowdson the weekend.