PDA

View Full Version : help with sleeping bag situation

ZiggySours
02-07-2018, 19:31
Hey everyone starting out this season thru hiking the va section since its pretty much in my backyard I live in Richmond Va Going for big miles next year. However, right now im having a hard time fining a suitable backpacking sleeping bag. Im kind of ballin on a budget not looking for the most light weight one or the most high tech. I am 5'10 about 250 kinda stout but i carry it well. The real issue im having is that my shoulders are like pretty big and that kind of makes finding a bag pretty hard. Here is a list of a few i have tried kelty cosmic down 20,big agness regular lost ranger 15, rei radiant 19 long and wide Of these the rei one fit the best but the guy at rei said it did not totally fit properly. Honestly it was the most comfortable i had ever been in a bag and i dont really care for this guy at rei to much. He kind of pissed me off while i was buying my pack but thats another story for another time lol. I also tried the nemo disco and yeah not fitting in that either. So any big guys got some advice im also going to be hammock camping so im kind of up in the air on what to do. Have been a day hike weekend warrior and avid car camper for years so no stranger to the game but am deff having issues gearing up and making things packable. Thanks in advance Joe

Cheyou
02-07-2018, 19:47
https://sierradesigns.com/eleanor-plus-700-15-degree/
i don’t know anything about this bag . Look like a great price

thom

Cheyou
02-07-2018, 19:52
https://sierradesigns.com/zissou-plus-700-30-degree/

or

Venchka
02-07-2018, 20:23
I’m not a hammock sleeper person.
But I do know that hammock folks use a top quilt and an under quilt. Sleeping bags aren’t ideal in a hammock.
The Hammock Forum here will help you.
Wayne

Hatchet_1697
02-07-2018, 20:42
I’m 6’, broad shoulders, and was 230-240 for a long time; I went with the EE Revelation quilt, Length: Regular - 6', Width: Wide - 58" and it works great with an air mattress. I change sides while sleeping and never had it uncover me. I switched to hammocks (Dutchware Chameleon) and it works very well for both. You missed their holiday sale but they have some on the shelf quilts at a better price than custom. Worth a look.

https://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

blw2
02-07-2018, 20:54
yeah a quilt I'm thinkin'....
I'm not quite as big, and I'm not a hammock hanger, but I've never been all that comfortable in a bag since I was a kid.

Read through that enlightened equipment site referenced in previous post. They have some well written info about sizing. Applies to their stuff but I'll bet it'll point you in a good direction even if you go another route.

imscotty
02-07-2018, 21:11
Joe,

I highly recommend quilts for a hammock if you can afford it. For your top quilt I recommend getting a custom order that adds a bit more to the width.

im also going to be hammock camping so im kind of up in the air.....

Good one :)

TX Aggie
02-07-2018, 22:38
Joe,

I second (third?) the quilt suggestion, even if you’re not in a hammock.
I have an Enlightened Equipment Revelation in 20*, and it’s a great quilt. But there are several very good makes out there.
If you’re in a budget, check out HammockGear.com, they have a budget series that does no seem like a “budget” quilt. I have their 0* budget underquilt and it is very good.
The other nice thing about quilts is most of the cottage guys can make you wind versions if you want.
Here are a few:
Enlightened Equipment
Underground Quilts
Hammock Gear
Loco Libre

Good luck!

DuneElliot
02-07-2018, 23:36
Choose what is comfortable and warm...forget what some "expert" says. If that is the REI Radient bag then go with that option.

There are a lot of cottage industries that makes bags and quilts in a variety of sizes. Check into those...Enlightened Equipement, ZPacks, Feathered Friends, Loco Libre Gear and, while not a cottage industry, a Western Mountaineering bag will last you a lifetime and also come in a variety of sizes.

fastfoxengineering
02-08-2018, 00:12
Choose what is comfortable and warm...forget what some "expert" says. If that is the REI Radient bag then go with that option.

There are a lot of cottage industries that makes bags and quilts in a variety of sizes. Check into those...Enlightened Equipement, ZPacks, Feathered Friends, Loco Libre Gear and, while not a cottage industry, a Western Mountaineering bag will last you a lifetime and also come in a variety of sizes.All good choices.

knowing what I know now. I'd spend my money on a Katabatic Gear quilt or a Western Mountaineering Bag.

I own Enlightened Equipment and Zpacks quilts.

Personally I think Enlightened Equipment quilts are a good value, but slightly overrated.

I really like my Zpacks bag.

When I need another quilt. It will be a katabatic. They may seem a little heavier than the competition. But most agree they are warm to their ratings. The other guys, not so much.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Leo L.
02-08-2018, 06:13
Similar problem with my wife being a bit wide built, and all the modern UL stuff didn't fit at all. Look and feel of a sausage, she complained.
We took some bags from the shop at home and did test-sleep them, and ended up with exactly the perfect bag for her and for me.
(in both cases it was an Exped brand - bot there are lots of companies who make good bags)

Gambit McCrae
02-08-2018, 09:08
Go with a quilt, endless shoulder room. I use an EE quilt and love it. It is also a cold weather quilt so it is not used as much as I would like. My 50% of the year bag is a roomy western mountaineering bag - megalite long

CRC
02-08-2018, 14:02
I have a top quilt from Hammock Gear. It is their Econ line 20 degree and so far
I love it (only 4 nights in it so far though in Temp ranges from the around 70 last
summer to 30 this winter). They are budget friendly, seem really well made, and
the company was very helpful when I had questions. Small company though so the
lead time was about 4 weeks to have it made and shipped

Venchka
02-08-2018, 18:08
Western Mountaineering has added quilts to their inventory.
A bridge hammock might also fit you better than the gathered end hammocks.
Wayne

nsherry61
02-08-2018, 22:53
The important part of a sleeping bag is that is is comfortable for you and warm enough for you, then it's also nice if it fits your gear size and weight requirements as well.

A quilt will likely be notably lighter than the REI Radiant long/wide bag.

The REI Radiant is a great, relatively affordable bag and the wide/long one is the way to go for a lot of guys that are looking for a bit more room and want a bag.

I often use a sleeping bag in preference to a quilt, but then go and unzip the sleeping bag all the way and throw it over me like a quilt. So then, I get the comfortable roominess of a quilt until I want the extra warmth of zipping up the bag.

MuddyWaters
02-08-2018, 23:12
"Cheap" UL quilts are at least 10f cooler than a good down bag.
Owning 3 quilts and 2 WM bags, 1 montbell bag, I'm comfortable saying this.

Differential cut, shaped footbox, draft collar, and extra insulation to counter affects of drafts can make quilt comparable to bag. Only katabatic makes this.

Get a quilt for ease and comfort, but get at least 10f rated more than you want.

You will not regret a high quality down gear item, ever. It's your second most important item #1 is shoes. Sleep is your refuge, if your cold , every night, it sucks. There's nothing like being warm and cozy on frigid nights.

SkeeterPee
02-08-2018, 23:19
I am pretty much same size as you and have the radiant 20 from a couple years ago. I have a 59 in shoulder girth so I barely fit in many bags. the 70 in girth on the long/wide radiant is really too much, but far more comfortable than a 62 in bag. if your bag is too big that can trap a lot of air you have to heat. Trick is not to move around a lot.

I've been happy with mine so far for late fall backpacking. I don't use a hammock so I can't say how that would work with the bag.

cmoulder
02-09-2018, 10:01
Look at the Hammock Gear Econ quilts (http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-econ-20/). Excellent value.

For hammocking you're going to want an underquilt as well.

DuneElliot
02-09-2018, 10:10
I will say that if it gets below freezing I find a quilt to be too drafty. I used my quilts in warmer weather and my WM Versalite when it's likely to be in the 20s and 30s at night. Any colder and I stay home!!!

TX Aggie
02-09-2018, 10:57
I will say that if it gets below freezing I find a quilt to be too drafty. I used my quilts in warmer weather and my WM Versalite when it's likely to be in the 20s and 30s at night. Any colder and I stay home!!!

On the ground, maybe. I’ve found sub freezing weather in a hammock with good quilts MUCH warmer and more comfortable than in a tent.

ZiggySours
02-15-2018, 20:55
thanks for all the info i think im still on the fence about bag or quilt but deff got some more stuff to check out
the western mt bags are sweet but at like 650 a pop thats a guap of some loot but i get it its and investment

Venchka
02-15-2018, 21:56
WM @ $650 each? I know it’s been awhile since I’ve shopped, which bag are you looking at? Something around Zero or below?
On the other hand, quality down bags from several companies last for decades with a bit of care.
Good luck!
Wayne

Just Bill
02-16-2018, 10:12
http://wildernesslogics.com/BUD-WINTER-KING-TOP-QUILT-BWTQ.htm

By far- one of the best value's going right now. The 'king' is for bigger guys.

wordstew
02-17-2018, 14:21
Hey everyone starting out this season thru hiking the va section since its pretty much in my backyard I live in Richmond Va Going for big miles next year. However, right now im having a hard time fining a suitable backpacking sleeping bag. Im kind of ballin on a budget not looking for the most light weight one or the most high tech. I am 5'10 about 250 kinda stout but i carry it well. The real issue im having is that my shoulders are like pretty big and that kind of makes finding a bag pretty hard. Here is a list of a few i have tried kelty cosmic down 20,big agness regular lost ranger 15, rei radiant 19 long and wide Of these the rei one fit the best but the guy at rei said it did not totally fit properly. Honestly it was the most comfortable i had ever been in a bag and i dont really care for this guy at rei to much. He kind of pissed me off while i was buying my pack but thats another story for another time lol. I also tried the nemo disco and yeah not fitting in that either. So any big guys got some advice im also going to be hammock camping so im kind of up in the air on what to do. Have been a day hike weekend warrior and avid car camper for years so no stranger to the game but am deff having issues gearing up and making things packable. Thanks in advance Joe

Take a look at the AEGISMAX UL Goose Down Sleeping Bag Tapered Rectangular Down Sleeping Bag Super Light Backpacking Envelope Down Bag 800 Fill Gold

https://www.amazon.com/AEGISMAX-Sleeping-Rectangular-Envelope-Backpacking/dp/B074M68X5H/ref=lp_11746372011_1_6?srs=11746372011&ie=UTF8&qid=1518891624&sr=8-6

Adventure Sack
02-17-2018, 18:22
Hey brother.. you might do well in a double hammock and/or a quilt like some others have said. Double hammock is an extra pound or so in your pack but will give you space. The Paria quilt is temp rated to 15 degrees and gives a lot more room than a mummy bag.

ENO Double Hammock (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K30IV1M/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00K30IV1M&linkCode=as2&tag=olisole-20&linkId=03fa6f8fa818fad4e8582ca8c0320e99)

Paria Quilt (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7BXD6W/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01N7BXD6W&linkCode=as2&tag=olisole-20&linkId=ac0253757e9ae638123d42688e35607e)

TX Aggie
02-17-2018, 21:18
Hey brother.. you might do well in a double hammock and/or a quilt like some others have said. Double hammock is an extra pound or so in your pack but will give you space. The Paria quilt is temp rated to 15 degrees and gives a lot more room than a mummy bag.

ENO Double Hammock (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K30IV1M/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00K30IV1M&linkCode=as2&tag=olisole-20&linkId=03fa6f8fa818fad4e8582ca8c0320e99)

Paria Quilt (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7BXD6W/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01N7BXD6W&linkCode=as2&tag=olisole-20&linkId=ac0253757e9ae638123d42688e35607e)

Two posts, both promoting ENO?

There’s much better wide choices out there for backpacking than the ENO, and the quilt is only 700 full and weighs almost 3lbs.

Much better choice out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk