PDA

View Full Version : Storing a tent loosely?

blw2
02-07-2018, 20:49
In another thread about guylines tonight, i saw someone mentioned storing their tent loosely in a pillow case. Not something I've ever thought to do....
Now of course I stow fluffy things like sleeping bags, puffy coats, pillows, and such loose....But I've never stored a tent in anything other than the stuff sack it came with..... well except indirectly with my son's tent. He started using a larger duffle bag for his tent because it was easier than folding small to fit the original sack. In scouts they were car camping so size and weight didn't matter....

I guess it makes some sense to not overly press a crease in....but how critical do you folks think it is?

Especially with a dyneema zpacks or similar...... (since that is what I just bought)

soumodeler
02-07-2018, 20:56
I store my tents, including a Duplex, loose in a large plastic tote with lid off. Not really sure it makes any difference, but I like to let it air out more.

saltysack
02-07-2018, 22:33
Cuben duomid stays in a plastic grocery store bag so it’s not very compressed which is also how I pack on trail....stuff sacks don’t work for me...especially in a frameless pack...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
02-08-2018, 00:31
I setup my tent indoors (basement) with a box fan blowing on it to get it bone dry... then rolled it up and store it in the original stuff sack. I usually find that rolled up, the tent will pack in its original stuff sack (with ground cloth) with room to spare.

Singto
02-08-2018, 00:34
I make sure my tent is dry and store it in whatever bag it was shipped in.

MuddyWaters
02-08-2018, 00:57
My tents stay stuffed in storage
Never been issue

I also view all gear as disposeable with short service lives

Leo L.
02-08-2018, 04:40
All my tents got stored in the original bags, ever. Of course clean and dry.
Never had the impression that the tight storage did any additional demage.

The only case of "decay by storage" I had with a bivvy bag which I've hardly ever used and the PU coating delaminated over the years, so it heavily leaked when I once nedded it.

HooKooDooKu
02-08-2018, 10:45
The only case of "decay by storage" I had with a bivvy bag which I've hardly ever used and the PU coating delaminated over the years
Same here...
The 1st tent I ever purchased about 25 years ago (Kelty Vortex 2, predecessor to the Kelty Gunnission) started to loose the coating and seem tape starting around 15 years of age.
All the rest of my tents (Kelty, BA, & Marmot) are less than 10 years old and show no signs of wear.

lonehiker
02-08-2018, 12:01
I store my zpacks tent loosely folded. When it comes time for a trip I simply finish rolling it up and put in stuff sack. Key is making sure your tent, all gear for that matter, is thoroughly dried before any storage.

Berserker
02-08-2018, 13:38
I store mine loose only because some of them have gotten fairly odoriferous from being packed up tight.

Deadeye
02-08-2018, 15:15
for me, the loose storage is all about preventing mildew, not creases. Mildew will ruin an expensive tent pdq.

Heliotrope
02-08-2018, 15:24
for me, the loose storage is all about preventing mildew, not creases. Mildew will ruin an expensive tent pdq.

Agreed. After my trips I thoroughly dry my tarps and tents and store loosely folded in a drawer. I typically never use the original stuff sacks in or out of my pack. I want my expensive gear to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk