PDA

View Full Version : Health Food stores

Marmot Moore
02-08-2018, 14:07
Hi all
I'm starting a northbound hike in early March
I'm having trouble finding out where there are
health foods stores in town close (within 20-30)
miles of the trail) or alternatively grocery stores
with large healthy sections. I do not have someone
to send resupply boxes from the west coast, so I will
buying food and sending it out to myself at month intervals
I've done this before on other trails and it works fine but I don't know
the towns or stores in the south. I was able to figure out for a southbound as far as New
York hike two summers ago but unfortunately fell badly on Katadin--fell and broke
6 ribs. I'm all healed and ready to go again
Could you please only answer this email if you have help ,positive suggestions and ideas . I can do
without all the uninformed comments about doing the hike eating junk food.
I value my health and understand what nutrition is required for endurance athletes.
I'm planning 20+ mile days so need ideas for re supplying every 450-500 miles. I have the first 400 miles figured out.
Thank you for your help
Marmot

swjohnsey
02-08-2018, 14:31
Five hundred miles at 20 miles/day = 25 days x 2 lbs/day for food is 50 lbs of just food out of town. Sounds like a plan to me. The are plenty of easily assessable post offices along the trail.

Feral Bill
02-08-2018, 14:35
Five hundred miles at 20 miles/day = 25 days x 2 lbs/day for food is 50 lbs of just food out of town. Sounds like a plan to me. The are plenty of easily assessable post offices along the trail.

I believe MM plans to buy every few hundred miles, then send boxes to the upcoming post offices.

Dogwood
02-08-2018, 16:47
You're screwed. Ain't gonna do it. No way. Nothing wrong with Twinkles, Poop Tarts, Cheetohhs, Em&Em's, and Snockers anyway? :D Only kidding.

I sympathize with you. Maybe one day I'll spread sheet a more comprehensive list of just such locations and offer them for a sleeping spot on an LA couch from another health fanatic Tribe member. :)

Until then if you're really anal about tracking down health foods and buying directly as you go pushing some boxes ahead then I suggest you peruse a bunch of resupply lists comprehensively accumulating known within 20 miles or so of the AT med/lg grocery store and health food store locations. That's something you have to do and has largely been done but bits and pieces are on different lists and you haven't made aware some possibly important resupply details. I'm not aware of any one stop list that meets all my, and probably your, health food needs. If you want health food stores to buy along the way you'll likely have to be willing to go further off the AT. Large grocery stores are easier to locate closer to the AT. Most large grocery stores even in the south and even places like large Wally Worlds(those with food markets) now vend healthier food options and cater to specialty diets with the rise in market demand for Organic, GF, etc food.

If you're taking a hybrid resupply approach buying some along the way, finding occasional good health food store vending locations, and bouncing a few boxes ahead from that location, an approach I often take, don't always get into that 30 day bounce habit. It allows for greater flexibility.

There's another option though that can be used to resupply by itself or incorporated further into what you're currently resupply anticipating!
Buy directly from resupply locations having them mail your food. One of the best for you with your stated goals IMO is: https://outdoorherbivore.com/services/ Another is: https://zerodayresupply.com/tour

dudeijuststarted
02-08-2018, 17:42
i say this all the time. you are screwed on healthy food until you get to new england. consider dehydrated maildrops...

Venchka
02-08-2018, 17:53
Dude. Or Dudette. Walmart sells organic and inorganic healthy foods. Bob's Red Mill grains. Gluten free organic or inorganic foods. It's everywhere. Even newer fancier convenience stores, Dollar stores of all brands.
Don't worry. Be happy.
By the way, at 20 mpd, you won't slow down long enough for real food to mess you up.
If you manage to get all the way through Virginia without having a decent plate of shrimp and grits or BBQ you should not come East.
If you get through Hot Springs, NC and don't eat at the Smoky Mountain Diner you should seek professional help.
Just kidding. Maybe.
Have a great hike. Loosen up! Have fun!
Wayne

swjohnsey
02-08-2018, 18:02
Smokey Mountain Dinner was the only place that skunked me. Couldn't eat everything on the Hiker Special.

Venchka
02-08-2018, 18:03
OOPS!
I broke the rules stipulated by the OP.
Sorry.
Wayne

Dogwood
02-08-2018, 18:48
Ahh, if you're fanatically anal about health food served in Hot Springs, and for that matter anywhere along the AT, and if Elmer is still serving that delish homemade all natural wholefood vegetarian and Vegan fair, Sunnybank Inn is the place. Best healthiest most nutritious meal served to me on the entire AT. Got to give it up to quirky Elmer's Sunnybank Inn.

Marmot Moore
02-08-2018, 20:16
I guess I was not clear. Or possibly people just think it's fun to act like they misunderstand. Of course ,I meant that I would buy enough for 500 miles break it up into week packages and send it ahead to myself. I did that for all of the PCT the second time. It was pretty easy. Maybe people who actually have information could answer. I would appreciate that courtesy
What I'm looking for are stores like Whole Foods,or similar stores. the Coop in Hanover, that nice health
food store that used to be in Manchester Center( don't know if it's still there) Trader Joes
any large store that has vegetarian and whole food choices. I'm surprised that after all these years there's still so
little knowledge out there about the importance of nutrition. So little that asking questions and trying to get information could be called being anal. It's been 27 years since I did the AT. I wish that I had someone to send out packages but I do not.

Slo-go'en
02-08-2018, 21:01
What? Dollar General doesn't sell wholesome, healthy food? Bummer.

There are a fair number of towns with a real grocery store. Hiawassee, Franklin, Erwin, Roan Mt, Damascus, Marion to name a few. Bigger towns in VA and points north might have a "health food store".

You could stock up and send ahead when you get to a town with a good grocery, or do the DG in between times.

Venchka
02-08-2018, 21:02
Search the home page of Earth Fare for store locations. A regional chain with very good products. The Austrailian grass fed whole filets are AWESOME!
I'll get the link for you.
https://www.earthfare.com/stores/
Fresh Market
https://www.thefreshmarket.com/your-market/store-locator
I shop at both of these stores whenever I have the chance.
Wayne

Venchka
02-08-2018, 21:09
Like I said,
It's the 21st century. Every grocery store bigger than a phone booth has a selection of healthy food. Even BIG LOTS! in Boone, NC.
Stop talking down to us.
By the way, you can use Walmart or Amazon online to drop ship a truckload of the "HEALTH FOOD" of your choice to any address in the USA.
Have a great hike!
Wayne

devoidapop
02-08-2018, 21:12
Couldn't you just order from Amazon or any other online retailer and ship it to yourself as you go? Hitching 20-30 miles to a health food store kind of sounds like a pita.

CRC
02-08-2018, 21:15
Since Amazon now sells Whole Foods do you think you could order online and have it shipped to a hostel along the trail? I have never thru hiked so I have no real experience with shipping to hostels but it might be an option you could explore. Also, Waynesboro VA (mile 861.9 NOBO) has some decent options at Martins Grocery. It would not be as close to the trail as the Kroger in town but there are plenty of trail angels and shuttles that could get you there. Martins has a good organic section and it is next to Wal-Mart for the nonfood items you need to pick up. Hope you have a great hike!

Venchka
02-08-2018, 21:17
3 in a row for online ordering.
It must be true.
Wayne

Dogwood
02-08-2018, 22:45
Specific resupply location lists are already available and widely analyzed. The knowledge is generally available. Google is your friend too. But, as said they aren't on one AT "healthy food" comprehensive list as far as I know that will satisfy each person's subjective definition of healthy...just as there is not one for the PCT.

Even though AT/east coast health food norms are generally behind the west coast especially in the southeast and somewhat the mid Atlantic compared overall to the PCT your AT resupply goals can be just as easily met as PCT resupplying IF, as you likely did on the PCT, and as I did thru hiking the PCT, expanding options beyond the likes of the health food store in Manchester and Hanover Co-Op as well as WFoods and TJ's. Don't expect those types of resupply stores to be personally conveniently abundant or spaced apart on the AT...just as they weren't on the PCT, at least for me. I think you will have to do some personal homework...just like you(and I) did as PCT thru-hikers.:)

This person did offer in context information based on personal AT healthier resupplying. I wasn't avoiding your questions. By expanding your(our) health food buying options to med to large mainstream grocery stores like Food Lion, Krogers, Publix, Wegmans, Hannofords, Stop& Shop, etc you'll(we'll) find more acceptable health food resupply options because all have alternative health food aisles/sections. Seek them out in the AT Thru-hiker Companion as well as the lists so many post on blogs? Work out your personal resupply from that just as you likely did for your PCT thru.

I was not referring to your questions as anal but our sometimes health food diets. :sun

Venchka
02-09-2018, 00:19
Add Harris-Teeter to Dogwood’s list of regional upscale supermarkets.
Boone, NC might be worth a side trip from Elk Park, NC. Boone has Earth Fare, Harris-Teeter and a new Publix supermarkets. And some awesome local micro breweries.
Wayne

jefals
02-09-2018, 11:24
There's an app called PCT. Similar to Guthook -- BUT it includes a shopping function. It's got the addresses along the way built in. You point/click to what you want to buy and point/click to where you want it sent. I think it's worth downloading to your phone and checking out.

jefals
02-09-2018, 13:14
There's an app called PCT. Similar to Guthook -- BUT it includes a shopping function. It's got the addresses along the way built in. You point/click to what you want to buy and point/click to where you want it sent. I think it's worth downloading to your phone and checking out.
OOPZ! Wrong trail! Sorry ..:confused: Well, maybe there's a similar one for the AT...

Dogwood
02-09-2018, 15:13

OOPZ! Wrong trail! Sorry ..:confused: Well, maybe there's a similar one for the AT...

Several companies do this. I already linked to Outdoor Herbivore and Zero Days. Trail Supply does it too. https://www.trailsupplyco.com/

You are right. They service multiple trails - the AT, PCT, JMT, and maybe the CDT and other hikes. Using any of these services is one way to solve the "I do not have someone to send resupply boxes" issue.

It also is one way to solve the health food dietary goals. Outdoor Herbivore can be thought of as an online health food store and shipping service option catering to health food conscious hikers demands rather than physically having to go into a bricks and mortar health food store.

Dogwood
02-09-2018, 15:49
If you're already anticipating shipping ahead 30 days of trail chow from a "health food store" location there's convenience incorporating buying from an online "health food vending store" and having them directly shipping to trail locations.

Health/healthier food options do not have to always be bought from a "health food titled store" or a brick and mortar location.

Dogwood
02-09-2018, 16:09
Marmot, a great AT trail town vibe with, off the top of my head, a Whole Foods, EarthFare, French Broad Food Co-op, a really good Farmer's Market, and many various health food markets, and eateries as well as nutritional products like supplements can widely be had in Asheville NC. There's an REI and several other outfitters. I think some hostels too. Great place to push boxes ahead! Aville is a bit off the AT but it should have everything you want as a thru. Besides, if you ship 30 days or so to on or very close to the AT resupply locations from here the resupply distance cumulatively might be very acceptable. You never mentioned how far you were willing to travel off the AT to meet your resupply goals. Aville is an outdoors town that see many overall hikers. https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=healthmarkets&find_loc=Asheville%2C+NC

Dogwood
02-09-2018, 16:54
Health food stores in Danville(around the Mcaffee Knob AT section), Waynesboro, and Front Royal(on the north or south ends of Shenandoah NP.

https://www.yellowpages.com/danville-va/health-food-grocery-stores (https://www.yellowpages.com/danville-va/health-food-grocery-storeshttps://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AwrJ7J67AX5a43UAnctXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2 NjY3OQRfcgMyBGZyA21jYWZlZQRncHJpZANxa3JGRFdrZ1FHcV JaWnVWSnBpNTRBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwMzBG9yaWdpbgNz ZWFyY2gueWFob28uY29tBHBvcwMwBHBxc3RyAwRwcXN0cmwDMA Rxc3RybAM0MARxdWVyeQN3YXluZXNib3JvJTIwdmElMjBoZWFs dGglMjBmb29kJTIwc3RvcmVzBHRfc3RtcAMxNTE4MjA3NTI5?p =waynesboro+va+health+food+stores&fr2=sb-top&fr=mcafee&type=B011US0D20170820)

I've been in Thrive. It should have what you need. I sent one box out from here(USPO was a separate hitch) and did one on the fly resupply. https://thrivemarket.com/landing/home4/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=newengen%20-%20Nonbrand%20-%20Generic%20-%20l_DP1%207086&utm_content=53298068760&utm_term=243897917466-kwd-488078685272&device=c&ccode=FIRST3&ccode_force=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi4LAt9OZ2QIVSY1-Ch3lGg_9EAAYASAAEgJjqPD_BwE

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AwrJ7J67AX5a43UAnctXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2 NjY3OQRfcgMyBGZyA21jYWZlZQRncHJpZANxa3JGRFdrZ1FHcV JaWnVWSnBpNTRBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwMzBG9yaWdpbgNz ZWFyY2gueWFob28uY29tBHBvcwMwBHBxc3RyAwRwcXN0cmwDMA Rxc3RybAM0MARxdWVyeQN3YXluZXNib3JvJTIwdmElMjBoZWFs dGglMjBmb29kJTIwc3RvcmVzBHRfc3RtcAMxNTE4MjA3NTI5?p =waynesboro+va+health+food+stores&fr2=sb-top&fr=mcafee&type=B011US0D20170820

I've done a resupply and food supplemented at Healthy Habits on two different occasions. https://www.superpages.com/bp/waynesboro-va/healthy-habits-L0135250951.htm?SRC=portals&lbp=1&PGID=dfwlnpyp608.8084.1518208815615.21554441506&bidType=FLCLIK&TR=77&bpp=1&T=Waynesboro&S=VA

Better Thymes in Front Royal I've been in. It will have what you need. FR also has a few Vegan and vegetarian friendly eateries. I've only on the fly resupplied from here. https://www.yellowpages.com/front-royal-va/mip/better-thymes-natural-foods-464361185?lid=464361185

I only recalled this after looking at a general full length 4 ft long AT poster map strip showing nearby towns. It's a very commonly seen map within 50 miles or so of the AT seen regularly on hostel walls and doors and the many other places that cater to AT enthusiasts. You can do the same and do some more of the research. It's sold by the ATC for $4. http://atctrailstore.org/planning/official-a-t-maps/appalachian-trail-poster-map-strip/

If I can be of any further help PM me with specifics. :sun

greenmtnboy
02-09-2018, 19:55
I am a professed health food junkie. I like bitter herbs (within reason) all good veggies, etc.. There were excellent health food stores along the AT, the ones in NJ, near DW Gap and NC were memorable.

Dogwood
02-09-2018, 23:53
Yup, jogged the memory Greenmntboy. In Stroudsburg PA a hitch or maybe shuttle bus ride from the Delaware Water Gap from the church hiker hostel folks is Earth something or another. It was near closing time the one time I visited. Didn't buy much but a few bars, cinnamon cowboy vegetarian chili, ginger and turmeric root, and bunch of fresh green onions. This was one of the priciest health food stores I ever spent 15 mins with my then uber frugal AT thru-hiking budget. Yeah, here it is: https://www.yelp.com/biz/earthlight-natural-foods-stroudsburg There was a med lg grocery store too I bought food otems. Whew that was 11 yrs ago.

Also from the southern Shenandoah NP area if wanting to head into a larger town than Waynesbooro VA to a greater number of heath food buying options one could make the longer hitch to Charlottesville VA to Rebecca's or Integral Yoga Natural Foods. I've never done this while hiking this but have been in Rebecca's or Integral Yoga and the Wfoods on a road trip once but I know of one vegetarian thru-hiker who did. He had family there where he took a few zeros. There are lg grocery stores as well as a Whole Foods he also bought resupply. I ask about these things and then tap some keys so that's how I know more. I didn't find these things in any one book, place, website, or list.

https://www.happycow.net/reviews/rebeccas-natural-foods-charlottesville-2591

http://iyfoods.com/

https://search.yahoo.com/local/s;_ylt=A0LEVzuman5aLSwAXANXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0a G5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=whole+foods+charlottesville+va&addr=Charlottesville%2C+VA&loc=woeid%3A2378489&selectedId=12754985&fr=mcafee

Venchka
02-10-2018, 21:35
“cinnamon cowboy vegetarian chili,”
Dogwood,
That would get you excommunicated from Texas!
Grinning. 😎👍😄
I have to admit I’m curious and intrigued.
Wayne

Dogwood
02-11-2018, 00:53
Here it is Venchka: https://www.instacart.com/schnucks/products/158502-cooksimple-cowboy-chili-mix-with-quinoa-and-cinnamon-6-1-oz

It's a nice twist on chili with the cinnamon and quinoa. Cooks faster than the directions on the box. Cut cook time by letting stand in hot water for a bit before eating. I add EVOO and fresh chopped green onion but there is no rule that says Vegan or vegetarian is the only possible way to eat healthier. Try adding some meat of limited amounts and possibly Organic free range. One of my omnivore hiking friends likes adding half a packet of chicken chunks to the onion and EVOO tweaks. Serving size can be tweaked to something more in line with a hungry hiker appetite expending much more than the daily RDA of 200o cals.

I see it at the Krogers grocery stores in my Atlanta area. Healthy food does not need to always come from a titled health food store anymore. Markets are responding to demand by customers that want to know what's in their food, where it comes from, how it arrives at their table, and for Organic. Even WallyWorlds have gotten into the Organic markets.

Marmot Moore
02-18-2018, 19:18
Thank you to those who were helpful. Found after some digging enough Natural Food stores within 20 miles of the trail to get me north to Harpers Ferry. Anyone with useful suggestions north of there that are in their areas would be appreciated. I'm looking for places to buy bulk organic dried veg,fruit,nuts ,veg dried soups and mixes
thank you in advance for any suggestions
Marmot

Puddlefish
02-18-2018, 20:16
I ran into a stretch down south where there were "Ingles". They had a considerably better selection, at a greater cost, of higher quality foods.

Dogwood
02-18-2018, 21:06
Stroudsburg PA @ DWG was already given.

In Pawling NY is a Hannofords Grocery a med sized grocery store location I've been able to health food resupply. If that isn't to your liking jump on the train in Pawling or at the seasonal AT TRAIN location stops and ride to Peekskill or Poughkeepsie two larger cities.

JJ505
02-19-2018, 21:30
“cinnamon cowboy vegetarian chili,”
Dogwood,
That would get you excommunicated from Texas!
Grinning. ������
I have to admit I’m curious and intrigued.
Wayne

In NM as well. Though I think chili is more a Texas thing. I think cinnamon in savory food is kind of an Indian thing.

Dogwood
02-20-2018, 01:23
Having all those four words in one phrase is apt to turn some off in NM and TX :) cinnamon, cowboy, vegetarian, chili :D

Venchka
02-20-2018, 09:02
LOL!
Some of us aren’t really concerned with tradition. Taste matters!
I can’t locate the original product through your link or searching on my own. Out Of Stock is all I get.
The cooking directions are daunting.
Mountain House Chili Mac still rules for me.
Wayne

kestral
02-20-2018, 12:19
The ingles in Hiawassi ( north Georgia) has a very nice section with bins of various nuts and grains and lots of fresh produce. Lots of hiker friendly options. Also a Starbucks and a bakery. https://www.ingles-markets.com/store-locations Ingles is a grocery chain in the south east. Some are more upscale than others. I usually go there when in the area. It’s an easy hitch or use Top of Georgia shuttle.

Ethesis
02-20-2018, 15:02
Amazon owns Whole Foods. Prime ships every for free. Consider that for resupply boxes.

Venchka
02-20-2018, 15:11
Amazon owns Whole Foods. Prime ships every for free. Consider that for resupply boxes.
At least the 4th suggestion for online resupply.
Another 👍👍 for the Ingles stores.
Wayne