PDA

View Full Version : Motel Choice in Erwin, TN

Rightfoot
02-08-2018, 15:52
Looking to start a multi-week section in Erwin and looking for recommendations where to stay the first night. We have and international arrival and we will not be into town until at least midnight. Uncle Johnny's might be an option but a late arrival like that and access to a cabin (hostel could be full) might be tough. I see the Best Southern Motel and the Mountain Inn Suites are very close and will allow free parking on property for multiple weeks. Any feedback on either facility or other options close by would be appreciated.
Thanks

Gambit McCrae
02-08-2018, 16:55
I would chose from 1 of the 2 hotels you mentioned. IMO johnys is a good resupply// lunch stop but it low on the totem pole when it comes to a clean and sanitary place. It has been nasty everytime I have been. I also have not been in about 2 years so I may be out of date.

Christoph
02-08-2018, 17:26
+1 what Gambit said. It hasn't changed.

dudeijuststarted
02-08-2018, 17:40
I used mountain inn suites. It was basically a holiday inn express, suited me just fine and I'm picky.

MuddyWaters
02-08-2018, 17:51
Johnson City is only 20 min from Erwin.
That late, what's the big rush to get to Erwin?

More hotel choices there.
But depends on where you coming from maybe.
Mountain inn works

I would stay at most any $70 class hotel before UJ if have $ and transportion. I've stayed n cabins there, it's clean enough , but really shabby for the $. Not worth $35 Imo, even for 1 person. Think 9*9 unpainted plywood box, with a few old beat up garage sale furniture items in it, and you get picture.

You will want to eat breakfast in town in morning anyway. Staying at uj and driving back makes no sense. Unless on really tight budget.

I'm cheap, really cheap, but even at $35 you feel ripped off for what you get at UJ. Some bargains just aren't worth it when a few more $ gets you spacious clean comfortable hotel with a in room shower nearby. I think I paid $55 at red roof inn in Johnson city once a few yrs back. $20 and world apart.

goatee
02-08-2018, 18:01
I read on WB that Mountain Inn used to allow free parking even if not a guest when on The AT.Seems like a good place to leave a vehicle.

MuddyWaters
02-08-2018, 18:04
Uncle Johnny's is a fine place to leave vehicle . It's on the trail practically, nothing easier. Couple $ per day. Sometimes free if they arrange you shuttle. Take shower before hitting road if end hike there too.

SouthMark
02-08-2018, 20:49
I have stayed at Mountain Inn several times. Nice place and formally a Holiday Inn. They did offer hiker rates and may still. Free parking even if you are not staying. Friendly staff.

Lone Wolf
02-08-2018, 20:58
Mountain Inn. search no further

Captain Blue
02-09-2018, 13:18
Mountain Inn is my recommendation. I stayed there in July. Beware that they still have smoking rooms. If you ask for the hiker rate and a non-smoking room, you'll get put on a floor with smoking rooms. The whole floor smelled like cigarette smoke. Request a non-smoking room and floor.