PDA

View Full Version : lightweight synthetic quilts?

blw2
02-09-2018, 23:24
Point me to some good makers of synthetic quilts....

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new quilt. I'm thinking a UGQBandit 20 degree
but I want to compare against some sythetic options. I'm willing to pay to get light but I'm not wanting to spend a fortune either.... I like that the synthetics may not be quite so bad in damp conditions, although I'm sure i could manage down just fine for what I'm doing....

I'm not a through hiker or serious long distance guy, just getting into doing some short local trips and hope to start getting up to the mountains for a 1 week or so section this summer, and maybe again every year or so.....
I have a BA Kings Canyon quilt that has been pretty good for me in summer conditions, down to 50 or a bit lower.... I'm becoming more sensitive to cold as I get older, and my colder weather bag is just to big and heavy.

red5
02-10-2018, 06:03
Enlightened Equipment has a synthetic line. They are heavier than their down counterparts but quite a bit lighter than a sleeping bag still.

cmoulder
02-10-2018, 18:54
Check out Enlightened Equipment's Revelation APEX (https://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-apex/) quilts.

I have the 40deg Apex quilt and it weighs 17.7 oz. Made with 10D inside and out, which is plenty durable for me. 20D adds unnecessary weight and bulk. Below about 30deg rating I would just go with down.

JC13
02-10-2018, 20:24
I like the EE APEX Enigma, If anything gets cold it is my feet so the sewn footbox and the lighter weight due to it work great for me. 40* Reg/Reg weighs 15.94oz. I have a new(after their revision on fill weights), 50* EE APEX Enigma and it weighs 11.47oz in a Long/Wide.

blw2
02-10-2018, 20:24
thanks, I guess I saw those a long time back when I wasn't thinking synthetic..... can't believe I didn't remember them. Must be about the only good option..... Anyway, Thanks for the steer back on track.

some random name
02-11-2018, 21:32
I own a jimmy tarp synth quilt, nice quality. You can contact by Facebook to him and ask, he makes custom. Mines a 20 degree apex fill 2015 and cost 150. Also own EE quilt excellent,can't go wrong with them either.

wordstew
02-12-2018, 11:51
You might want to check out Thermarest technical blankets. I have the Proton (18oz) and they can pack down incredibly small and can be found online for about $60.00

Dogwood
02-12-2018, 11:55
Just Bill should be an excellent source of info as well. He's a WB member.

jboggg
02-12-2018, 21:05
Check out the synthetic quilts at arrowhead-equipment.com. Great value for a quality product. Paul customized my top quilt and only charged $10 extra for the width. Great customer service and pricing.