PDA

View Full Version : Hyke and Byke Sleeping bag

BLRBrennan
02-10-2018, 21:04
I am thinking of ordering this sleeping bag, because I am on a budget and planning a thru hike starting in mid March NOBO. Does anyone have any experience with this bag? People say it’s a good bag only worried about warmth and durability. Looks like a fine bag for weekend trips not too sure about a thru hike. Also it is a little heavy but nothing crazy.

PS this is my first post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhutt
02-10-2018, 22:50
Hey, I have no real experience with the bag, but I too was looking to buy one of their bags and reached out to them with some questions and...they never responded! That was may answer I guess. Take into account that they add feather to the down. Maybe some positive, but many negative. Here is what I ended up buying (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075MSHKB4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Haven't had it out in the field yet, but was happy with what I saw.

BLRBrennan
02-11-2018, 01:29
Hey, I have no real experience with the bag, but I too was looking to buy one of their bags and reached out to them with some questions and...they never responded! That was may answer I guess. Take into account that they add feather to the down. Maybe some positive, but many negative. Here is what I ended up buying (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075MSHKB4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Haven't had it out in the field yet, but was happy with what I saw.

Thanks! I’ve heard good things about OV but never have looked into this, may end up getting this.

mhutt
02-11-2018, 08:40
Thanks! I’ve heard good things about OV but never have looked into this, may end up getting this.

I am on a tight budget for my trip and REALLY needed to reduce weight. By purchasing this bag, I reduced almost 2lbs and with it being a 2017 closeout, I saved like $50. OV on the other hand, responded to my question quickly (by next day).

nsherry61
02-11-2018, 12:13
If you guys are looking for inexpensive bags that have some kind of a decent reputation for thru-hiking type use, I would look into a Kelty Cosmic Down bag. I would strongly discourage cutting corners on sleeping bags or backpacks for extended used, like thru-hiking. Most of the rest of your gear you can cut corners on, but those two items are too central to success and to hard to make highly functional without a fairly high level of both materials and workmanship.

dwcoyote
02-11-2018, 12:28
I have the Outdoor Vitals 20 degree Summit bag and have about 30 nights sleeping in it. Most of my use is with the night time temperature range of 23-32 degrees and the bag has keep me completely warm. I am completely satisfied with this bag.

JoeVogel
02-12-2018, 12:19
That OV bag looks pretty decent for the price and has really great reviews. I wouldn't call this bag Cutting corners, I would say it is sacrificing a little weight for a better price. If I hadn't just purchased a UGQ Bandit Quilt this is probably what I would have gone with.

saltysack
02-12-2018, 12:52
Check out HG Econ quilts...

hipbone
02-12-2018, 15:37
Check out HG Econ quilts...

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkTHIS ^^^

I've had a Hammock Gear Burrow for years and it's one of my favorite pieces of equipment. When they released the Econ versions I was pretty shocked at the price vs. quality. Made in the USA per your specifications by hikers...only a few companies offer that

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk