PDA

View Full Version : Sickness and a thru hike

Blissful
02-10-2006, 20:23
Since I currently have a cold and have NO energy - I was wondering how you handled sickness while on a thru hike - not anything major, but like a cold, flu, etc. Stories about it, what you did about medicines, tissue for runny nose (yeah, ugh, but I can go through a box of it!) etc. :confused:

Thanks!

Lone Wolf
02-10-2006, 20:38
Get in a motel and watch lotsa golf, Beavis and Butthead and drink lotsa beer. About 3 days.

Smooth
02-10-2006, 22:11
I was amazed at how healthy I became on the Thru-Hike. I think all of the exericse and water did me good. My torn foot tendon got so strong that 10 years later and still no problem (had been since I was 8 or 9). The clickie knee grew silent and gave me no problems.

However, I did get 'sick' on the Hike.

It was killer hot for days(Penn).......one day I woke up weak and only hiked for about 10 miles. I crashed at about 3:00pm and woke up the next morning. I scouted up some unmarked water and moved my camp about 300feet. The next morning I was fine, I double quick hiked to the next food place and ate extra extra.

No problems after that, just too much hiking in the heat.

On that day (being that I really was thru-hiking) there was no place to bail out to.

mweinstone
02-10-2006, 23:31
you no sicky now!

fiddlehead
02-10-2006, 23:54
yeah, i rarel;y ever got sick on a thru-hike. I do carry echinacea and take it the moment i feel a sore throat coming on. I believe that helps me to fight off any sickness that is trying to penetrate. Just have fun and don't be looking for things to go wrong. (or the might)

Brock
02-13-2006, 10:52
Last year about 8 of us all got sick at one time in Erwin TN. Miss Janet was a great help with her hospitality. I was laid up for about 2 days of actually being sick and then another couple of days recouperating and getting stronger again.

shaggy2004
02-13-2006, 11:07
I got sick twice on the trail. The first time was a stomach thing that I got my second night out from Amicolola. That was not pleasant. I just went shelter to shelter until I got to neels, where I got off the trail for a few days to recover some strength from eating almost nothing for almost 3 days. :( The next time was some sinus cold thing in PA which lasted a lot longer but wasn't nearly as severe. I took a couple of nero days in Duncanon and then headed on at pretty much regular mileage eventhough I felt pretty sapped for about a week. As far as blowing your nose is concerned, don't worry about tissues - just aim your head in a safe direction and blow. You don't even need to stop walking. If your nose runs enough you'll quickly get used to the idea. :jump

RedneckRye
02-13-2006, 11:14
I came down with an upper respiratory infection just south of Franklin NC (I seem to get one every other winter or so). The last day walking into town sucked - horrible sore throat, zero energy, coughing up all kinds of nastiness, etc. I took a cab to an urgent care place. The doc was great, she knew about the trail and the usual hiker ailments, gave me a shot of anitbiotics in the rear, and prescriptions for a decongestant sort of thing and a big bottle of codeine cough syrup. I spent the rest of the day and the next in bed. The day after that I felt OK, not great, but well enough to continue walking north. I treated my health situation pretty much as I would have if I had been at home when it happened.
Oh yeah, a big bottle of codeine cough syrup will make you not care that it is cold, rainy, and your feet kinda hurt.