PDA

View Full Version : The most thrilling and dangerous trails in America

John B
02-11-2018, 20:06
https://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/article/The-most-thrilling-and-dangerous-trails-12579002.php

moldy
02-11-2018, 21:14
Not as dangerous as Rock Creek Park in DC

TX Aggie
02-11-2018, 23:57
Not as dangerous as Rock Creek Park in DC

Daaamn......

Can’t say I disagree on that one.

HooKooDooKu
02-12-2018, 00:26
The most thrilling and dangerous trails in America
Dangerous?
I'll give you the "dangerous" part when it comes to things like going up Denali.
But Bright Angel trail in Grand Canyon and Abrams Falls in Smoky Mountains? Dangerous? Give me a break.

Dogwood
02-12-2018, 02:15
Umm, Mt Hua Shuan isn't in any America I'm aware.

Because of articles like this it has gotten harder to do the Haiku Stairs. It was already an illegal trespassing hike when the article was written. If we're going to start listing most dangerous trails/routes as The Maze and Haiku Stairs that involve routes and illegal activity this article is a joke. Pictures are mostly cool though. Adventure risk junkies usually out to make a name for themselves or wanting to do something they assume is epic w notoriety have made most of these much lower tier compared to 100 more that could be listed. Many are attainable though.

Possibly more dangerous are common trails under extremely dangerous conditions...doing a slot canyon in the rain, during a lightning storm caught on a ridgeline, during a whiteout on Mt Washington in winter late for dinner with the GF inclined to nagging waiting at the car, hiking in polar bear territory with a can of open oily sardines hanging off the back of a pack, playing leapfrog down a Yosemite trail with three black bear cubs while smeared in PB(wait till momma comes home), cresting across the top of a 200 ft slippery frozen waterfall during winter as a hiker on a suicide mission(perhaps otherwise known as having to get that unique selfie)....

Leo L.
02-12-2018, 05:21
Funny collection of "most thrilling and dangerous hikes".
One might all put into perspective:
While doing the Bright Angle hike (and yes, it's really a great piece) we didn't think much of it being dangerous, it being very well protected by chains and rebar.
But then we saw this tiny guy dancing around in a small shrub protruding out over the abyss:
That was when our hearts stopped for some moments.

MuddyWaters
02-12-2018, 06:47
Bright Angel is without question the SAFEST trail in the grand canyon national park.

Leo L.
02-12-2018, 06:57
So sorry...
Please make this "Angels Landing" in Zion, instead of "Bright Angel".

In GC, better avoid the copters, it seems.

jjozgrunt
02-12-2018, 07:49
Judging by some of the comments on FB and other sites anywhere there are a lot of women can be a very dangerous trail for a poor colonial bushwalker like me.

Leo L.
02-12-2018, 08:44
You didn't confuse this with the Camino, which seems reportedly be kind of a dating trip?

rocketsocks
02-12-2018, 09:13
Judging by some of the comments on FB and other sites anywhere there are a lot of women can be a very dangerous trail for a poor colonial bushwalker like me.even Jack Dublin “the wild colonial boy” knows not to bush whack down under