PDA

View Full Version : AT Thru hike Bucket list

Kulliman
02-12-2018, 01:06
Is there available somewhere a list of all the things one might want to do or see while thru hiking the AT?

Heliotrope
02-12-2018, 08:17
Sounds like a very personal thing. Depends on what interests you. There are interesting towns, urban centers, historical landmarks, and scenic wonders that not on the actual route. Perhaps do a search for the types of things you like along the AT corridor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
02-12-2018, 08:56
I'm guessing you're looking for a list of hiker traditions or highlights that you may want to make sure to see or do?

Here is a list of ten. (https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/appalachian-trail-hiker-traditions/)

Kulliman
02-12-2018, 09:03
A list of hiker traditions is exactly it. I agree it is a personal thing, that is why I am looking for a comprehensive list to see which of them might interest me. I know there are many.

swjohnsey
02-12-2018, 11:07
I'm guessing you're looking for a list of hiker traditions or highlights that you may want to make sure to see or do?

Here is a list of ten. (https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/appalachian-trail-hiker-traditions/)

6/10..........

nsherry61
02-12-2018, 11:10
6/10..........
So, which did you opt out of?

swjohnsey
02-12-2018, 11:34
Lost my rock, didn't hang off McAfee Knob, didn't jump off the James River Bridge (remember Momm's advice, didn't confess. Never confess!

JPritch
02-12-2018, 15:43
James River Bridge....is there adequate depth throughout there to do it or is it all a crapshoot? I hate jumping into water when you can't see the bottom...too many horror stories.

Gambit McCrae
02-12-2018, 15:59
James River Bridge....is there adequate depth throughout there to do it or is it all a crapshoot? I hate jumping into water when you can't see the bottom...too many horror stories.

It is illegal.

nsherry61
02-12-2018, 16:16
It is illegal.
As are many acts of love in many parts of the world, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be done.

Tennessee Viking
02-12-2018, 16:20
My so far and done has been
Springer Mtn summit
Blood Mtn summit
Standing Indian
Clingmans Dome
Max Patch
Exposed Trail near Camp Creek
Shelton Laurel graves
Big Bald
Unaka
Roan/Humps
Uncle Nick's grave
Mt Rogers/Graysons

Slo-go'en
02-12-2018, 17:00
Just concentrate on getting all the way to the top of Katahdin!

rickb
02-12-2018, 17:41
Some for the bucket:

Moose
Black Bear
Rattle Snake

Porqupine
Skunk (needs to be in a shelter to count)

Spruce Grouse
White Troated Sparrow (Song gets 1/2 credit)
Grey Jay (Photo of it on your person required to count)

Barred or Great Horned
Large Kettle of Hawks (SOBOs only)

Leeches (to add some color to future story telling)

Eastern Box Turtle (Extra credit if it speaks to you)

Manhattan Skyline from Trail

Future Spouse (If single at time of meeting only)

Empty shelter (partial credit for campsite 1500 meters away from anyone else)

Cheshire Cheese Monument (OK, that one is a stretch)

4eyedbuzzard
02-13-2018, 10:59
I believe mooning the cog as a tradition has died off a lot in recent years after arrests started being made some years back. I don't know if they are still arresting people for doing it, but about 10 years ago there was a flurry of law enforcement activity regarding this. Arrests by NFS rangers and NH state police, and even some hikers brought up on federal charges. Not worth the risk, IMO.

swjohnsey
02-13-2018, 13:06

Apparently. Saw lots of kids doin' it (not that!) when I was crossing.

James GAME2009
02-15-2018, 15:45
In addition to what has been posted, a few more to consider are enjoying the hot springs in Hot Springs and attempting the Summit Sundae challenge at the AT Cafe after summiting Katahdin.

Slo-go'en
02-15-2018, 16:09
Arrests by NFS rangers and NH state police, and even some hikers brought up on federal charges. Not worth the risk, IMO.

It was basically a one time event. The Cog was getting complaints from prudish passengers and decided to make an example out of a few unsuspecting hikers. I know the Trooper on Cog detail, his stories about it are hilarious.

Gambit McCrae
02-15-2018, 17:13
As are many acts of love in many parts of the world, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be done.

RULE BREAKER :P

Too many bucket list items and the thru hike will probably turn into a section hike. IMO I would make the hike itself the bucket list item and once it is complete, go find putts around stuff to do in life

Its about the journey not the destination.. blah blah blah I know :)

Astro
02-17-2018, 20:06
Just concentrate on getting all the way to the top of Katahdin!

That one works for me.

Grampie
02-17-2018, 23:42
Hikers with time on their hands try to think of these traditions that don’t really exist. The only true tradition is to walk from Spring to KAthadin.