PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Explain This Please

wordstew
02-12-2018, 18:14
So I've been looking at an Exped Synmat HL Sleeping Pad and comparing it to the Exped Airmat HL Sleeping Pad. Both are same dimensions 72 x 25.6/16.5 x 2.8 inches.

The Exped Synmat MW weighs 14.6 ounces R value 3.3
The Exped Airmat MW weighs 13.2 ounces R value 1.7

So there's a 1.4 ounce difference and a 1.6 R value difference.

Does this make sense that you can get an additional 1.6 of r value with 1.4 ounces of material

Just comparing the two because one is roughly double the price....

egilbe
02-12-2018, 18:44
One is insulated. One is not so much. Don't need alot of extra insulation to add to the R-value, but I bet is much more difficult to.manufacture.

tflaris
02-12-2018, 18:46
https://cnocoutdoors.com/blogs/blog/all-about-r-values

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyoming
02-12-2018, 18:53
Choose based upon what your expected weather conditions are and your personal comfort experiences (some sleep colder than others).

The first pad is a spring-fall season pad and the second is a summer pad.

Having backpacked in temps down to -30F I can assure you the R factors are real and meaningful. If you are laying on a block of ice at -30F it does not matter what the temp rating of your bag is if you don't have insulation underneath you.

Slo-go'en
02-12-2018, 18:53
With "
Texpedloft Microfibre" insulation at 60g/m2, that's 2.4 oz for a square meter, so they must use a little less then 60g of insulation and that is enough to give the 1.6 bump in R value.

Man, that site has a lot of mats to pick from!

wordstew
02-12-2018, 19:26
https://cnocoutdoors.com/blogs/blog/all-about-r-values

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thnx for the link

Dogwood
02-12-2018, 22:08
So I've been looking at an Exped Synmat HL Sleeping Pad and comparing it to the Exped Airmat HL Sleeping Pad. Both are same dimensions 72 x 25.6/16.5 x 2.8 inches.

The Exped Synmat MW weighs 14.6 ounces R value 3.3
The Exped Airmat MW weighs 13.2 ounces R value 1.7

So there's a 1.4 ounce difference and a 1.6 R value difference.

Does this make sense that you can get an additional 1.6 of r value with 1.4 ounces of material

Just comparing the two because one is roughly double the price....

Yes....

Double the price though? There are cheaper ways to component increase the R Value and warmth. Try a $3 aluminized mylar, aluminized polyester - SOL space blanket for a ground sheet under your pad. See if you sleep warmer.

wordstew
02-13-2018, 09:30
Yes....

Double the price though? There are cheaper ways to component increase the R Value and warmth. Try a $3 aluminized mylar, aluminized polyester - SOL space blanket for a ground sheet under your pad. See if you sleep warmer.

I was thinking along similar lines. Could I add something of minimal weight and price to get the same R value or better using cheaper Exped mat.

egilbe
02-13-2018, 10:08
I was thinking along similar lines. Could I add something of minimal weight and price to get the same R value or better using cheaper Exped mat.
For the same weight? Doubtful. Dead air space is the best insulator. A reflective mylar blanket may add .25 R-value, but how many of those are you going to have to buy? They aren't known to be very durable. At the end of the day, you are still going to be sleeping on an uninsulated bag of cold air.

Venchka
02-13-2018, 10:29
Buy one and done.
Buy the last air mattress that you’ll ever need first. R-5 minimum. The most economical way to go.
Two R-2.5 foam pads might cost a little bit less. You could use one at a time for versatility. The combined weight and bulk will greatly exceed a single air mattress.
If you want to sleep on the ground in the real winter you will need both: R-5 mattress and R-2.5 foam pad.
Wayne

LittleTim
02-13-2018, 23:07
Buy one and done.
Buy the last air mattress that you’ll ever need first. R-5 minimum. The most economical way to go.
Two R-2.5 foam pads might cost a little bit less. You could use one at a time for versatility. The combined weight and bulk will greatly exceed a single air mattress.
If you want to sleep on the ground in the real winter you will need both: R-5 mattress and R-2.5 foam pad.
Wayne
^^^^^^^^This advice I'll second^^^^^^^^
I'll be as bold as to say that you cannot go wrong, year round with a quality, high r-value mattress. Modify every other part of your 'sleep system' around anticipated conditions, the mattress remains a constant. I don't know about that manufacturer or model, but I'm 100% happy I splurged on this one part of my gear early on.
Cheers.