PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Notch Li

MtDoraDave
02-13-2018, 17:53
An hour ago, Tarptent updated their teaser and revealed that they are making a Notch in Cuben fiber!!!
More to come, like price and specs... but this is what I've wished for!

kibs
02-13-2018, 18:14
An hour ago, Tarptent updated their teaser and revealed that they are making a Notch in Cuben fiber!!!
More to come, like price and specs... but this is what I've wished for!

I just spoke to Henry Shires. pricing will be out in a couple days. expect the Notch to be appx 8oz less than original Notch

Venchka
02-13-2018, 18:29
26 - 8 = 18 ounces?
Hmmmmmmm....
I’m hanging on to my SS1.
Wayne

Franco
02-13-2018, 20:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSPHPQ_fydA

Coffee
02-13-2018, 20:56
Without a price tag, it's impossible to say much, other than that for a couple of ounces more, you can get a MUCH more spacious shelter from zPacks.

Gambit McCrae
02-14-2018, 09:04
I am disappointed but holding out for other tent options. I would hope that Henry has done R n D prior to coming out with a lineup like this and know what he has to be competitive with, otherwise your just making your loyal customer, a little more happy instead of gaining more business. I would have like to see 2-3 tents revealed in the beginning. Ranging in size and to present the people with everything up front. Market the tent, and include specs and price. I would also have to say as coffee has that it is pretty much a no brainer from a weight perspective to go with a zpacks duplex over the TT Notch for another 2 oz and double the room. This leads me to believe that Henrey's price point will be a good chunk less than zpacks, otherwise...

Cheyou
02-14-2018, 12:48
Wow lots of boo bears . I think it’s a great tent. Lots of venting. It makes my short list.

Thom

Venchka
02-14-2018, 13:27
26 - 8 = 18 ounces?
Hmmmmmmm....
I’m hanging on to my SS1.
Wayne
As usual, I spoke too soon.
19.5 ounces according to the TarpTent web page.
Wayne

Venchka
02-14-2018, 13:33
Wow lots of boo bears . I think it’s a great tent. Lots of venting. It makes my short list.

Thom
Double wall. Part solid inner maybe? Use the rainfly alone. Quoted weight is all up in useable configuration.
I do appreciate leaving my SS1 solid inner in the car whenever possible.
Not knocking the Notch Lithium. My SS1 is less than a year old. I'm good.
Wayne

Franco
02-14-2018, 17:02
If everybody based their shelter purchase on weight only , we would all be under an open tarp.

Venchka
02-14-2018, 17:11
If everybody based their shelter purchase on weight only , we would all be under an open tarp.
My sentiments exactly.
Weight is usually well down on my list of selection criteria.
Wayne

Franco
02-14-2018, 17:28
The last two would be TT customers I demonstrated our products to both were changing from the same brand (not mentioned in this thread) because of lack of weather protection. So both were looking for a lightweight product that offered better protection than what they had.
( I don't sell them, just look after enquiries...)
For others it has to do with internal space , often headroom.
Something similar happened when I was selling cameras.
Many opted for the smallest of the type for some to later realise that it was too small for their hands.

jgillam
02-14-2018, 18:38
I can't wait to see the whole thing. To me it looks like an alternative to the Solplex without the sloping roof. Even if it is heavier, I've looked at enough of Henry's designs to know that he will be bringing something different (potentionally exceptional) to the table.

I kinda hope it's unreasonably priced....only as a means to prevent me from buying one. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MtDoraDave
02-14-2018, 19:44
Only a couple ounces, but the TT weights include stakes and guy lines.

The reason I bought a Notch was FOR the smaller size. I have a two person tent, and among other issues, it took up too much space costing extra time, work, or simply having to settle for a bad spot.
Perhaps he's testing the waters with the light weight option first, and if it's a success he may try the stratospire 1 and 2.

Elaikases
02-14-2018, 19:54
The last two would be TT customers I demonstrated our products to both were changing from the same brand (not mentioned in this thread) because of lack of weather protection. So both were looking for a lightweight product that offered better protection than what they had.
( I don't sell them, just look after enquiries...)
For others it has to do with internal space , often headroom.
Something similar happened when I was selling cameras.
Many opted for the smallest of the type for some to later realise that it was too small for their hands.

Appreciate your comments.

I was hoping for a 2p tent.

Though what is interesting to see is the tents given without weight for all the necessary stakes and those that have the weight with "everything everything"

Coffee
02-14-2018, 20:25

For me it is weight in a shelter that is bug-proof and has enough room to keep my gear inside, with cost an important but secondary consideration.

Franco
02-14-2018, 21:29
"Though what is interesting to see is the tents given without weight for all the necessary stakes and those that have the weight with "everything everything"
There is a brand that used to send out some shelters with 1 g stakes . Nobody used them, apart for the occasional non supporting tie out , but it could still be claimed that stakes were included.
Mind you, I still have to see one type of stake that everybody likes.
(why don't manufacturers supply the stakes that I like... , sort of comment )

MtDoraDave
02-16-2018, 07:55
I can't wait to see the whole thing. To me it looks like an alternative to the Solplex without the sloping roof. Even if it is heavier, I've looked at enough of Henry's designs to know that he will be bringing something different (potentionally exceptional) to the table.

I kinda hope it's unreasonably priced....only as a means to prevent me from buying one. Lol

It looks like an exact replica of the Notch, but made out of cuben. If you aren't familiar with the Notch, there are lots of pics and a set-up video on their website.
Two good sized vestibules, two doors, under a minute to pitch, etc.

My first tent was a two person tent, primarily because when car camping, I like my stuff laid out inside the tent next to me and thought that I'd need that backpacking, too. Turns out I don't need that. The ice (mice) thread and others I've read here let me know that if a critter wants to get into your pack, they will chew through your screen or tent to get to in. Also, leaning my pack against the trekking pole in the vestibule is just outside the zippered door and easily accessible from a sitting position inside the tent.
The vestibules are large and low enough that nothing has gotten wet when it rains - except the waist band of my pack once when I was careless about placement.

The left and right side are identical, which saves time if pitching in the rain; no need to figure out which end is which.

The "beak" vestibule on my Squall 2 (the predecessor to the Motrail) was velcroed rather than zippered. The Notch is zippered. I much prefer the zipper, even if it weighs an ounce or two more than velcro.

soumodeler
02-16-2018, 19:14
Pricing just announced: $650!!!

Sorry, but for that price, a Zpacks Solplex is a better bargain. More floor space, longer, lighter, and cheaper.

I love my Notch, but no way would I buy it again at that price vs the competition.

Coffee
02-16-2018, 19:51
Pricing just announced: $650!!!

OMG ...

so much for my hope for zPacks to experience pressure on pricing ... love zPacks but was hoping they would have to cut prices due to competition. Nope!

Elaikases
02-16-2018, 20:39
"Though what is interesting to see is the tents given without weight for all the necessary stakes and those that have the weight with "everything everything"
There is a brand that used to send out some shelters with 1 g stakes . Nobody used them, apart for the occasional non supporting tie out , but it could still be claimed that stakes were included.
Mind you, I still have to see one type of stake that everybody likes.
(why don't manufacturers supply the stakes that I like... , sort of comment )

;)

I'm big on replacing the stakes for the most part ...

Franco
02-16-2018, 20:45
The product page is up with photos and specs :
http://www.tarptent.com/notchli.html

Venchka
02-16-2018, 20:57
;)

I'm big on replacing the stakes for the most part ...
Conversely I was glad that my inventory of Easton stakes doubled when I bought my SS1. I now have a dozen of the Easton 8 3/4" x 0.375 inch stakes. I use them with all 3 of my tents.
Wayne

TX Aggie
02-18-2018, 00:55
The product page is up with photos and specs :
http://www.tarptent.com/notchli.html

$649?!?!?

I like the idea of TT shelters, but an extra $50 for 2oz savings and smaller interior space?

I’m not so sure about this one, I’ll wait for the reviews to come out.

Franco
02-18-2018, 05:24
$649?!?!?

I like the idea of TT shelters, but an extra $50 for 2oz savings and smaller interior space?

I’m not so sure about this one, I’ll wait for the reviews to come out.
The standard silnylon Notch with mesh inner (sil floor) is 27 oz , $314 .
So you pay an extra $335 to save 7 oz.
I did a comparison with a couple of Terra Nova shelters that also come out in silnylon and Cuben, their Cuben version, per oz saved, are more expensive.
(https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/terra-nova-m18)
If you buy the Notch Li with the silnylon floor mesh inner (instead of the DCF inner) , the weight goes up 2oz but you save $50.

Puddlefish
02-18-2018, 09:41
Without a price tag, it's impossible to say much, other than that for a couple of ounces more, you can get a MUCH more spacious shelter from zPacks.

On some nights, I was able to squeeze my less spacious Notch onto the only flat piece of ground for miles. I'm able to sleep, change clothes, take a sponge bath, read, and even set up a short clothesline to dry a piece of clothing overnight inside the Notch. My pack fit in the vestibule, my loose gear fit in the tent. I noticed a 10° temperature change from inside to outside the tent, so I suspect my body heat warms that small space efficiently. I'm only 5'10", and have no idea what I'd do with more space.

We all have different needs based on our hiking styles, height and what not. Just pointing out that more isn't always better.

TX Aggie
02-18-2018, 11:43
The standard silnylon Notch with mesh inner (sil floor) is 27 oz , $314 .
So you pay an extra $335 to save 7 oz.
I did a comparison with a couple of Terra Nova shelters that also come out in silnylon and Cuben, their Cuben version, per oz saved, are more expensive.
(https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/terra-nova-m18)
If you buy the Notch Li with the silnylon floor mesh inner (instead of the DCF inner) , the weight goes up 2oz but you save $50.

Yeah, I left out that I was comparing to the Duplex. For the full Dynema TT, it’s $50 more and smaller space than the Duplex. I was hoping it would be more competitive than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee
02-18-2018, 12:17
Puddlefish makes a good point on the footprint of the shelters. I enjoy the room in my hexamid twin but it does indeed take a larger site and has, at times, been slightly problematic. One reason I haven't purchased the zpacks duplex is the even larger required land needed to pitch it.

StubbleJumper
02-18-2018, 15:30
I'm still rocking my TarpTent Contrail, and I too have found that its size is a serious constraint on the campsites that I can use. Working from memory, the Contrail is 9 feet long, so in practical terms I pretty much need a spot that's about 12 feet long and about 7 feet wide. I've squeezed into smaller spaces, but it's awkward as hell.

My Contrail only has about 3,000 miles on it, and I plan to do about 1,000 miles more in 2018. I'm guessing that I'll be buying something next off-season and it'll probably be a tent with a slightly shorter footprint.

Franco
02-18-2018, 17:29
Yeah, I left out that I was comparing to the Duplex. For the full Dynema TT, it’s $50 more and smaller space than the Duplex. I was hoping it would be more competitive than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Duplex is a tarp tent, fly with attached floor and side mesh.
The notch is a double wall tent so not exactly comparable.
The end struts of the Notch add to the manufacturing cost but allows for a shorter footprint.

jgillam
02-18-2018, 18:54
Other than weight and cost, this tent has a lot of great things to offer. I hate that it's $650...because I'm probably going to order one anyway.

BuckeyeBill
02-18-2018, 20:04
I have a regular Notch and use it when a grand kid wants to go with me. It weighs in at 28 oz. Stated weight for the Notch Li is 19.9 oz. a difference of 8.1 oz. Regular Notch is $314.00 compared to $649.00 for the lighter Notch. A simple cost analysis comes out to $41.35 per oz. saved. I love my Notch but cannot justify $41.35 per oz. Here's hoping Henry can bring the price down in the future.

Franco
02-18-2018, 20:39
Just to add to my comparison above (cost of sil vs DCF) another manufacturer that sells both has one with a 3 oz saving for $175, ($58 per oz) , another one is 5 oz less for $325 ( $65 per oz) another saves 7 oz for $435 ($62)

BuckeyeBill
02-18-2018, 20:55
Sorry Franco, didn't mean to step on your toes ie message.

MtDoraDave
02-18-2018, 22:40
I just noticed that "new for 2018" the silnylon Notch ALSO has zipper-less doors like the new Cuben version...yet it weighs the same as it did last year with zippers. Hmmm...

I agree with puddlefish; I like the size of the Notch. I like its features over the one person zpacks tents...so I will quite likely upgrade to the Notch Li if it remains available for a while - this broken collar bone is putting a damper on my income which leads to less spending. :/

TX Aggie
02-18-2018, 22:54
The Duplex is a tarp tent, fly with attached floor and side mesh.
The notch is a double wall tent so not exactly comparable.
The end struts of the Notch add to the manufacturing cost but allows for a shorter footprint.

Yes, but value is still a consideration. Between the 3 choices (Original Notch, Notch Li, Duplex) I’ll take the original. If the Notch Li had come in under the price of the Duplex it would have been worth it me, but since I have no desire or need for a tent over $400 the two dynema options just aren’t viable.

Franco
02-18-2018, 23:27
In pretty much every forum, where I have seen the Notch Li discussed, at least one person pointed out the cost per ounce saved. I have just replied that basically that is the cost and in fact the TT difference is smaller than with other manufacturers.
Some think that Cuben may come down in price but going by the increasing price of other fabrics ( like silnylon) I don't see that happening.

Gambit McCrae
02-19-2018, 09:14
Henry really blew me away with the price point of this new campaign. It is his choice but when I saw the price I automatically gave that look like a just smelled a stinky fart but didn't understand where it had come from.

Don't want to keep banging on the zpacks drum but 1 last time...

Zpacks Duplex...21 oz for $600 for 2 person
Tarptent Notch Li.... 19.9 oz $649 for 1 person

I have a TT and a Duplex so I am not biased

yaduck9
02-19-2018, 13:09
Henry really blew me away with the price point of this new campaign. It is his choice but when I saw the price I automatically gave that look like a just smelled a stinky fart but didn't understand where it had come from.

Don't want to keep banging on the zpacks drum but 1 last time...

Zpacks Duplex...21 oz for $600 for 2 person
Tarptent Notch Li.... 19.9 oz $649 for 1 person

I have a TT and a Duplex so I am not biased

Zpacks Duplex...21 oz for $600 for 2 person............21 oz plus the weight of 8 stakes
Tarptent Notch Li.... 19.9 oz $649 for 1 person.........19.9 oz includes the weight of 4 stakes

Tarptent Notch Li approx 10 oz for the tarp without the inner net
Zpacks Duplex non removeable floor and netting..........

Tarptent Notch Potential to purchase Inner with semi solid walls for semi 4 season use
Zpacks Duplex not an option

Tarptent Notch Ability to replace inner, floor takes most of the wear
Zpacks Notch ? can always repair

Tarptent Notch set up in 2-3minutes minutes anyone with a Notch or Moment knows this
Zpacks Duplex 8 stakes to place and adjust

You may want to look at the Notch for its versatility........sort of like an adaptable "system" instead of a pure distinct solution OR you may not..............:-?

It may be more comparable to products like
https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/echo-ii-ultralight-system.html
https://www.yamamountaingear.com/cuben-fiber-cirriform-sw-1p/

Merely trying to provide a slightly different way of looking at it..........

reppans
02-19-2018, 14:44
I'm not shopping for a tent, and cuben doesn't meet my value criteria yet anyway, but between this Notch Li and a Duplex - I'd much prefer the Notch for the floorless config option.

I converted over to a floorless pyramid w/ inner tent a couple years ago and find I adore the floorless config option (just fly and footprint) as a practical 'in between' being outside, and zipped up inside a bug net - don't need to remove boots or zip through doors to lie down or access gear; 90%+ bug barrier even w/ door latched open; and in the rain you can use a chair inside, have a giant cooking space, and even dig an indoor latrine.

I still use the solo inner tent for sleeping as I have creepy crawlie phobia while obliviously asleep, but in all but the worst mosquito conditions, the inner tent is collapsed and fly door latched open while I'm awake. I now find fixed floors and doors better at keeping me out, than the bugs out.

Just another $0.02 opinion.

yaduck9
02-19-2018, 16:04
According to the Zpacks website, the exterior ridgeline width for the Duplex is 53 inches
http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/duplex.shtml#dimensions

According to the Ripstop by the roll website, the Width of a roll of Dyneema is 54 inches.
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/dyneema-composite-fabric/products/0-51-oz-dyneema-composite-fabric

Hummm.........makes me wonder if Joe Valesco ( owner of zpacks ) spent some time focusing on the ease of manufacturing, when he designed the duplex. That long wide panal that makes up the roof is probobly easier to mfg into a tent then the panels on competitor tents or even his other models, thus reducing the cost of waste and assembly.

Perhaps that is the genius of the Duplex Shelter and why it sells so well.

Kudos to Joe for designing the "volkswagon" of Dyneema tents.

fastfoxengineering
02-19-2018, 16:32
All I can say is.

I just picked up my new camo duplex for the USPS.

And this is the most baller home I've ever had.

For a few months in the buggy, rainy, muddy environment the AT has to offer, I think I'll be happy in my two person palace. Also.. great ventilation. I'm

I'm glad I made the decision to get one just by looking it over.

If I'm lucky enough to hike other trails on the other side of the country, I'll go back to a lighter more modular setup. Tarp and bivy probably.

For the east this thing is awesome.

As for the notch. My brother has one in silnylon.

Nice shelter. Looks nice in Cuben. But at that price I'm sure many people will pass on by.

Not saying it's not worth it. But, most people don't splurge $400+ for a stinkin tent. Unless they knows it's for them/what they need for their objectives.

And many just simply don't have the money

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

yaduck9
02-19-2018, 17:51

yes i agree..........i get along with a 25 dollar flip phone and a 25 dollar month cricket plan............:rolleyes:

IF i implied that you were going to be living out of a volkswagon for the next several months i sincerely apologize

soumodeler
02-19-2018, 17:51
Price reduced to $599.

Statement from TarpTent posted earlier:

We launched Tarptent on April 15, 2002. On that day, we made the statement on tarptent.com: (https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftarptent.com%2F&h=ATOHQXORtu0kil47hx99eJdm6qHJtyLfw-F9fh72JY6NOlCtVhaNG5DbH8s7Z68ewHofYsE0S7xtTU8c1Xei y33kcOhmO_0u8hY2T4B1zRbcv60lAM2NRECilI5mONBIaOZVE9 n9F6E0-ag08gVpZsHqXXsaNoM-RVm1x38lo3k_H4ZjhswYUL_todPhfYe_Piw8UkilZ0ba7AFerP su_i38_x9Jf2j2ons2JwNfowdd_iKzKsWalvc) "What's next? You tell us. We listen."
Fast forward to 2018. You're still telling us and we're still listening. The Notch Li is the culmination of a year of product engineering and development and a direct byproduct of what many of you have been asking us to produce. Dyneema® is a high-performance, expensive fabric, and the truth is that we have resisted using it because it conflicts with our firm commitment to produce affordable "Sewn in Seattle" shelters. Our commitment to an affordable product lineup remains, but the Lithium series offers us and you a chance to move into another dimension of ultralight performance where price comes second.
We set the initial price based on our costs and on a survey of other Dyneema® double wall shelters. Then, you responded, and we listened. Intently. We heard you. As our vision statement says, our mission is "to lessen the load and lift the spirit by providing lightweight, innovative shelters." We think the Notch Li is a fantastic product and we want you to have it. Toward that end, when ordering opens tomorrow, the price will be $599. Please be patient as we work to increase our production capability and efficiency.
We're all in this together and we couldn't do what we do without you. Thank you.
-The Tarptent Team

jgillam
02-19-2018, 17:54
The price drop was a good move. It puts them in a nice place to compete in the market, especially with a unknown product.

Franco
02-19-2018, 19:23
All I can say is.

I just picked up my new camo duplex for the USPS.

And this is the most baller home I've ever had.

For a few months in the buggy, rainy, muddy environment the AT has to offer, I think I'll be happy in my two person palace. Also.. great ventilation. I'm

I'm glad I made the decision to get one just by looking it over.

If I'm lucky enough to hike other trails on the other side of the country, I'll go back to a lighter more modular setup. Tarp and bivy probably.

For the east this thing is awesome.

As for the notch. My brother has one in silnylon.

Nice shelter. Looks nice in Cuben. But at that price I'm sure many people will pass on by.

Not saying it's not worth it. But, most people don't splurge $400+ for a stinkin tent. Unless they knows it's for them/what they need for their objectives.

Most people don't buy a tent at all , they rather play tennis or something, but I find it curious that you mention $400 plus for a stinking tent when obviously there are a lot of hikers that have bought Cuben Fiber tents and $400 isn't really even a median price for those...

fastfoxengineering
02-19-2018, 20:35
Most people don't buy a tent at all , they rather play tennis or something, but I find it curious that you mention $400 plus for a stinking tent when obviously there are a lot of hikers that have bought Cuben Fiber tents and $400 isn't really even a median price for those...Yes but the amount of hikers who buy <$400 tents like tarptents and other silnylon tents far outweigh the amount of people buying cuben.

I'm in the cuben crowd. But hiking is a big part of my life.

Franco
02-19-2018, 20:42
When I was young our tent was a knotted handkerchief on our heads and that was considered a luxury...
( I'm going to look up now how that word came about...)
A few minutes ago I was on a photo forum where people are going on about $3000 camera bodies. Then you need to buy a lens or two for it to work.
We are lucky here.

Franco
02-19-2018, 20:47
Turns out the handkerchief, the word, did originate from two words that in French meant head covering. So I was doing it right all along. And to think of what people do now with them now !

Singto
02-19-2018, 20:52
If I were selling a product, I would listen to potential customers instead of trying to convince them that their basis for buying is wrong. Business 101.

Gambit McCrae
02-20-2018, 17:11
If I want a floorless option I pull out my 9oz tarp. I do not look for versatility in my shelters. I put 2000 miles on my TT strato without using it once without the mesh inner.

Henry did lower his price to $599 FWIW

capehiker
02-20-2018, 22:39
People have been begging for Henry to release a cuben tent and Henry always maintained a position that he wouldn’t sell a tent that he thought was too expensive. Now he produces a tent that’s expensive and people are having a fit. Hilarious.

yaduck9
02-21-2018, 03:16
People have been begging for Henry to release a cuben tent and Henry always maintained a position that he wouldn’t sell a tent that he thought was too expensive. Now he produces a tent that’s expensive and people are having a fit. Hilarious.

What would have been even more fun is if he had raised the price...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

JoeVogel
02-21-2018, 17:49
Zpacks Duplex...21 oz for $600 for 2 person............21 oz plus the weight of 8 stakes
Tarptent Notch Li.... 19.9 oz $649 for 1 person.........19.9 oz includes the weight of 4 stakes

Tarptent Notch Li approx 10 oz for the tarp without the inner net
Zpacks Duplex non removeable floor and netting..........

Tarptent Notch Potential to purchase Inner with semi solid walls for semi 4 season use
Zpacks Duplex not an option

Tarptent Notch Ability to replace inner, floor takes most of the wear
Zpacks Notch ? can always repair

Tarptent Notch set up in 2-3minutes minutes anyone with a Notch or Moment knows this
Zpacks Duplex 8 stakes to place and adjust

You may want to look at the Notch for its versatility........sort of like an adaptable "system" instead of a pure distinct solution OR you may not..............:-?

It may be more comparable to products like
https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/echo-ii-ultralight-system.html
https://www.yamamountaingear.com/cuben-fiber-cirriform-sw-1p/

Merely trying to provide a slightly different way of looking at it..........

My thoughts exactly. I really was really turned off that it takes 8 stakes to secure the z-packs soloplex or duplex the soloplex. The versatility of having the double wall is very nice. I would really like to see a Saddle 2 with Dyneema. Interested to see what the weight and price would be in comparison.

Franco
02-21-2018, 18:46
The struts on several of the TT shelters reduce the amount of stakes and the space needed around the tent but increase production cost and weight.
As they say, pick your poison.

capehiker
02-21-2018, 23:20
What would have been even more fun is if he had raised the price...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

Lol. That would be classic.

JoeVogel
02-22-2018, 13:19
It seems a lot of people are comparing the Notch Li with the Z-Packs Duplex. I don't see these as comparable products at all due to a number of reasons but one main reason being that the Notch is a single person tent and the Duplex is a two person tent. That brought me to wonder what the Saddle 2 would weigh if made with Dyneema. So, I took the difference % of the Notch to the Notch Li and calculated, in theory, what the Saddle 2 might weight if/when made with Dyneema.

(all numbers are in oz.)

Notch Fly: 16
Notch Li Fly: 10.1
% difference: 36.875% reduction

Notch Mesh Interior: 9.6
Notch Li Mesh Interior: 8.2
% difference: 14.583% reduction

Saddle 2 Fly: 20
36.875% of 20 = 7.375
Saddle 2 Mesh Interior: 16
14.583% of 16 = 2.333

20 - 7.375 = 12.643
16 - 2.333 = 13.667
13.667 + 12.643 = 26.31 oz

Assuming the stakes and lines would weight the same either way my estimated weight of a Saddle 2 Li would be 27.31 oz.

I obviously know this is purely speculation and hopefully the Saddle 2 Li would weigh less than this but I do think that the saddle 2 would be a better comparison than the Notch Li to the Duplex.

yaduck9
02-22-2018, 14:27
[QUOTE=JoeVogel;2195556]It seems a lot of people are comparing the Notch Li with the Z-Packs Duplex. I don't see these as comparable products at all due to a number of reasons but one main reason being that the Notch is a single person tent and the Duplex is a two person tent. That brought me to wonder what the Saddle 2 would weigh if made with Dyneema. So, I took the difference % of the Notch to the Notch Li and calculated, in theory, what the Saddle 2 might weight if/when made with Dyneema.

(all numbers are in oz.)

Notch Fly: 16
Notch Li Fly: 10.1
% difference: 36.875% reduction

Notch Mesh Interior: 9.6
Notch Li Mesh Interior: 8.2
% difference: 14.583% reduction

Saddle 2 Fly: 20
36.875% of 20 = 7.375 I think you mean 63.125 % of 20 = 12.6 oz ( ? )
Saddle 2 Mesh Interior: 16
14.583% of 16 = 2.333

yaduck9
02-22-2018, 14:29
DOH I now see shat you did .........IGNORE the previous post

yaduck9
02-22-2018, 15:05
Dang............The Z packs Duplex does have a kinda of, sort of, double wall option

http://zpacks.com/accessories/double_wall_insert.shtml

3 oz and 99 buckeroos

ALSO:

The Zpacks Duplex TARP ( not the tent ) has a spec of 9.5 oz

From the web site

Weight:

The Duplex Tarp with taped seams and sewn in linelocs weighs 9.5 ounces (269 grams)
The included guy lines and door clips weigh about 1.2 ounces (34 grams)
The sewn in bathtub floor and bug screen weighs 10.0 ounces (284 grams)
The included medium-plus 7" x 13" stuff sack adds .3 ounces (8 grams)
The total weight for the packed tent is 21.0 ounces (595 grams).
8x Stakes are required but are not included. We have a variety of Ultralight Stakes (http://zpacks.com/accessories/stakes.shtml) to choose from.
These weights are as accurate as possible. Compare carefully! Many other manufacturers leave out seam sealing, lines, line locs, stuff sack, stakes, etc from their weights.

So your estimate of 27 oz seems to be a reasonable estimate , considering the Duplex an the Double wall insert would be 21 oz plus 3 oz = 24 oz. The extra 3 oz could be ( speculation ) in the carbon triangles at the ends.

More things to obsess about.

DralaHiker
08-20-2018, 00:51
I just left a message with my broker to cut me a check tomorrow. Now to figure out how to get in the phone que some 3am EDT August 27!

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA

Franco
08-24-2018, 22:46
BTW, soon there will be anothe DCF Tarptent.
This time it is a double and still 2 walls. (modular so you can just use the fly if you like)
TT SS Li
franco @ tarptent

martinb
08-25-2018, 20:21
Any specs on it? I have the Notch Li and am enjoying it. Wish it had a little more room though.

Franco
08-26-2018, 18:54
https://www.tarptent.com/product/stratospire-li/
Henry is having some fun flying his drone and the video clip does help in giving a much better idea of its shape.

Odd Man Out
08-26-2018, 21:46
I have a sil nylon Notch and have considered moving up to a ZPacks Duplex, not just to save weight, but also to get something a little roomier and the performance of CF. However I must admit that I've grown to appreciate the ease of setting up a tent with only 4 tent stakes. The large number of stakes needed for other tents has made me think twice. I think I will stick with my current tent for now.

DuneElliot
08-27-2018, 09:15
BTW, soon there will be anothe DCF Tarptent.
This time it is a double and still 2 walls. (modular so you can just use the fly if you like)
TT SS Li
franco @ tarptent

This is the tent I have been wanting for, well, like forever...a modular DCF tent. I always liked the design of the SS but hate silnylon for the outer wall and I need something more designed for the Scottish weather now I'm moving back to the UK. What is the comparison in usable floor/head space when compared to the Duplex?

Ashepabst
08-27-2018, 10:43
oops, I just drooled a little bit.

MtDoraDave
08-27-2018, 14:08
I'm curious what a Protrail would weigh in cuben... If it could compete with zpacks single wall tents.

trailmercury
08-27-2018, 15:22
I'm curious what a Protrail would weigh in cuben... If it could compete with zpacks single wall tents.

It might be competitive weight-wise, but because of it's end entry design vs Zpacks side entry, It would still be an inferior shelter.

Franco
08-27-2018, 19:04
This is the floor plan of the SS Li
There is a 3D clip on the product page, under Usable Volume, with two 6' dummies inside.
https://www.tarptent.com/product/stratospire-li/#tab-id-4

Franco
08-27-2018, 19:08
It might be competitive weight-wise, but because of it's end entry design vs Zpacks side entry, It would still be an inferior shelter.
It depends on what you like.
There are other factors , for example the ProTrail has a relatively small footprint and only needs 4 stakes without guyllines in decent weather.

DuneElliot
08-29-2018, 12:37
Well I ordered the SS Li. Now I'm anxiously waiting for the shipping confirmation.

Venchka
08-29-2018, 16:42
I know you’re going to love it. It’s a 2 person right?
I do have the real double wall inner tent. Maybe that helps stop the sag and no condensation on my bag.
Who knows. I love it. If I remember my earplugs in the rain!
Wayne

OwenM
09-27-2018, 05:58
I'm semi-interested in a Dyneema Notch fly if that were to be made available separately(have both inners and a ZPacks Solo cuben floor, already). All else being equal, cost per oz. saved is nearly $35 in that instance, but I'm more interested in it not stretching or taking on water than anything. My Notch fly does not actually need replacing, having no damage, and a seam being resealed plus some silicone spray being the only "repairs" it's received after 6yrs and probably in the neighborhood of 300 nights' use.

I'm at a point where weight no longer really matters, but won't pretend that the idea of a 15oz total shelter system(using the Solo floor) doesn't still have some appeal! That's freaking awesome for what is, to me, a very liveable 1p shelter.